DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 06-06-2013, 01:48 PM

Default How does the dimensions and material of the drum shell affect the sound?

I'm a drummer in training, and my instructor hasn't explained anything about this yet, so can anyone help me out here?

How does the diameter and depth, as well as the type of material used in the drum affect the sounds?
Old 06-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How does the dimensions and material of the drum shell affect the sound?

Hi and welcome to the forum!

This is the perfect moment to get familiar with and use the search function.
You will find tons of info on all those questions.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:02 PM

Default Re: How does the dimensions and material of the drum shell affect the sound?

Good lord, mate! That's like asking how an internal combustion engine works. Or how they built the first airplane.

So much to know, and so much that has been covered already.

The 'search' function is a great way to begin.

I hate to be short with you, but this has been covered exhaustively. And in my opinion very thoroughly. Think of key words and get into it!
Old 06-13-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnygrabber View Post
Good lord, mate! That's like asking how an internal combustion engine works. Or how they built the first airplane.

So much to know, and so much that has been covered already.

The 'search' function is a great way to begin.

I hate to be short with you, but this has been covered exhaustively. And in my opinion very thoroughly. Think of key words and get into it!
Wow,a little high strung are ya?A new drummer asking a question give him a break dude or he will probably leave the forum and not learn anything here
Old 06-13-2013, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usetheforce View Post
Wow,a little high strung are ya?A new drummer asking a question give him a break dude or he will probably leave the forum and not learn anything here
Might sound/read like a little high strung but... isn't it pure fact what sonygrabber stated? IMO his reply was spot on.

Nobody wants to turn off people but if the suggestion to check out the search function for a couple minutes is enough to turn somebody off a forum - so be it. (I'm not assuming this to be the case with the original poster though - I think he did look some stuff up.) Nobody said: "Go away! Too lazy to reply here."

If this was the first time someone posted this question it would absolutely make sense to elaborate on various aspects and submit lengthy posts. Which takes a good amount of tome. IF... but... that stuff is already out there. So why not (as has been suggested) using the search function? Makes way more sense to me.

Imagine the OP takes a few minutes of his time to dig for those topics - he'll find stuff to read for hours. That's what I call effective.
A forum should be considered a library, storing huge leaps of info. And that info can be looked up. Aspects like how materials and shell dimensions affect the sound can be looked up, no need to rewrite all that stuff (and many posts on this forum are so well written - why even try recreating this). We're not adding something new to the discussion, and the OP didn't have specific questions that would justify looking at this from a new/different angle.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:41 PM
Silver Member

Here are some sites I collected that explain some things in a technical manner on the membrane, weight, and diameter. But as others have said prior to this post, is that it is a very complicated topic.

It is easier to mathematically model the sound from a horn, or a string instrument than a drum instrument. The last post is an interesting article.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...cirmem.html#c2

http://physics.usask.ca/~hirose/ep22.../anim-drum.htm

http://www.drumsolo.cc/articles___re...ews_Jun96.html

When it comes to drumming, I am just a beginner for the past thousand years, yet I am drawn to it.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I thought the response was spot on also.Do some research on your own,without the need for instant gratification.

With all the info available in the archives,how can you possibly not learn anything?

Steve B
Old 06-13-2013, 04:00 PM
"Uncle Larry"

To be fair, it's a hard question, with many variables. It may be better to talk about one material only, and discuss how different depths sound on the same diameter, same material, same headed and tuned drum. Imagine a 14" snare drum 5" deep played with the snares off. Now imagine hearing a 14" floor tom 14 inches deep tuned and headed the same. What are the differences? The longer shell would make for a deeper sounding, longer sustaining note. I think. That's all I have right now. ANDY!
Old 06-13-2013, 05:57 PM

OK OK consider me spanked by the forum....
Old 06-13-2013, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

Initiation ritual... ritually initiated... and completed ;-) [*kidding*]
Old 06-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
ANDY!
like I know what I'm talking about?

Quote:
OK OK consider me spanked by the forum....
Hey, I'm calling preferential treatment. I have to pay dearly for group spanking!

Whoops, did I just say that?
Old 06-14-2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
like I know what I'm talking about?

Hey, I'm calling preferential treatment. I have to pay dearly for group spanking!

Whoops, did I just say that?
I will take the punishment, but everyone has to come to Vancouver Canada
Old 06-14-2013, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

Thank you sir, may I have another?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdFLPn30dvQ
Old 06-14-2013, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Thank you sir, may I have another?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdFLPn30dvQ
Haha that's too funny
Old 06-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Gold Member

In all seriousness, it seems like a simple question, but it isn't. books can be written on the subject, and it would take an hour of typiny yo scratch the surface. That is why it is just easier to point you to the search engine, because it has been covered a lot already. there are more variables than a Rubics Cube.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:53 PM

Hey, help out the young punk!

If I had to sum it up quickly, I would say ....

1) The material is related to the amount of money you spend on a kit. However, if the kit is of decent quality (and doesn't have to be insanely expensive), then good drum heads and tuning will make them sound good enough.

2) Dimensions matter greatly. Rock drummers usually play with bigger and deeper drums, and jazzers the opposite. Now the depth of the drum, I think, it just as important as the size. A shallower drum will have a "bouncy" sound, and a deeper drum will have a "boomier" sound. This is why a lot of bass drums are deep these days - more boom!

3) The size of the drum relates to the pitch and volume of the drum. A metal drummer would be stupid to play with a 18" bass drum, for instance. But a jazzer might play with a 22" or 24" with a shallower depth. See? It is not too complex once you know.

4) Metal snare drums sound sharper than wood snares, which sound warmer.

I know people will waffle on about other details, but this is for drum designers only. Good manufacturers will make good sounding drums! Then your ears would be the final test.

Last edited by wizard sticks; 06-16-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG65 View Post
How does the diameter and depth, as well as the type of material used in the drum affect the sounds?
Larger diameter drums will enable a lower pitch, but will be a bit mushier from a stick rebound point of view. The depth will affect the tone and sustain, with shallower shells having a shorter "note". The material will affect many factors of the sound, due to the hardness of the wood, thickness of shell, number of plies, plies vs solid vs stave, type of bearing edge, etc., etc.

To be honest, you could have two drums with exact specifications made by two different manufacturers and they would probably sound quite different, even due to the different tension bolt lugs and hoops. Specs are good to have a general idea, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:24 AM

This might be of some help, too http://www.alantocknell-drums.com/Shell-Science.html
Old 06-17-2013, 01:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three View Post
Alan makes great drums at very reasonable prices :)
Old 06-17-2013, 06:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Wow, get him some tea and a bowler hat and we can have a full on English steriotype in here... Where's Henry, he would have made a great cartoon out of this one...

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 06-17-2013, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Wow, get him some tea and a bowler hat and we can have a full on English steriotype in here... Where's Henry, he would have made a great cartoon out of this one...
I'll get the tea but I've only got a Stetson. No matter. Stereotypes are go!
Old 06-17-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Alan makes great drums at very reasonable prices :)
I live just around the corner from his workshop and am in the market for a new kit. Maybe I should go check them out....?
Old 06-17-2013, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I live just around the corner from his workshop and am in the market for a new kit. Maybe I should go check them out....?
Yes, I think you should. Tell him that Andy from Guru sent you :)

Alan knows his stuff. Of all the ply builders in Europe, he's right up there with the best guys. of course, if you really want the ultimate in performance, we're based in the UK too, but at a whole different price level.

If you're seriously searching for a kit, & still haven't resolved the high end/intermediate/budget rationale in your mind, then I strongly suggest visiting the London drum show early October. There, you'll be able to try just about anything first hand, & form your own conclusion. Apart from anything else, it's a cracking "drummy" day out. We believe so much in what we do, that we have a private demonstration room at LDS so that customers can try stuff out in peace & quiet, & compare drums (even their own) if they want to.

The message is, if you're not in a desperate rush to buy something, I'd advise really taking your time. There's a lot of great stuff out there that's largely off the radar. If nothing else, trying as many drums as possible is a great way of confirming your eventual decision.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Yes, I think you should. Tell him that Andy from Guru sent you :)

Alan knows his stuff. Of all the ply builders in Europe, he's right up there with the best guys. of course, if you really want the ultimate in performance, we're based in the UK too, but at a whole different price level.

If you're seriously searching for a kit, & still haven't resolved the high end/intermediate/budget rationale in your mind, then I strongly suggest visiting the London drum show early October. There, you'll be able to try just about anything first hand, & form your own conclusion. Apart from anything else, it's a cracking "drummy" day out. We believe so much in what we do, that we have a private demonstration room at LDS so that customers can try stuff out in peace & quiet, & compare drums (even their own) if they want to.

The message is, if you're not in a desperate rush to buy something, I'd advise really taking your time. There's a lot of great stuff out there that's largely off the radar. If nothing else, trying as many drums as possible is a great way of confirming your eventual decision.
Guru drums? I saw a guy playing on a set of them once. I have to admit, they sounded damn good. What sort of price range are we talking here?
Old 06-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Guru drums? I saw a guy playing on a set of them once. I have to admit, they sounded damn good. What sort of price range are we talking here?
Best that I take this by PM so as not to derail the thread :)
Old 07-24-2013, 01:36 PM

Whoa. Looks like the thread has gone off topic, I see...

Anyways, thanks for your help. It really meant a lot for a newbie like me. :))
Old 07-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member

Well, where have you been for the last 7 weeks??
You started the thread, a lot of people replied and it's nice if the original poster leaves some feedback on the replies, too - not after 7 weeks. Just saying.
We do have threads on a regular basis where the thread starter wouldn't participate in the discussion except for his initial post. Strange but happens.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Well, where have you been for the last 7 weeks??
You started the thread, a lot of people replied and it's nice if the original poster leaves some feedback on the replies, too - not after 7 weeks. Just saying.
We do have threads on a regular basis where the thread starter wouldn't participate in the discussion except for his initial post. Strange but happens.
I didn't know there was any replies to the post... until I decided to check my emails 2 hours ago.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG65 View Post
I didn't know there was any replies to the post... until I decided to check my emails 2 hours ago.
As I said, no biggie.

Let me recap this... You're creating a thread on Drummerworld (the biggest drum forum on this planet - at least to my knowledge -, with 80.000+ members), check back some 7 weeks later and are suprised that there's a ton of replies? Oh, I see. Well - that's Drummerworld! Everything can happen here, even getting some replies within 7 weeks ;-)