DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-20-2013, 06:20 AM

Default Steel Snare Head?

I just got a new Mapex BP Blade steel snare, and it's got a stock coated Remo Ambassador on it. It sounds great, and I love the sound, but I'm pretty sure I want to put a different head on it.

I'm not a basher, but I do hit pretty hard, and I want this drum to be loud with a good crack. I play a lot of hard rock/alternative, and I know I'm going to get bored with the CRA soon, so I'm looking for a little advice on a replacement down the road...

I've got an Aquarian Hi-Energy on another snare (maple-walnut), and I love the sound and durability that it gives. I was looking at the Aquarian Hi-Impact too, cuz I'd like to try out something thick (and it comes in black, which I think will look awesome on this snare).

I've also heard really good things about the Remo X...

Choices choices choices... Help?
Old 06-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Steel Snare Head?

I personally think steel is a bit to "ringy" for me, but I think it could be tamed a bit with the Evans Genera dry head. I have had good luck with them.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Gold Member

I love Aquarian Hi-energy and also Hi velocity it is available in black or white, they are my go to smare heads. As far as dampening goes I use a half to a full moongel because I like to vary the amount of ring sometimes and its easier than changing the head. But most of the time I don't use anything with these heads, they sound excellent by themselves.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarrdoss View Post
I love Aquarian Hi-energy and also Hi velocity it is available in black or white, they are my go to smare heads. As far as dampening goes I use a half to a full moongel because I like to vary the amount of ring sometimes and its easier than changing the head. But most of the time I don't use anything with these heads, they sound excellent by themselves.
What (in your experience) is the difference between the Hi-energy and Hi-velocity heads? I have a Hi-energy on another snare, and I love what it does to it.

I personally really like the "ringy" overtones of a steel snare, when paired with the right style of music. I mean, it's not a ton of ring, and when I really get moving through the kit, it actually kinda disappears...
Old 06-20-2013, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

I have two steel snares. One has an Evans EC Reverse Dot, and the other has an Evans Genera Snare Batter (not the Genera Dry Batter). Peace and goodwill

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark
Old 06-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Silver Member

most thick heads (14mil and more) are two ply heads, so they have more body and a lot less ring. if you like the body of a remo emperor, evans g2, evans st, etc but you want more ring you should get a evans g 14 witch is a 14mil but single ply head
Old 06-24-2013, 11:58 PM

I'd definitely recommend an Aquarian Hi-_____ head. Personally, I like the Hi-Velocity for my steel snare, but The Hi-Energy would be my second choice.
The Hi-Velocity allows the snare more enough ring to sound alive and loud, and it has a ton of crack. I like the dot, but there is some sensitivity loss. Still, I'm a hard hitter, and the Hi-Velocity has lasted over 6 months of punishment and still sounds pretty good.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:45 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitgreen View Post
What (in your experience) is the difference between the Hi-energy and Hi-velocity heads? I have a Hi-energy on another snare, and I love what it does to it.

I personally really like the "ringy" overtones of a steel snare, when paired with the right style of music. I mean, it's not a ton of ring, and when I really get moving through the kit, it actually kinda disappears...
TYBG pretty much nailed it. The hi velocity has a ton of body and still enough ring, the hi energy sounds great and its loud and cutting. both are not the most sensitive heads out there but I was shocked about the sensitivity considering what they are. The best way is to just try them for yourself.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarrdoss View Post
TYBG pretty much nailed it. The hi velocity has a ton of body and still enough ring, the hi energy sounds great and its loud and cutting. both are not the most sensitive heads out there but I was shocked about the sensitivity considering what they are. The best way is to just try them for yourself.
Sold... Done and done, I'm heading to the local shop to order a hi-velocity head at lunch...

Thanks for your help guys, it's exactly the confirmation I was looking for!