DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-07-2013, 09:29 AM

Default Which brand should I choose?

I may have an opportunity to get a sponsorship deal quite soon. While this sponsorship is not through a well known band I guess that my options are quite limited. Therefore I wonder if anyone could give any advice regarding good but maybe not well known brands? It could be drums, cymbals, hardware etc. I know about the usual like Sonor, Pearl, Zildjian and so on, so I'm looking for advice beyond their realm!

Any advice appreciated :)
Old 05-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Which brand should I choose?

I'm not sure you've got a handle on how endorsement deals work mate. But I'll start by asking you what brands offer the sounds you'd actually like to use and represent? That'd be where I'd start. Surely if you're gonna endorse something it's because you actually like the product to begin with, yeah?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:25 AM

You're right, I'm don't know how these things work exactly but my question was more to get to know brands that I don't know so much about. For example, I like the way Sonor Drums sounds like and I know a bit about them but it would be fun to know a little more about other brands like ddrums, or drumcraft, brands that I don't know anything about, or to hear about brands I don't know exists. I know, I could check them up myself but I live in Sweden, I don't have any opportunity to try out any of these drums for real, so I'm looking for advice from people who's actually tried them out.

But to answer your question: I play on both Zildjian and Sabian cymbals and I like them very much and I've played both Gretsch, Tama, Pearl and Sonor and what I've tried I prefer Sonor, of course depending on the musical situation but if you speak about an all-round sound I would with my small amount of experience prefer Sonor.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member

Have a read of this mate: http://www.bermudaschwartz.com/endorsement/index.html It's an excellent overview of the endorsement process.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:47 PM

Thanks! Much appreciated.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

Do a "Search" on this forum for "endorsement" and read a few of the threads. This is a pretty common question, and it's also common that it's not so well understood.

An endorsement basically means that you (the drummer) are well-known enough that you will put your name behind a certain brand of something (drum, cymbal, pedal, stand, stick, etc.) This helps them get more people to buy their stuff; in return, you may get a discount off of what other people might pay (common for big items like drums, cymbals and pedals) or a certain amount of free stuff (more common with heads or sticks which cost less).

A very, very small percentage of drummers get all their stuff free, and even then, they may not "get" it -- it's simply that the company provides the gear, but it still technically belongs to them, not the drummer.

Some companies have latched on to the fact that not everyone understands how endorsements work, and so they are offering "endorsements" to anyone who walk in the door, simply to have what looks like a huge artist roster. In the meantime, the artists get a dubious discount deal and (by some accounts) not as much support from the company they endorse as one might expect.

As PFOG suggested, read Bermuda's FAQ, and hopefully you're not dealing with one of these "magic endorsement" companies.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Whichever one you pick, go with the other one. Because the grass will always be greener on the other side ;)