DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 03-27-2015, 02:20 AM

Default How fortunate we are.

Hey guys,

My girlfriend and I just got back from volunteering at the church I sometimes attend to help disburse food for needy families and Easter baskets for their kids that a lot of us donated money for. I know we love our drums and talk about what we buy and play here on DRUMMERWORLD, but wow, some of those families would've been happy to have the money one mid-range cymbal costs. Now don't get me wrong, I feel if you work for it, you deserve to be able to get those awesome hi hats, or that new snare drum. But you could see the look of despair on their faces, and it made me think once again how truly fortunate we are. I was happy when my cymbals came in a few days ago, . . . .they were happy just to get two bags of groceries.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:46 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How fortunate we are.

I hear you. My wife used to manage a shelter and I used to volunteer out of a sense of altruism. The things we saw just burnt us up. It pains me to even think about it.

A decade ago, we burned out and moved on to start a family. She's a librarian now and we simply budget $ for charity come tax time to bump ourselves down a bracket. It's strange, as our income sits on the bizarro-world boarder where donating $5000 to a food pantry can knock our tax bill down by $5000.

Kudos for working the front line. Try not to get burnt.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:33 AM
Gold Member

I've been told that if you make 12K a yr. you are in top 2% richest people in the world. There are millions of people that have nearly nothing. In the states 12K is hardly anything. I often think how blessed I am to have born into the family I'm from, here in the U.S. I could have been one of millions that were born in a 3rd world country, with no house, running water, not enough food, and list goes on. I've led a very sheltered life. We can make sound like we've had it rough, but in reality it's been a walk in the park. Sometimes before I go to sleep, I think about how many million people would love to have the bed I'm laying in, the house I have, my car, and of coarse my drums. Ya I've worked all of my life, and rather hard too, but I was basically born into this life of luxury.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:39 AM

yes we are >

i take my christmas bounus ( i guess you can call it) its free $
a gift card from company i work for, we do 1/2 off toys on thanksgiving day only
i use my card and get 2x the toys and donate them, my kids are all grow makes me feel so good
i feel like santa :) a small way of giving back and saying thank you God for all i have been given
Old 03-27-2015, 11:42 AM

Thanks guys for sharing your point of view and your own experiences with this type of thing. Well KamaK , Ill try not to let it get to me, but I will be volunteering for more of these functions in the future. And guys, please, don't take this thread as a "look at me, look how wonderful I am" kind of thing, because it isn't. It just made me think (like it has in the past many times), look what these people are looking forward to, . . just SURVIVING. A bag of apples, cans of soup, potatoes. etc., etc. It was a reality check, that's for sure.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:55 AM
Silver Member

Yes, it sure is a reality check. I also do volunteer work at my church. We have a center where we help the needy, many of whom are homeless. We provide some food, clothes, bus passes and hygiene staples, and sometimes some shelter.

I think I know what you mean. As one who's spent his entire adult life living paycheck to paycheck and stretching to make ends meet, I just can't go home and gripe or complain after seeing folks who can't buy their own food all the time or sleep under a roof.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:20 AM

You're right Derek, how can we go home and complain after work, (which we all sometimes do, myself included), when there are many who would give their right arm to have a job and money left over to order a pizza.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:35 AM
Administrator

I work at a hospital where i see cars worth what myhouse is worth and yet there are those wondering about their nextcheck. The world is a funny place