DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-14-2013, 05:17 AM

Default To rack or not to rack..

Hello fellow drummers! I currently need some input on whether or not to rack. (Or should I say, keep my rack.)

I currently have a Pearl Masters BSX kit with 10,12,14,16 toms. The 10 and 12 are mounted and the 14 and 16 have legs. I also have a curved Gibraltar rack that I bought for my old kit, and I don't know if I should use it or switch to stands. I'd only be mounting my 10 and 12 toms, and I'd put two crashes and a couple splashes, and I'd put my ride and china and on separate boom stands. (I have wings for my rack but I don't think I'd want to use them if I kept the rack..)

I used to have a Tama Starclassic kit that I had mounted my toms on stands (I had three toms to mount), and to be honest, it was the biggest pain in the a$$ ever and I never really got the setup I wanted and I honestly hated it. I then bought the rack and it solved all of my problems. I just don't know.. Just don't know if the two toms and a few crashes/accessory cymbals are worth keeping the rack.

Any input/opinions?

Thanks!

Miranda
Old 06-14-2013, 05:28 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: To rack or not to rack..

Totally up to you. But I've never got the concept of the rack until I had a V-Drum kit and was draping cables on it as well - that was the only time I thought the rack made sense. Maybe it's different for me because I'm always setting up in one area, then moving into the playing area meaning I would never be able to lift the rack myself, so I've never really understood the attraction.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:06 AM

Are you out in the trenches playing gigs? I always think about ease and quickness in terms of settting up for gigs. I've used racks, I've flown toms off stands, and I've used snare stands for toms. At this stage of the game, if I'm using the kit live, I prefer bass drum mounted toms and 2-3 cymbal stands (with multi clamped boom arms if I want more toys). Its just simpler and faster for me to get my setup this way. I don't like the look of racks (I think the stealth racks are cool though), and I find regular old stands more user friendly. Just my opinion.
Yamaha 700 series hardware
Old 06-14-2013, 06:17 AM
Gold Member

I say keep it. Less hardware to drag around, and takes up less floor space. You already have the thing, and if you decide that it isn't necessary just don't use it. But I wouldn't get rid of it, you never know when you might need it again.

Personally I think a rack helps simplify things, no jungle of stand legs everywhere. And it could be one of those things that if you got rid of you might wish you still had somewhere down the road.

But seriously, you should keep it.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:37 AM
Platinum Member

I would rather have stands but then I only use a 4 piece and standard cymbal setup when I play live.

Does the bass drum have Tom mounts on it? 2 toms on your crash stand might be awkward...
Old 06-14-2013, 07:25 AM
Silver Member

I would go with stands, especially if you don't have a huge kit. The drummer in my old band used a rack, and it was the most inconvenient piece of equipment we had. He had 3 crashes and a ride mounted on it. That's it. He continued to mount his toms from his kick drum, which made no sense at that point.

You should have seen the looks we got, especially from sound guys. It was just an embarrassment for the rest of us, but he thought it made him cool, so he refused to switch to stands.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:31 PM

Here's a before and after. The rack really made my footprint smaller!!
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Silver Member

There are pros and cons with rack usage. I have both and tend to use the rack more as most of the venues we play are very limited in terms of set up space- my kit takes substancially less space up on the rack and everything is exactly where I wnat it due to the memory locks. I have 3 rack toms (undrilled BD), 3 crashes, one ride, 1 splash and one china cymbal and a small electric fan for cooling on a 2 sided pearl rack. If I am using less of the kit, as a 1 up 1or 2 down as I do occassionally, then I leave out the effects cymbals and use 3 stands and a boom arm. I don't find any substancial difference in the time for set up and with the rack the hardware is split between 2 bags, where as with the stands it's all in the one big hardware case. In reality, I can cope with either, but on balance, the rack takes it for me. If I had another way of mounting the toms however....
Old 06-19-2013, 06:32 AM

What I did for my "gigging" kit was I took one of my rack arms (i was given a second rack after I bought my first one)and built a fake spider rack out of it and it is really easy to set up and tear down and looks really cool too. (the arm itself is actually attached to the legs) that might work the best for you.

~Ziggy
Old 06-20-2013, 07:49 PM

+1 for the rack. I like the fact that i can carry one piece of equipment that holds 3 toms and four cymbals. Plus, I feel more comfortable that my toms are hanging off my rack vs. a cymbal stand. I dunno, i have seen my fair share of cymbal stands falling over. BTW, I have a Pearl Icon and a Gibraltar. Not sure which one I like better...
Gibraltar