DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Tune Bot Observation

I have both the drumdial and the Tune-Bot, as I'm a sucker for anything new, particularly electronic.
I've come up with an interesting observation though.
In the past, while using the Drumdial, it was common practice for me to have the reso head on a tom, higher than the batter. A common setting for me was 78-80 on the reso, and approx a 75 reading on the batter.
Now, while experimenting with the Tune Bot's recommended, or calculated settings from their website, I have tuned a sample rack tom (13") using these settings. The Hz setting for the reso is predictably higher than the batter setting ( 196Hz reso / 182Hz batter), BUT when I check the drum using the Drumdial after, I show an 80 batter reading, but a 75 reso reading. I've never tuned my tom reso heads anything less than 78-82.
SO, does this now mean that I've been tuning my reso heads WAY too tight?
Now, we also know that a single ply reso will definately tune higher, faster with a higher reading than say a 2-ply coated Emperor on the batter.
I'm getting really confused over the settings on both these "tuning aids".
Any thoughts folk?
Cheers, Phil
Old 07-10-2013, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Tune Bot Observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooltonboy View Post
BUT when I check the drum using the Drumdial after, I show an 80 batter reading, but a 75 reso reading. I've never tuned my tom reso heads anything less than 78-82.
SO, does this now mean that I've been tuning my reso heads WAY too tight?
I don't own either, but given what I've heard about the DrumDial, that's not too tight at all. You could probably go much tighter than that.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:03 AM
Platinum Member

I don't own them either and I'm afraid I'm no help to you at all, but I'm intrigued to know which tuning you thinks sounds better. Your old tuning using the DD numbers or the new with the Tune-Bot?
Old 08-02-2013, 03:59 AM

The drum dial is good for quick tuning and makes sure you have equal tension. Tube bot on the other hand actually lets you tune to a note. Owning both, I like the tune bot because of how accurate you can get with it
Old 08-06-2013, 02:12 PM

I have owned both and now just own the Tune-bot. With the DD you have to put each individual drum on a solid surface, preferably glass, and tune. Also the DD is highly sensitive and if you drop it you can break it very easily and then it's trash. For $40 more you can get the Tune-bot and it has a much better sensitivity to it. No need to move around to the individual lugs...just set it in between two lugs and tune all the way around. You can also save individual settings for each drum and recall them whenever you want. I know a lot of guys say tuning by ear is best which I'm sure is true but this will get you right in the ball park and you can adjust by ear after. I just put a Evans Genera Dry on my Black Panther Phat Bob yesterday and used the Tune-bot and WOW...it sounds INCREDIBLE!!!

Go with the Tune-bot no questions asked.

Steve