DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-25-2013, 10:20 PM

Default 50 foot xlr cables?

I am looking for a bunch of these and wanna get an idea of what to buy for good value?
I have been told seismic audio is good but Ia m worried about the quality. Id rather spend a little more than be disappointed but I also don't want to spend like $40+ per cable.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: 50 foot xlr cables?

How many are you looking to buy and will they all be running down the same line? If so, you ought to look at a cable snake rather than separate cables.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
How many are you looking to buy and will they all be running down the same line? If so, you ought to look at a cable snake rather than separate cables.
Amen!

OP - Are these to mic your drums on stage or in the studio? I'd absolutely suggest getting a snake!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Everything will be ran for drum mics. Mostly live for now but eventually studio. I thought about a snake but I thought it would be more maneuverable with separate cables. If I went with a snake do you suggest any particular one?I found these two options so far that look good to me for separate cables. The planet waves seem worth the extra $ but idk.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pack-Plane...item1e7bc89ce7

and these are the seismic audios
http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/...x-50black8.htm
Old 06-25-2013, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

I don't have a specific recommendation. Over the years I can't remember what I've used.

Separate cables do have advantages but if you're handy with a soldering iron there's no reason why you can't repair the connectors (which are the part that is most liable to breaking and therefore should be the best quality you can get). Snakes with a stage box are much easier and what you will see run in professional situations 90% of the time. In terms of flexibility, typically you would run a snake directly from the desk to a stage box (which is at the end of the snake) and then you would connect separate cables from the stage box to the microphones. The advantage of doing it this way is that you have assigned channels from the desk to the stage box and you can plug your microphones in in a more orderly fashion. Otherwise you're running a cable from the desk straight to the microphone. If you then decide that you wan't the overhead in channel 5 rather than 4 (for instance) then you don't have to walk back and forth and there's no chance of somebody tripping over a 50-foot cable connected to a delicate microphone.

Add that to the fact that you're only worrying about hiding one cable (effectively) with a snake and it becomes much easier. Running eight separate cables means taping together all the cables and then securing them to the floor - which takes a lot of time.

So, cable snakes have a number of advantages, are about the same price (it's cheaper for a snake but you have to buy separate XLR cables for the last stage from the stage box to the microphones) and they're safer to use in a public environment.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:20 AM
Platinum Member

If you know how to solder you can make your own. The connectors are what cost. Good Switchcraft connectors could run you over $10 each and good bulk cable like Canare or Mogami could be expensive for a roll, but worth it in the long run. 50' isn't an unheard of size to be carried at a store, just don't cheap out. Rapco brand at the very least. You'd be amazed at how better cabling makes a huge difference!
Old 06-26-2013, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
If you know how to solder you can make your own. The connectors are what cost. Good Switchcraft connectors could run you over $10 each and good bulk cable like Canare or Mogami could be expensive for a roll, but worth it in the long run. 50' isn't an unheard of size to be carried at a store, just don't cheap out. Rapco brand at the very least. You'd be amazed at how better cabling makes a huge difference!
Are those planet waves any good? They are going for like $35 a piece on sale at musicians freind but that ebay store has them cheaper if you buy four its like $90 about. Oh and on the word of snakes to those who mentioned them I was thinking about making my own because I don't understand why I need the snake box or whatever its called if Im gonna run the cable from my mixer to the mic it seems like an extra step. Am I wrong?
Old 06-26-2013, 03:28 AM
"Uncle Larry"

50 foot cables are a GIANT pain in the a$$ to coil up and store. It takes 3x as long to wind up a 50 foot than 2 - 25 foot cables because of all the twists. I'll never buy a 50 foot cable again. Go 30 foot tops and string them together if you need to.

The cable snake is for when the mixer is FOH not on the stage. If your mixer is on the stage, and all the cables all reach, a snake is not needed.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
50 foot cables are a GIANT pain in the a$$ to coil up and store. It takes 3x as long to wind up a 50 foot than 2 - 25 foot cables because of all the twists. I'll never buy a 50 foot cable again. Go 30 foot tops and string them together if you need to.

The cable snake is for when the mixer is FOH not on the stage. If your mixer is on the stage, and all the cables all reach, a snake is not needed.
the mixer will not be on stage more than likely it will be in front or to the side of us off the stage depending on the gig.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 412drummer View Post
Are those planet waves any good? They are going for like $35 a piece on sale at musicians freind but that ebay store has them cheaper if you buy four its like $90 about. Oh and on the word of snakes to those who mentioned them I was thinking about making my own because I don't understand why I need the snake box or whatever its called if Im gonna run the cable from my mixer to the mic it seems like an extra step. Am I wrong?
Snakes are used when you want your mic connections in one central location. For instance, next to my kit I have my mixer, but I run a short snake from the mixer to the front, because I want all the mic cables plugging into a central location in front of the kit - its an added step, but it looks neater, and any time you have to troubleshoot your lines, the less confusion, the better, I say. You don't only have to use a snake if your house mixing console is not on stage. It just depends on how you like to work. It sounds like you just want to get cables plugged in.

Planet Waves are OK, but I don't deal with them. If you get high quality stuff, you shouldn't experience any of the hassles Larry is talking about. I can quickly loop a 50-foot cable when it doesn't kink up on itself. This is why I recommend Canare or Mogami cable and Switchcraft connectors. Time tested and proven. You can do as Larry suggests and get shorter cables and link them together, but everytime you introduce another connector you're introducing the chance of problems arising in the signal path. So if you can avoid it, I would. I'm assuming you know how to wrap a cable correctly?

When in doubt, go long, because you can always dress it up and make it clean. If you go too short then that's a problem.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Snakes are used when you want your mic connections in one central location. For instance, next to my kit I have my mixer, but I run a short snake from the mixer to the front, because I want all the mic cables plugging into a central location in front of the kit - its an added step, but it looks neater, and any time you have to troubleshoot your lines, the less confusion, the better, I say. You don't only have to use a snake if your house mixing console is not on stage. It just depends on how you like to work. It sounds like you just want to get cables plugged in.

Planet Waves are OK, but I don't deal with them. If you get high quality stuff, you shouldn't experience any of the hassles Larry is talking about. I can quickly loop a 50-foot cable when it doesn't kink up on itself. This is why I recommend Canare or Mogami cable and Switchcraft connectors. Time tested and proven. You can do as Larry suggests and get shorter cables and link them together, but everytime you introduce another connector you're introducing the chance of problems arising in the signal path. So if you can avoid it, I would. I'm assuming you know how to wrap a cable correctly?

When in doubt, go long, because you can always dress it up and make it clean. If you go too short then that's a problem.
Right now I mostly just want to get plugged into the mixer because were just running one huge one. I could potentially use another one but at this point I am just getting into micing and not sure if it would benefit us yet.I was thinking just buy good 50 foot cables make my own snake and then add the box down the road if I needed it. I could do that correct? Sorry for so many questions in this thread I just have no idea about this stuff.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:04 AM
audiotech

I really can't remember ever buying pre-made audio cables in any termination. I learned to solder very early in my life, I think I was about five when my grandfather bought me my first Weller soldering gun, lol. If you can solder, this would be the best way to go because even if you buy a snake, you'll still need interconnecting cables from it to the microphones. When I make microphone cables I usually use Belden 8412, 8413 or Canare Quad cable. The Canare cable I use comes in different colors to help differentiate what microphones go to which inputs. I also made the 16 channel snake that I use in my studio. It had to be 60 feet, so that's what I made it.

I really don't know the quality of the many pre-packaged cables or if their costs directly reflect the quality. I do know that some 50 foot cables can get very expensive depending on what you buy. With a 50 foot run on each of the cables, they'll probably get trampled a bit and also pulled around the stage area which could mean connector failure at some point in time. I've seen roadies just pull a stuck cable rather than find out the reason why it is stuck.

BTW, check out Markertek in New York and price some of their 50ft cables. I would feel more confident with them than I would buying them off some stores peg board.

Dennis
Old 06-26-2013, 05:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Right now I mostly just want to get plugged into the mixer because were just running one huge one. I could potentially use another one but at this point I am just getting into micing and not sure if it would benefit us yet.I was thinking just buy good 50 foot cables make my own snake and then add the box down the road if I needed it. I could do that correct? Sorry for so many questions in this thread I just have no idea about this stuff.
I've built specialized snakes for a friends' recording studio and believe me, it's too much work. It's much cheaper to just find the right kind of snake you need and buy it. Snakes come in all kinds of configurations. Shop Sweetwater.com to see what they have available for ideas. Start with the 50s and see what you need after that. Audio gear is like that, if you buy it now and find you don't need it, hold on to it as it will come in handy on something else.

You're only talking four cables, so potentially having a snake is a bit of overkill for you.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
I've built specialized snakes for a friends' recording studio and believe me, it's too much work. It's much cheaper to just find the right kind of snake you need and buy it. Snakes come in all kinds of configurations. Shop Sweetwater.com to see what they have available for ideas. Start with the 50s and see what you need after that. Audio gear is like that, if you buy it now and find you don't need it, hold on to it as it will come in handy on something else.

You're only talking four cables, so potentially having a snake is a bit of overkill for you.
Thanks for the advice (to everyone else as well). I will look into all of the mentioned options and see what I can afford, value point, and what suits my situation of what all was mentioned.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice (to everyone else as well). I will look into all of the mentioned options and see what I can afford, value point, and what suits my situation of what all was mentioned.

50' XLR's are meant for permanent installs, or runs that are overhead, or protected under something.

With a 50 foot run on each of the cables, they'll probably get trampled a bit and also pulled around the stage area which could mean connector failure at some point in time. Yes and yes.

String two 20's together if you need too. Snakes are designed to be trampled on, XLR cables are not.

XLR cables are le$$ than a snake, but when they get damaged they'll end up co$ting more in time/money/hassles. Can you imagine what a drag it'd be looking at a 50' length XLR cable for a cut, and how dirty would you hands get each time you wound the things up? Not worth it.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:59 PM

To answer one of your original questions, Seismic is a solid company who makes decent products. I have used several of their products. Their mic cables are a pretty good value, especially their multi-packs.

Like everyone else here suggested, If you to need get from your drums to your main snake or to your mixer on the other side of the stage, then grab an 8 channel sub snake and a 6-pack of 10 foot mic cables (maybe a couple of 20 footers if you use overheads) and you should be good to go. I wouldn't do multiple 50-foot runs I could help it.

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/.../sash-8x35.htm

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/...x-10black6.htm
Old 06-27-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradGunnerSGT View Post
To answer one of your original questions, Seismic is a solid company who makes decent products. I have used several of their products. Their mic cables are a pretty good value, especially their multi-packs.

Like everyone else here suggested, If you to need get from your drums to your main snake or to your mixer on the other side of the stage, then grab an 8 channel sub snake and a 6-pack of 10 foot mic cables (maybe a couple of 20 footers if you use overheads) and you should be good to go. I wouldn't do multiple 50-foot runs I could help it.

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/.../sash-8x35.htm

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/...x-10black6.htm
Thanks for the info about that company. I have been looking into them and GLS audio a lot because of the prices.