Batter preference change on Tama Silverstars

AxisDrummer

Hey guys,

Quick background: my first set 20 years ago was a Sears Gretsch entry-level kit. The toms were standard sizes for that time period (12x10, 13x11, 16x16) Stock heads were paper. I was a huge mark for Lars at the time and went with Remo Clear Pinstripes on batters and Ebony Amb on bottom. Actually this really made this entry level set sound decent. Killed the overtones. As a teenager, it sounded great. When we played shows, everything was mic'd up and sounded killer with lots of attack.

Fast forward to now, returning to drums after a decade-plus layoff. I bought a Tama Silverstar Birch last year with shallower toms (10x8, 12x9, 14x12, 16x14). The stock heads sounded good but then I went with "old faithful" and swapped out the resos for Ambs and batters for Clear Pinstripes. The Pinstripes sound alright in my finished basement but I still don't feel like they allow the tones of the drum to come through like the stock heads did. But now we're playing shows in small venues where I don't mic anything but the kick. I had a fellow musician come to our show and said he can't even hear the toms about 20ft away on louder rock songs (keeping in mind they have to cut through 2 Marshall stacks and bass rig.)

I guess after that long-winded explanation, my question is: will I be happier with the projection of my toms if I go with a Clear Emperor batter on my toms? Or perhaps Ambassador? I'm inclined to suggest Emperor at first just because of durability although I'm not a brutal hitter. I won't be mic'ing my toms at any of these small venues so I want some projection although I realize there will be overtones. Moongels will solve that problem at home for rehearsals.

And I'm not going to claim to be a tuning expert.....but I manage. :)

For things to work out for you at those small venues, maybe one or two overhead condenser mics are the answer.

Personally I wouldn't have gone with the Pinstripe batters, but again I never had a Silverstar kit to re-head. I probably would have tried either Ambassador coated or Emperor clear, if you wanted to stay with Remo. Thinking about this more, probably the Emperors. You can handle the "overtones" when tuning your drums. If you still cannot be heard, either unplug their amps or use microphones for sound reinforcement to help equalize the on stage playing volume.

Dennis

Personally I wouldn't have gone with the Pinstripe batters, but again I never had a Silverstar kit to re-head. I probably would have tried either Ambassador coated or Emperor clear, if you wanted to stay with Remo. Thinking about this more, probably the Emperors. You can handle the "overtones" when tuning your drums. If you still cannot be heard, either unplug their amps or use microphones for sound reinforcement to help equalize the on stage playing volume.

Dennis

Yeah I just went with the Clear Pinstripes assuming they'd sound good based on past experience. I'm pretty geared toward clear heads so I'm thinking I'll go with Clear Emperors as my instinct and your suggestion suggests.

Aren't Pinstripes and Emperors both 2 ply 7mm? Don't want to trade in an apple for an apple. But I'm assuming the Emperors will make the toms sound more "lively" due to no dampening ring.

I've also heard comments that my acrylic and brass snares (which I think sound like a gunshot) are lost about 50ft out from the stage, unless it's a ballad-y song. No turning down amps unfortunately....but I"m sure some of you can relate. I may just have to mic the rest of the kit if new heads don't do it for me.

Last edited:
Yeah I just went with the Clear Pinstripes assuming they'd sound good based on past experience. I'm pretty geared toward clear heads so I'm thinking I'll go with Clear Emperors as my instinct and your suggestion suggests.

Aren't Pinstripes and Emperors both 2 ply 7mm? Don't want to trade in an apple for an apple. But I'm assuming the Emperors will make the toms sound more "lively" due to no dampening ring.

I've also heard comments that my acrylic and brass snares (which I think sound like a gunshot) are lost about 50ft out from the stage, unless it's a ballad-y song. No turning down amps unfortunately....but I"m sure some of you can relate. I may just have to mic the rest of the kit if new heads don't do it for me.

Their main composition are both two plies of 7mil Mylar, but the Pinstripes also has a layer of ring reducing agent placed between these two plies. This is probably what's hampering your sound. Many, many years ago I used Remo Pinstripes almost exclusively. They might work for some overly aggressive shells, but evidently the Silver Stars aren't. At least in the context of your playing. Just get one head at first to hear if this would be the solution.

Dennis

Back