DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-24-2013, 02:19 AM

Default Drum transport?

One of the issues holding me back from joining a band is the transporting of my drums. I don't have a car, so I would have to rely on public transport. I need some . . . efficient methods. Other people have separate bags for each drum, a hardware bag, and a cart, but in my situation it's just not a viable option.

I have a small kit: hi-hat and stand, piccolo snare and stand, cymbal stand, jam block (which is on the cymbal stand), cowbell, bass pedal, and 16" floor tom (which I use as a bass drum).

Is there any way to transport all these items in one bag? I tried a hockey bag, but the floor tom won't fit. I was thinking of using a large suitcase, and lashing the hi-hat stand onto the outside using some sort of chord - if they make suitcases 16" deep. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Help would be much appreciated (suggesting a suitcase drum set is NOT helpful, however. I would like to keep my drums set-up as I already have them).
Old 05-24-2013, 04:37 AM

Default Re: Drum transport?

Hmmmm... If you can't fit the drum into a hockey bag, there's not much hope for finding luggage big enough. My initial thought was a steamer trunk, but then I realized you're looking for something you could bring on public transportation.

How about taking a clean 50 gallon plastic drum, cutting it in half lengthwise, bolting on a couple of hinges and clasps, throw a couple of castors (shopping cart wheels) on the bottom, and maybe a tow handle on the top?

The bottom line is that you might have too much stuff to transport via bus/train...
Old 05-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum transport?

It will be a challenge for sure. Most drummers that I know who live in a city call a taxi to transport.
You can order or build a custom trap case that will suit your needs. There are You Tube videos that show how to build your own custom case. There is a company that makes all of the components that are needed.