DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:02 AM
Platinum Member

Default Disposable Gear

I was at the studio yesterday evening, it had been awhile and it sure was nice to be back.

The studio kit included a snare I'd not seen there before; it had a unique sound the way it was tuned, very classic rock if you will, lots of body. It looked like just any other chrome snare drum; I looked closer and it was a 5 1/2 x14 Pearl Steel Shell, nice-looking drum, looked like new. I asked him when he'd got it, and he replied, "Oh, I don't know, guys are always leaving things behind after they're through recording."

i just can't get over it, leaving "things" behind. What must it be like to have that sort of dough? You've done the session, you don't need the drum anymore, maybe the studio can use it. Man!

When I pack up I do a couple of "idiot checks" to make damn sure I've got everything I brought with me. I just don't understand it. It may not be a top-of-the-line snare drum, but if it was mine I wouldn't just leave it behind. It's a damn nice-sounding Pearl metal shell snare drum.

Some things I'll never understand.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Disposable Gear

I get upset if I leave my almost-used-up roll of duct tape behind. geez .....
Old 05-10-2013, 03:02 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I did a session not long ago where I needed a few more cymbal stands than I had brought (I simply forgot to pack the extras.) They're one of the top studios and have been in business for decades, so I asked if they had a couple of stands around. They didn't, so I went to the local store, bought 2 decent stands for the session, and left them as a gift for future drummers who might need them in an emergency.

But, I guess that's different than forgetting something at the studio, and not coming back for it. I've never done that!

Bermuda
Old 05-10-2013, 03:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I did a session not long ago where I needed a few more cymbal stands than I had brought (I simply forgot to pack the extras.) They're one of the top studios and have been in business for decades, so I asked if they had a couple of stands around. They didn't, so I went to the local store, bought 2 decent stands for the session, and left them as a gift for future drummers who might need them in an emergency.

But, I guess that's different than forgetting something at the studio, and not coming back for it. I've never done that!

Bermuda
Precisely, see, I'm sure I'm talking about situations more along the lines of what you've just described. What can I say? Salute!
Old 05-10-2013, 04:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
I was at the studio yesterday evening, it had been awhile and it sure was nice to be back.

The studio kit included a snare I'd not seen there before; it had a unique sound the way it was tuned, very classic rock if you will, lots of body. It looked like just any other chrome snare drum; I looked closer and it was a 5 1/2 x14 Pearl Steel Shell, nice-looking drum, looked like new. I asked him when he'd got it, and he replied, "Oh, I don't know, guys are always leaving things behind after they're through recording."

i just can't get over it, leaving "things" behind. What must it be like to have that sort of dough? You've done the session, you don't need the drum anymore, maybe the studio can use it. Man!

When I pack up I do a couple of "idiot checks" to make damn sure I've got everything I brought with me. I just don't understand it. It may not be a top-of-the-line snare drum, but if it was mine I wouldn't just leave it behind. It's a damn nice-sounding Pearl metal shell snare drum.

Some things I'll never understand.
I agree that is is an odd thing to do. I have a Pearl Export steel snare, which I like very much. I also do idiot checks so that I will not be one. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark
Old 05-10-2013, 04:37 AM
Platinum Member

Sorry, i don't have those kinds of resources...... that being said, I did hook up a friend with a bunch of things when he first opened his studio. Spare heads, hardware, throne,etc....
Old 05-10-2013, 05:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Sorry, i don't have those kinds of resources...... that being said, I did hook up a friend with a bunch of things when he first opened his studio. Spare heads, hardware, throne,etc....
The simple life is an abundant one.

That's what I keep telling myself.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:21 AM

And even if I did have the cash to regard drums as disposable I still wouldn't leave them at the studio. Rather give it to someone who needs one or can't afford it.

Leaving something in a studio is akin to wastefulness and not appreciatying the difference between chucking a $10 note onto the street or giving it to the Salvation guy on the corner.

Dutch
Old 05-10-2013, 05:38 AM
Platinum Member

I sweep up my sawdust when I leave. :)
Old 05-10-2013, 06:40 AM
audiotech

Sorry but, what's taken into any studio by me, gets taken back out by me. I'm not just talking drum equipment here.The studios where I work can afford to purchase what they need and having a drummer there to oversee that area of production, there are always spares of just about everything. Most drummers will bring their own equipment to a session, but quite a few will still use our studio kits for multiple reasons.

Dennis
Old 05-10-2013, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
Sorry but, what's taken into any studio by me, gets taken back out by me. I'm not just talking drum equipment here.The studios where I work can afford to purchase what they need and having a drummer there to oversee that area of production, there are always spares of just about everything. Most drummers will bring their own equipment to a session, but quite a few will still use our studio kits for multiple reasons.

Dennis
I always used the studio's drums, and I still do when I get the work. For jingles and soundtracks and that sort of work you have no choice.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:23 AM
Renegade

Of course I leave my gear behind at gigs to save on lugging out. What civilised person would not? It actually works out cheaper than having one of my servants pop over in the helicopter to pick them up. Too many venues don't have private heliports and it really is an unbearable imposition!

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 05-10-2013, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Of course I leave my gear behind at gigs to save on lugging out. What civilised person would not? It actually works out cheaper than having one of my servants pop over in the helicopter to pick them up. Too many venues don't have private heliports and it really is an unbearable imposition!
When you do your N California tour, there's no problem leaving the Guru's here...
Old 05-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Don't even get me STARTED on the venues with no limousine garage! I can't tell you how many times I've had to have my fleet of limos airlifted onto the roof for the show.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
And even if I did have the cash to regard drums as disposable I still wouldn't leave them at the studio. Rather give it to someone who needs one or can't afford it.

Leaving something in a studio is akin to wastefulness and not appreciatying the difference between chucking a $10 note onto the street or giving it to the Salvation guy on the corner.

Dutch
In my case, they were a couple of $39 stands. Hopefully they will help other drummers in the future who find themselves in the same situation I did that day. I think they're potentially a better gift for many, than to select one recipient who'd probably resent being given a pair of "cheap" stands.

I still think I did a good thing. There are skunks out there who would have bought and used the stands, then tried to return them for their money back.

Bermuda
Old 05-10-2013, 05:51 PM

One of my best friends is a guitarist, and his house has been a local "jam-spot" for...well, for a long time; I guess about 15 years or so. His house is like a magnet for people who don't care enough about their gear to make sure they take all of it with them.

He's absorbed a small suitcase PA, two decent combo amps (1 guitar, 1 bass), a bass guitar, an entire (albeit duct taped together) drum set, and various other musical doodads. I, personally, can't afford and don't desire to just leave stuff behind, but there are those who are not so serious about the craft and/or about their investment...'cause I've seen it, lol.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

I usually leave my entire kit behind when I wear my cape,run off the stage and crash into a girl and get punched out by her boyfriend.

Then I have mommy go back and pick up my stuff cause I can..:):)

Steve B
Old 05-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

My best friend bought his son some used drums from a Craigslist ad, so I went with him to look over the equipment. I noticed that the set was missing a couple pieces of hardware, so bought them for the kid (his parents don't have a lot of money).

But that's a lot different than leaving a snare behind. I'm still mad that I left the base of my conga stand somewhere, probably at a gig.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
I usually leave my entire kit behind when I wear my cape,run off the stage and crash into a girl and get punched out by her boyfriend.

Steve B
Hooray! This post makes me extraordinarily happy!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtliquid View Post
I get upset if I leave my almost-used-up roll of duct tape behind. geez .....
Yup. Me too.

I'm still beating myself up for the one time I left my drum rug behind, and that was over 10 years ago. But mostly I kick myself because I once lent to to be used at a Louie Bellson clinic, and I loved saying Louie Bellson once used my drum rug.

I have never left any actual musical gear.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:05 PM

I don't leave anything... last week I got bothered when I realized I left a pair decently used Promark 5A oaks at a gig!
Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals
Old 05-12-2013, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
In my case, they were a couple of $39 stands. Hopefully they will help other drummers in the future who find themselves in the same situation I did that day. I think they're potentially a better gift for many, than to select one recipient who'd probably resent being given a pair of "cheap" stands.

I still think I did a good thing. There are skunks out there who would have bought and used the stands, then tried to return them for their money back.

Bermuda
My boom stands are forty dollar specials. They function nice (minus a cranky rachet tilter now and then!) and they can be replaced cheaply. And they're lightweight!

You did good, Bermuda. You never know who will use them. I'd have done the same.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:25 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post

As chance would have it, the boyfriend was running a limousine garage and coming in to tell the band the good news.

Several times I've lost sticks down a crevice at the back of (or in) a stage. Lost both an o-ring and a stick that way at a gig in September 2009 (obviously not a big deal to me - ahem).

I was wondering about the amount of stuff that would have been under the stage, which I doubt had been cleaned for 30 years. Could even be a few stashes still down there lol

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 05-12-2013, 02:36 AM
Anthony Amodeo
This message has been deleted by Anthony Amodeo.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member

I actually had one of my friends leave a bass amp at my house. He never asked for it back. Now it is my bass amp. It's very useful to have a bass amp.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Platinum Member

Sorry, I actually did a community theater gig that paid really good money for the amount of work I did. I went to the Guitar Center the week before and found this beat-up old (possibly water-damaged) Japanese 4-piece from the 60s. I got it for $129 and it sounded decent. When the gig was over two weeks later, with paycheck in hand, I took my cymbals and left the kit.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abapicaltaenia View Post
I actually had one of my friends leave a bass amp at my house. He never asked for it back. Now it is my bass amp. It's very useful to have a bass amp.
I've been given quite a bit of guitar gear over the years. It's odd. I have a Morley wah pedal just given to me by a friend who had replaced his setup with a GT-8. Then I was given an acoustic amp. Since then I've also been given an old 50s Harmony Archtop and a seven-piece Pearl Export!

Maybe my face just has 'give me your gear' written all over it. I use most of the donated gear quite a lot of the time!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Really? Another Mapex Saturn thread?