DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:28 PM

Default Need advice for new drum setup

I have searched the forums as well as other places on the web to try to find an answer to this, so forgive me if my question has already been answered.

I haven't had a drum set since I was a teenager, at which time I had to give it up because of neighbor complaints about the noise level. Since then I have lived in a series of apartments, so I haven't thought much of getting another kit. In a few months, however, I will be moving into a small ranch that my grandmother (who is now in a home) owns to take care of it until my parents decide what to do with it. The first thought that went through my head after agreeing to do this was that I would finally be able to get another drum set.

My main concern, given my previous experience, is keeping the noise at an appropriate level for my grandmother's neighbors. I have been looking at ways to dampen the sound, but then I started to wonder if that would even be necessary since it is a brick home. Do any of you live in brick homes, and if so, does the brick itself dampen the sound to a reasonable level for some later-night sessions? Or should I still be looking at ways to kill some of the sound (keeping in mind that I can't do anything too permanent to a house that isn't mine)?
Old 05-15-2013, 07:42 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Need advice for new drum setup

Are you considering an electronic kit at all?
Old 05-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Brick is probably going to be only slightly better -- and by slightly, I mean about 3-5 dB of difference perceived from outside the house -- than wood and sheetrock. It will also be a sound-reflective surface, which means subjectively it will be louder inside.

The consensus here on DW is that an isolated room-within-a-room build is the best way to reduce sound. The costs can run well into the dozens of thousands. Do a search on the forum for "soundproofing".

You didn't mention how close the neighbors are, what they do, how old they are, what other noises may exist in the neighborhood. Those are all important.

I personally am playing in a subdivision with the nearest home 35 feet away, in an untreated, sheetrock-walled garage. I play perhaps an hour or two every few days, and always at appropriate hours. I have talked to all my neighbors and been very upfront about my playing, but also provided them with a cellphone number to call if ever they have issues with the noise. And I would not set your heart on late-night drumming sessions. I can think of no quicker way to earn the scorn and enmity of your new neighbors.

Best of luck.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:12 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I would just set them up an play them and if there is a problem, let them start it. If you are in the basement, there should be no problem. Drape sheets rugs blankets if the basement is all concrete to suck up the reflections. This sounds like it might not be permanent anyway, why not just go for it?
Old 05-15-2013, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the advice, guys. Larry, I think I'm going to go with your advice. If it becomes an issue I'll deal with it then.

I had thought about an electric set. I remember liking Roland V-drums when I looked at them years ago, but they have always been cost prohibitive, and I really would prefer a good acoustic set. We'll see how addicted I get while I'm in the house- if I end up moving back to an apartment and can't live without them I may consider the Rolands.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:20 PM

I'm not offering a complete solution....or a solution at all now that I think about it. I will say that being in a situation that (semi-)forces you into playing at a lower dynamic, at least some of the time, will often help to mold your overall dynamics. That has been the case with me lately, anyway.

So, I guess I would advise to take advantage of the situation as much as possible, and play at low volumes if you wanna play "after-hours"...
Old 05-15-2013, 09:24 PM

i play in my basement.

when i had the kit for about 6 months i was outside mowing the lawn when i saw my next door neighbor. i asked him if my drum playing bothered him at all. he looked at me like i had 3 heads and said "i've never heard anything." LOL
so yeah just play and see what happens. chances are if you take the minimum effort to dampen the sound you'll be good to go especially if you're in a basement.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:20 PM
Silver Member

I have 1.3 acres and an older home (70's). I hit very hard and loud and never had a complaint.