DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old Today, 01:07 AM
Platinum Member

Default I actually like the Evans EMAD

So I got a little Pearl Vision Bop kit the other day (in classic champagne sparkle) and before I got it I was ready to replace all the heads except for the bass drum head.

My only choice was an Evans EMAD my local Sam Ash had in stock. My plan was to get a PowerStroke 3, or something just thick because the drum is small, I didn't want it too dead. I was unsure of the EMAD. I saw one on a friend's 22 bass drum and thought it worked 'ok' - it was still a little too dead for my taste. But since this was the only bass drum head available to me without having to order something, I took it home and put it on.

I was pleasantly surprised that it sounded good on this tiny bass drum! I'm not using the fatter foam ring, just the little thin one. It sounds great. If I need to open it up a little, I simply remove the foam ring and the remaining black frame that holds the ring muffles it just enough to give you a bigger 'oomph'. Maybe with my 18" being tuned a bit tighter than your middle-of-the-road 22" that helps with the drum from sounding too dead. Anyway, I have an acceptable bass drum sound for my new acquisition, and like it. In fact, with proper heads and tuning on this kit, the kit sounds better than I thought it would.

I decided to eliminate a bad first impression by not even trying the stock Remo UT heads - as soon as they came out of the boxes, the heads were coming off! So now I have a pile of these Remo UT heads that are brand new ;)
Old Today, 01:11 AM

Default Re: I actually like the Evans EMAD

Emad on a gretsch renown maple 20" kick, Heaven! friend of mine did it and it was absolutly amazing :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
So I got a little Pearl Vision Bop kit the other day (in classic champagne sparkle) and before I got it I was ready to replace all the heads except for the bass drum head.

My only choice was an Evans EMAD my local Sam Ash had in stock. My plan was to get a PowerStroke 3, or something just thick because the drum is small, I didn't want it too dead. I was unsure of the EMAD. I saw one on a friend's 22 bass drum and thought it worked 'ok' - it was still a little too dead for my taste. But since this was the only bass drum head available to me without having to order something, I took it home and put it on.

I was pleasantly surprised that it sounded good on this tiny bass drum! I'm not using the fatter foam ring, just the little thin one. It sounds great. If I need to open it up a little, I simply remove the foam ring and the remaining black frame that holds the ring muffles it just enough to give you a bigger 'oomph'. Maybe with my 18" being tuned a bit tighter than your middle-of-the-road 22" that helps with the drum from sounding too dead. Anyway, I have an acceptable bass drum sound for my new acquisition, and like it. In fact, with proper heads and tuning on this kit, the kit sounds better than I thought it would.

I decided to eliminate a bad first impression by not even trying the stock Remo UT heads - as soon as they came out of the boxes, the heads were coming off! So now I have a pile of these Remo UT heads that are brand new ;)
Old Today, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post

Hi !

Glad you like the EMAD... It's so hard to find a 18" bass drum head today... The only one
in stock where I live is an Evans EQ3, double ply... I almost buy it but 2 ply for a 18" BD ?

The last EMAD that I had, probably in 2006, was sounding good but the foam rigs were
rattling like (E)mad... What do you think about that, did Evans correct the problem with newer
skins ?? is the foam tight enough so it doesn't move ?

Phil.
Old Today, 01:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_qc View Post
Hi !

Glad you like the EMAD... It's so hard to find a 18" bass drum head today... The only one
in stock where I live is an Evans EQ3, double ply... I almost buy it but 2 ply for a 18" BD ?

The last EMAD that I had, probably in 2006, was sounding good but the foam rigs were
rattling like (E)mad... What do you think about that, did Evans correct the problem with newer
skins ?? is the foam tight enough so it doesn't move ?

Phil.
I wasn't aware of that issue. Maybe that's something I have to look forward to :/
Well, I'm sure I'll have stocked a few Remo PowerStroke 3's in the next few weeks....
Old Today, 04:32 AM
"Uncle Larry"

The black thing that held the foam ring in place used to split and rattle. They've since sorted that out, and it's no longer an issue. The EMAD 1 is my first choice in bass drum batter heads, without any foam rings. I like the attack, and everything else about that head.