DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-27-2013, 05:45 PM

Default Multiple large+heavy cymbals on one stand

I'm looking for ways to lose some weight... off my hardware. Currently, I have a
  • no-name boom stand with
  • two multi-clamps and
  • two no-name top tubes-plus-cymbal-booms.

carrying a
  • 22" ride;
  • 18" crash (perhaps a bigger one in the future); and one
  • 18" china.

I was thinking about getting a lighter boom stand (Gibraltar or Yamaha) and replacing the current surplus tubing with two dedicated cymbal holders, such as Pearl's CH-70:

However, I have my doubts whether such a setup would be flexible and stable enough. What are your thoughts, experiences, solutions, photo's?
Old 06-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Multiple large+heavy cymbals on one stand

Not sure if you should lose the weight. In fact, I'd get a much heavier stand, like DW 9000 stuff to mount that many cymbals off one stand. Or get three separate light weight flat base stands.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Not sure if you should lose the weight.
Thanks, but that's not the answer I was hoping for (in this context). :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
In fact, I'd get a much heavier stand, like DW 9000 stuff to mount that many cymbals off one stand. Or get three separate light weight flat base stands.
Well, the current setup works (in terms of stability). Thing is, I carry this 'triple stand' from the parking lot all the way to the rehearsal room (with a cymbal caddy in the other hand and a snare a stick bag on the back). Therefore, extra stands (and yet more weight) aren't desirable.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

I've had 2 and 3 cymbals mounted on one stand before, and I wouldn't go lighter than what you have with the main stand either.

I'm pretty sure that Pearl clamp without the boom arm is available. Gibraltar offers a clamp like that too. You could use the arms you have, unless they aren't long enough.

Not sure how much weight that would loose though. No matter what you do, mounting 3 cymbals off of one stand, and have it be stable, is going to be a little heavy.

Not what you want to hear though, sorry.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:52 PM

No apologies necessary, KarlCrafton. On the contrary, I appreciate your advice.

I think I'll come to terms with the weight of my current rig. It has proven itself in practice; whereas other options are uncertain (in terms of reliability or set-up flexibility). Plus I'm lusting after larger cymbals...

Meanwhile, I've discovered that I have a bag lying around that could serve as a 'caddy'. It has wheels and it can easily accommodate the stand(s), cymbals and a snare. I will try it tonight on my way to/from band rehearsal.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:24 AM
audiotech

This medium weight Ludwig cymbal stand carries the weight of an 18" crash, 16" crash, 10" x 7" rack tom and an audio table. This has more weight distributed on it than any of my other cymbal stands. I really doubt that a flat base stand could handle this with the same rigidity. I've owned flat based stands back in the sixties and although the modern version of these stands are much better built, I still prefer the standard types of stands for more reliability and stability.

Dennis