DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-29-2013, 10:37 AM

Default How to set up IEM system for gigging?

hi guys!
firstly let me apologise for my english, beforehand. it is not my native language
secondly let me say that i have read numerous threads over the internet (including this forum), yet i am more puzzled than ever.

so before i start asking questions, please let me describe what i want to achieve with my band and describe our live set up

we are 3 guys. i play the drums, we have a singer (who also uses a vocal pedal ,boss ve-20 if i am not mistaken) and a bassist (yes no guitars), who uses a splitter to split the signal and send it to both a bass amp and a guitar amp!

(if you want to check ous out, www.facebook.com/iola11 )

well, we (especially me) are tired of ****** monitors on stage. it messes with our performance and we wantt o see what we can do about it.

let me start by saying that we have always our own sound engineer with us (unless we gig out of our city). i mention this cause it could make things easy for us, if someone mentions some complicated set up.

firstly i was looking for iem only for me. i was thinking of a wireless solution something like sennheiser ew 300 g2. still they dont come cheap and they are difficult to find. but when i started discussing with the other guys, they showed some interest. it is expensive to choose a wireless approach, but i think it has the easisest setup. id like to also ask some questions so that you can help me decide if perhaps we should get a wired monitor system instead.

my main concern about wired iem is that, if i understand it well (if i am wrong please correct me), we have to get a cable from foh to our stage where we are. this could mean we would need to have a cable running even 15 meters long sometimes, and it is very likely that someone could trip on it and unplug it or anything. we do hate that. so if we can not avoid that the only option left is a wireless iem.
but i am also thinking that the monitors each club has one stage, are connected to the foh already. so, is there a way i could for example unplug the stage monitor and connect its cable somehow to my wired iems system? would that work? has anyone tried it? is it something that people tend to do when they have wired setup? and is it something both the vocalist and bassist of ours could do as well? or alternatively if stage monitors have aux, can i plug in my wired iems in the stage monitor aux?
if what i describe above is plausible, can you recommend some wired iems we should get? (from what i understand, wired iems are simply an amplifier with a limiter right?)

second alternative is this. i dont know if we can do this but let me describe what i am thinking.
we are thinking of buying a console to have on stage. so that we can plug in it whatever we may need from an ipad to a monotron or a laptop etc. if our engineer connects our console to the stage with a d.i. can he also send us our monitor mixes to our console and we could from there directly plug in our in ear monitors? or we still will need the amplifier and limiter wired iem setup and not just the headphones?
and what kind of console should we aim for? what characteristics should it have? and channels outputs etc?

to sum it up i am between 3 configurations (i dont know if they can all happen but anyway)

wireless iem setup
wired iems and each signal comes from the stage monitors
wired iem setup through a stage console

can you tell me what would be better? also what would be the best value for money set up? i am really thinking we could go wired and spend the extra cash on good headphones (anyone can recommend custom iem that are great vfm?)
well since we would definitely at some point need our own console on stage, if we could somehow create a wired set up with the help of a console, id like to read more about it.

i am very puzzled and id appreciate all the help and advice i could get

thank you again, apologies for my english and of many "stupid " questions! take care

ps. would a Fischer Amps In-Ear Monitor BP ( http://www.thomann.de/gr/fischer_amp...monitor_bp.htm ) do what i need? it seems to get the monitor feed (i dont know from where, from the wedge probably?) and has a limiter. is there something similar i should check? cheers
Old 06-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: How to set up IEM system for gigging?

I can't help with the monitoring system itself, but as far as IEM's go, many drummers recommend something with 2 drivers per ear as being perfectly sufficient. Some will even add a 10" sub or so next to them for bass monitoring so you can feel the punch if necessary. I myself have Heir Audio 3.ai's that are great universal fitting IEM's, but the company also makes custom fitting models starting at 450 USD. You can easily find something for less, companies like Cosmic Ears do a 2 driver CIEM for 250 EUR, or you could get a set of universals at almost any price point - there are many forums online and resources dedicated to helping buyers find great valued IEM's at any price point. Best of luck to you!
Old 06-30-2013, 11:19 AM

Default Re: How to set up IEM system for gigging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodgey4 View Post
I can't help with the monitoring system itself, but as far as IEM's go, many drummers recommend something with 2 drivers per ear as being perfectly sufficient. Some will even add a 10" sub or so next to them for bass monitoring so you can feel the punch if necessary. I myself have Heir Audio 3.ai's that are great universal fitting IEM's, but the company also makes custom fitting models starting at 450 USD. You can easily find something for less, companies like Cosmic Ears do a 2 driver CIEM for 250 EUR, or you could get a set of universals at almost any price point - there are many forums online and resources dedicated to helping buyers find great valued IEM's at any price point. Best of luck to you!
hi my friend and thank you for your answer
i am really thinking of getting the BA4 from cosmic ears. i think the price is awesome, and as a drummer it will have 2drivers for lows which is awesome. i will try and get an endorsement from them, though it will be difficult but i have nothing to lose (any tip on that is welcome). i know custom iems are more expensive but i wonder if i get universal iems and apply this http://www.ebay.com/itm/171036831768...84.m1438.l2649 if the outcome will be just as good. and if it will save money. but i guess since cosmetic ears are low enough i should get theiems from them. only thing that worries me are the ear impressions i have to get. i dunno if audiologists in greece are any good... thanx for the reply my friend