DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 05-14-2013, 02:43 PM

Default 1968 Ludwig Supraphonic a good investment?

It seems I keep on buying snares lately but I can buy a 1968 Keystone Supraphonic for a price that is considered good around here. It is in pretty good condition, just some little pitting.

As I don't really need it, I was thinking if it would be a good buy as an investment. And I don't own one yet so I wouldn't mind playing it ;-).

Any thoughts?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: 1968 Ludwig Supraphonic a good investment?

A consummate workhorse. One of the best "go to" snares there is. There's very few musical applications where a Supra wouldn't work. Just very versatile.......sounds great with a variety of heads, at a variety of tunings and is the kind of snare that stays in your arsenal forever as a result.

If the price is right and you want it, why not. I have no doubt you'll find a use for it.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:29 PM
The Old Hyde

as far as a good investment, unless you aquire 400 of them at one time for an amazing price and are able to sell the complete lot of 400 for a profit of above 15-30 percent a year, then no, there are better investments out there, see your local broker. yes they increase in price but selling one is not going to allow you to retire.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:36 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Very rarely do drums increase in value. Drums are purchases not investments. But great drum for sure, if you like aluminum drums and know what they sound like.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

The ones that sell for the most bucks are B/O LM402s in as close to original condition as possible, because they're the "Bonham" snare. Most others keep pace with new Supras' prices, at best, and at worst go on eBay for $150 or less due to pitting.

Investment? Probably not, unless it's a collector's edition in immaculate condition. Excellent drum you will never regret having? Hell yes.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:19 PM
Silver Member

I'm waiting to find a good deal on a 14x6.5 model supra. Those ones seem to be worth a little bit more. But I'm not going to buy one to sell it. Well, unless I received a rediculously high offer...
DW, Gilbrator
Old 05-14-2013, 04:27 PM

Just about any Supraphonic is a great investment IMHO. I've had mine for 25 years and love it as much as the day I got it.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:39 PM

I know about the supra's and their reputation so I don't think it would regret it.

With a good investment I don't expect to make a lot of money on it but if it should keep its value in case I decide to sell it later.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Supra do actually go up in price depending on vintage and size.About 15 years ago,you could pick up a used LM 402 on Ebay for around 150 to 175 for a real nice one.That changed when drummers found out the Bonham used one and the prices skyrocked to where they are now.

For a low 70's badged drum the average price in good condition is 375-425 .

Before you but,check originality as in replaced hardware,Original hardware,correct serial number and corrosponding date,shell roundness and any extra holes.

They are the quintesential snare drum.

Steve B
Old 05-15-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Supra do actually go up in price depending on vintage and size.About 15 years ago,you could pick up a used LM 402 on Ebay for around 150 to 175 for a real nice one.That changed when drummers found out the Bonham used one and the prices skyrocked to where they are now.

For a low 70's badged drum the average price in good condition is 375-425 .

Before you but,check originality as in replaced hardware,Original hardware,correct serial number and corrosponding date,shell roundness and any extra holes.

They are the quintesential snare drum.

Steve B
I would think, as time passes by, more vintage snares can disappear so the remaining would become a bit more valuable.

I think you have a good point about checking if it has the original parts. Not sure what to examine exactly, I'm no "connaisseur".
Old 05-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

Def not. It will only lead to the purchase of more Supras... the 5" 400 and 6.5" 402 are both incredible sounding drums. Plus most have some chrome peeling issues if I am not confused. (my '76 400 does)
Old 05-15-2013, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Supra "acne" is very common and there are much more supras with it than without.Ludalloy(aluminum/zinz alloy) isn't the best substrate for chrome plating.Brass is much better and brass shelled drums won't have the typical pitting that the LM 400-402 have.

Eric---post some pics before you buy the drum so we can determine if it's all original.

Steve B
Old 05-16-2013, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_B View Post
.... I was thinking if it would be a good buy as an investment.

Any thoughts?
An investment? No. A good sounding snare. Yes. "a price that is considered good around here" doesn't really define the situation .... but on eBay, these drums are easy to score. And you're probably not going to see much return on your investment, unless you hold onto this drum for a few decades. And even then, it's value probably won't keep up with inflation.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
"a price that is considered good around here" doesn't really define the situation .... but on eBay, these drums are easy to score.
About the price: USD 100 equals around EUR 77. However, when buying items around here, the conversion rate seems 1:1 or even worse.
Take a new Shure SM-57, lowest price here: EUR 109 or USD 141. At Musician's Friend: USD 99, maybe elsewhere even cheaper.

Also, in the USA these drums (or Acrolites) are much more common than over here, so prices are generally lower. Importing is possible but, after adding shipping, customs and VAT, the deal is not so sweet anymore.

So a good price over here doesn't easily translate into what you consider a good price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
And you're probably not going to see much return on your investment, unless you hold onto this drum for a few decades. And even then, it's value probably won't keep up with inflation.
True. Although the interest banks are paying on saving accounts are also lower than inflation, at least around here, so money in the bank is also not keeping up...
Old 05-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_B View Post
True. Although the interest banks are paying on saving accounts are also lower than inflation, at least around here, so money in the bank is also not keeping up...
Indeed. Savings ..... even money market accounts .... not very good investments. You wanna look into trying to double your money, every 5 to 7 years. 10 at the tops. Mutual Funds, REITs, and Annuities ...... much better return.