DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 05-06-2013, 02:39 PM

Default Double bass pedals - which contexts?

Weird title I know, but do any of you use double pedals just for fills and the like? Watching Neil peart and Gavin Harrison, they next to never use it for straight double bass stuff, same with Jason Bonham..... So does anyone else use it just for stuff like that?
Old 05-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Double bass pedals - which contexts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
Weird title I know, but do any of you use double pedals just for fills and the like? Watching Neil peart and Gavin Harrison, they next to never use it for straight double bass stuff, same with Jason Bonham..... So does anyone else use it just for stuff like that?
Yep. While in my own free time I love playing along to stuff that has pretty energetic use of double bass, in my current playing situation I don't gig with any bands that require it, and sometimes I'll just leave the slave pedal off if I don't have any expectation of playing any double kick fills. I do like to throw in a triplet with my feet on fills here and there, but it's not dubba dubba dubba all night.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:08 PM

Same as the guy above, I find double bass to be great fun but none of my bands really need double bass, i just kinda use my double pedal to give me more improvisational freedom in fills.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:27 PM

Great to know I am not the only one. I have proven to myself I can do the fast straight double bass but see no use for it. I do not play in a death metal band, and the metal stuff I have done I prefer using single bass. I mainly do jazz and a nice triplet then a pair of splashes makes for a nice break point.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:15 PM

my metal band is alot of straight 16th's or 32's but when i play jazz or punk i still like to have the double pedal for my fills... i can just have an extra option with it... also nice for cymbal swells to have a lot of kick behind it somethimes
Old 05-09-2013, 05:19 AM
Gold Member

Currently using in fills mainly. Though I use it on occassion for straight 16ths for 4-6 measures. I compare it to using both hands in a fill. Still working on the speed...