DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-07-2013, 05:39 PM

Default Bent HH stem and clutch won't stay tight

I've been using the same HH stand for 13 or so years now and have altered my playing styles many times since them. I used to play the hats way on the top, middle and now ive been playing them a lot lower...

My stem (about 6 inches from the top) is a little bent and is a HUGE pain to take the top hat off and on. Does anyone suggest taking a wrench to bend it back in place and some steel wool or sand paper to smooth out all the notches?

Also, My clutch wont stay tight and when the hat drops now I have to take it off and tighten it after every song.. Should I put some of that plumbers tape stuff on the grooves for it to stay on better?

Its a nice stand still and I dont want to spend any money. Its just starting to bother me.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Bent HH stem and clutch won't stay tight

You could try straightening the stem - you probably couldn't mess things up worse than they already are... If you'll NEVER use that much stem on the top (for a hat trick or some such), you might just cut it off!?!

The nut on my clutch works loose too. I use Teflon plumber's tape and it works just fine. One application will last through 3 - 4 tear-down/set-ups before it works loose again.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member

Every hi hat I've had I've cut down to have the stem only an inch or two most above top of hihat cymbal.....Just enough to mount a little tambourine thingy. Takes 5 mins with a hacksaw. I've also sold these cut down stands to others used, so it does not affect resale value either.

You can unbend a rod by removing it from hihat assembly and straightening in a vice, but with CARE.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:54 PM
Silver Member

Trying to straighten it couldn't hurt much. I say why not. As for your clutch, instead of using any sort of tape, I would just buy a locking clutch. I know gibraltar sells a nice one for around $11, and it 'hugs' the stand, rather than screws into it, so there's no slippage. That is, unless you're using a 6mm stand, in which, then I would recommend the tape.