DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Gold Member

Default Remo user trying Evans for the first time... Thoughts...

I've been switching between Emperors, Ambassadors, and Vintage Emperors on the snare and toms lately (all coated.) I recently decided to try Evans, because I wanted to try something different AND I wanted something where the coating holds up.

I ended up putting coated G1s on the 13, 16, and 18 tom batters and a coated G1 on the snare batter. I have the stock Ludwig clear resos on the toms and a Remo Ambassador snare-side on the snare reso.

So... I've had the G1s on there for a week or so and I'm super glad to say that the coating basically shows no/very little signs of wear. The Remos would've had the coating worn down at the hit spots within an hour. So yay for that!!!!

I will say that I love the deep tone I get on the toms. There's no need for moon gel or anything like that. The toms sound huge and warm! Love it!

However, I'm not so sure about this G1 on the snare. I like a snare to be open and ringy. I'm playing a brass edition 6.5 x 14 supra. The G1 appears to be the thinnest coated snare head Evans makes, which is why I went with it. But it seems like the coating used on this head really deadens the ring and overtones.

I've read a few comments on here that mentioned "if you can tell a difference" between the G1 and Ambassdor...... IF??? It's really hard NOT to tell the difference. They're enormous in my eyes (or ears, I guess.)

So... Is this a similar experience that others have had? Even the thinnest Evans coated snare batter head isn't "open" enough sounding for me. I still want to give it a shot and I'm dying for it to work, but I'm pretty undecided at this point.

Any tips? Anyone else feel the same way? Am I crazy?

Chris
Old 10-11-2012, 07:57 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Remo user trying Evans for the first time... Thoughts...

I know exactly what you are talking about. On an Evans coated head that I thought sounded a little too choked, blasphemous I know, but I would get one of those green abrasive scotch pads and take off excess coating. It seems like some heads get more coating than others. Or you could just keep it on, play it, and the excess coating will naturally wear away and the sound will change over time. But when they're new, some Evans coated heads sound a little dead/choked.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Gold Member

For my taste, on a brass Ludwig like you mention, I think a coated Evans G2 would sound great. They sound like a coated emperor, but a tad more open and "bitier". They allow the drum to ring out with a nice high end bite like a thinner head, but it also has durability and midrange meat. It sounds great on brass drums, especially Luddies.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtThump View Post
Anyone else feel the same way? Am I crazy?
Funny you mention the G1 on the snare. This may be the ONLY Evans head I don't like for my snare drums. Yet I love the PC reverse dot which is essentially a G1 with a dot underneath. How different can it really be? Yet to me it sounds so much better. Go figure. I switch back and forth between Remo and Evans for toms but my snares have Evans heads all the time. They just tune up really well and stay in tune.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrums21 View Post
For my taste, on a brass Ludwig like you mention, I think a coated Evans G2 would sound great. They sound like a coated emperor, but a tad more open and "bitier". They allow the drum to ring out with a nice high end bite like a thinner head, but it also has durability and midrange meat. It sounds great on brass drums, especially Luddies.
I haven't tried a G2, so I can't say anything from experience. But you'd sure think that a 2-ply G2 would be less "open" than a 1-ply G1, no?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about. On an Evans coated head that I thought sounded a little too choked, blasphemous I know, but I would get one of those green abrasive scotch pads and take off excess coating. It seems like some heads get more coating than others. Or you could just keep it on, play it, and the excess coating will naturally wear away and the sound will change over time. But when they're new, some Evans coated heads sound a little dead/choked.
I sure hope I warm up to it, because dummy be bought a 2-pack on sale. LOL There's a brand new looking G1 on my snare and one in a bag right next to it. Doh! :)
Old 10-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I haven't tried a G2, so I can't say anything from experience. But you'd sure think that a 2-ply G2 would be less "open" than a 1-ply G1, no?
I understand your logic and yes, you would think the single ply G1 would sound more open. But, at least for me, the G2 sounds more open (maybe due to different sound characteristics from the head that accentuate the metal shell?) and allows the brass shell to really sing out. The G2 has a richer tonality when played on a metal snare IMO that makes it seem like the drum delivers more tone. I know many guys who own black beauties and other brass shelled snares go with a coated emp or coated G2. Not saying the G1 or an ambassador wouldn't sound great, but the coated G2's have a certain mojo on brass drums. I run one on my snares and for me, it sounds alot better than an ambassador or G1. The PC reverse dot is a great head too, as mentioned above. It has the openness of the ambassador and the meat and durability of a 2 ply.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:21 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I understand your logic and yes, you would think the single ply G1 would sound more open. But, at least for me, the G2 sounds more open (maybe due to different sound characteristics from the head that accentuate the metal shell?) and allows the brass shell to really sing out. The G2 has a richer tonality when played on a metal snare IMO that makes it seem like the drum delivers more tone. I know many guys who own black beauties and other brass shelled snares go with a coated emp or coated G2. Not saying the G1 or an ambassador wouldn't sound great, but the coated G2's have a certain mojo on brass drums. I run one on my snares and for me, it sounds alot better than an ambassador or G1. The PC reverse dot is a great head too, as mentioned above. It has the openness of the ambassador and the meat and durability of a 2 ply.
Hmmmm... I think I know what I'll try next. :) Thanks for the info.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:20 AM
audiotech

Default Re: Remote user trying Evans for the first time... Thoughts...

The Evans Power Center Reverse Dot is a great sounding snare batter head. I use it on all my snare drums except two of them. They sound great live and recorded. Just recently I listened to a snare drum batter head shootout. They were testing about eight different batter heads. I believe they were using a Ludwig Black Beauty as the reference drum which was sampled by a Shure SM57. Out of all the heads that were demoed, I and several other people picked the Reverse Dot head as being in the top two or three. Most of my snare drums happen to be wooden shells of some make or another, maple, bubinga and mahogany/poplar/mahogany.

This was originally recorded in March 2008.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...+head+shootout

Dennis

Last edited by audiotech; 10-12-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Remote user trying Evans for the first time... Thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
The Evans Power Center Reverse Dot is a great sounding snare batter head. I use it on all my snare drums except two of them. They sound great live and recorded. Just recently I listened to a snare drum batter head shootout. They were testing about eight different batter heads. I believe they were using a Ludwig Black Beauty as the reference drum which was sampled by a Shure SM57. Out of all the heads that were demoed, I and several other people picked the Reverse Dot head as being in the top two or three. Most of my snare drums happen to be wooden shells of some make or another, maple, bubinga and mahogany/poplar/mahogany.

This was originally recorded in March 2008.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...+head+shootout

Dennis
Thank you very much for the info. Just when I think I'm getting this stuff figured out, I realize I must be wrong! LOL

For example, I would expect any snare head with a center dot to be less "open" sounding than one without (all other things begin equal.) I would also expect the G2 to be less "open" sounding than the G1.

I feel my head starting to spin again... ha ha

I guess I could try a few different Evans snare batter heads before giving up. I just figured this G1 should be the most open sounding and it's not as open as the Remo heads I've used before. I didn't think different Evans heads could actually be more open sounding?

Weird! I think I know what my next gear adventure will be... :) At least heads are cheap compared to cymbals. :)
Old 10-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

I have used (and liked) the G Plus, Genera Dry, Power Center, EC Reverse Dot, and Power Center Reverse Dot. Currently I have a white coated G Plus on my main 5.5x14 steel snare, a frosted G Plus on my 3.5x14 piccolo, and a Genera Dry on the 5x12 maple snare.

I will agree that if you are looking for the pop and the tone, a Power Center (regular or reverse) will do you well. I also strongly recommend the G Plus - I have been in love with those heads on my snares since I started using them over a year ago. Powerful, full of tone, and still sensitive. And durable. The four-month-old coated G Plus on my main snare looks as if it just came out of the box. I get plenty of ring and body with the G Plus - rimshots on my steel snares get the "glank" sound you would probably love.

The other heads I listed will definitely control the overtones, which, from what you say, is not what you want.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Silver Member

First, kudos to the Gearslutz forum in general. Aside from drum info from the drum boards I frequent, I find Gearslutz to be one of the most informative and useful forums when it comes to using drums in recording and recording in general.

Reading through the thread it strikes me that just like the preferences we have as what we like to hear in drumming, pedals, snare sounds etc., even under-the-microsope recorded sounds have very subjective effects with different people.

For example the poster chrisso is probably Chris Whitten of Dire Straits/Paul McCartney who uses the same handle over at Drummer Cafe. Chris is quite the guy when it comes to drum sounds as he is partners and a sound provider for some of the Superior Drums/EZ Drummer samples at Toontrack. Yet he is against some of the most popular head choices (G2 in particular) with others weighing in here and there differently on what sounds good to them.

We should all keep that in mind when it comes to registering our opinions on what's 'good' and what's not.

I'm still on that quest to find the perfect head for each snare and it seems to matter as to what I'm using the drum for and where I'm using it. One of the snares that seems to consistently mate with one head choice is my Pork Pie 5 x 13 maple snare. I've tried several heads on it but keep going back to coated G2's. To me it always sounds at least very good and sometimes outstanding with that head and I've gotten comments to support my opinion from different people in different places. Sadly none of my other snares are quite as consistent with head choices even though they are great sounding snares.

I thought the G2 in the shootout sounded great although I'd have a hard time using a clear head on my snare unless someone in the process was really lobbying for it or it had proven itself in some random way before walking into the studio or venue.

I've tried all of the heads in the shootout except the Hi Energy. I have used and still use Aquarians on several of my drums, the latest being a Modern Vintage on my Pork Pie 6 x 13 maple snare (the 5's slightly bigger brother) and some Response 2's on my live Gretsch toms. I'm finding that in general, I like a medium or medium thin head in general for all drums except bass drums. Anything thick sounds ..well...too thick and not responsive enough.

Jim

Jim Martin Music
Old 10-15-2012, 11:46 PM
Gold Member

Made a quick video comparing the coated G1 to the G2 on my Ludwig snare. A link to the video can be found in this post I just made.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...73#post1057673

Thoughts on the tone?
Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 AM
Gold Member

Hmmmm...interesting video. I actually liked the sound of the G1 better than the G2 in your recording, but that G2 sounded alot duller and middier than what I hear on my own drum. In this case, your assumption of a brighter more open sound with a G1 over G2 has been confirmed. On my drum, the G2 sounds like the G1 in your video. Go figure? I'm assuming you didn't dig the G2 so much? Too muddy sounding compared to the single ply G1? Maybe you would like the PC reverse dot best of all. It sounds alot like a coated ambassador, but has a touch more meat in the center due to the dot underneath...plus it's durable. I just placed a coated G14 on my snare to try out at the next gig and so far just from tuning it and tapping around, it sounds pretty good. We'll see. I like the sound I get from a coated G2 on my snares, but I'm always looking to find something that may sound better or fit the current slot in my transient taste for snare sounds. Durability is a big issue as well, so that narrows the field somewhat :/
Old 10-16-2012, 02:34 AM
Gold Member

I have two main snares. One is a Ludwig 6.5x14 supraphonic and it sounds the best, IMO, with a coated ambassador or coated Evans G2 or emperor. A Remo coated CS reverse dot, coated vintage emperor, Evans PC reverse dot and Gplus didn't sound as good. On my Joyful noise 6.5x14 steambent maple snare, the coated ambassador is too thin, the G2 sounds great, the PC reverse dot sounds good, the CS reverse dot sounds good and the G14 sounds good. The coated G2 just seems to win out so far, but I'm not done experimenting yet.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:41 AM
Gold Member

Check out this link, it may help some. Personally, I liked the snare sound on track 3 the best.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...-shootout.html

Last edited by cdrums21; 10-16-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:31 AM
Gold Member

To me, they actually sound more similar than I expected. The G2 was a little tiny bit more "muffled" (for lack of a better term), but not as much as I expected. Pretty similar, IMO!

I like the feel of the Evans heads for sure. These seem to have more bounce or something.

I'm amazed at their coating and even how easily they tuned. I just need to find the right head or they need to grow on me (which is starting to happen a little.)
Old 10-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
To me, they actually sound more similar than I expected. The G2 was a little tiny bit more "muffled" (for lack of a better term), but not as much as I expected. Pretty similar, IMO!

I like the feel of the Evans heads for sure. These seem to have more bounce or something.

I'm amazed at their coating and even how easily they tuned. I just need to find the right head or they need to grow on me (which is starting to happen a little.)
Well that's cool then. In person, the G2 does sound pretty open and like you would expect, just a tad bit more "muffled" as you say, being a 2 ply head. They are nice heads, the coating lasts forever and they do tune up esily. So, what are you leaning towards? Are you going to try some other types? PC reverse dot? G plus or G 14? To me, the G2 is the most open of Evans' 2ply heads. If you are still looking for an openish sound and haven't found it yet, the PC reverse dot, G plus and G 14 are all 1 ply heads. Then you get into the prefuffled stuff and specialty heads and I'm not sure you'll like them. Please let us know what you come up with :)
Old 10-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Well that's cool then. In person, the G2 does sound pretty open and like you would expect, just a tad bit more "muffled" as you say, being a 2 ply head. They are nice heads, the coating lasts forever and they do tune up esily. So, what are you leaning towards? Are you going to try some other types? PC reverse dot? G plus or G 14? To me, the G2 is the most open of Evans' 2ply heads. If you are still looking for an openish sound and haven't found it yet, the PC reverse dot, G plus and G 14 are all 1 ply heads. Then you get into the prefuffled stuff and specialty heads and I'm not sure you'll like them. Please let us know what you come up with :)
Thanks for all the help (you and everyone else!)

I'm not sure what I'll try next. The G1 and G2 both seem to be the most open sounding heads they have (1ply and 2ply), so I'm really confused as what to try next.

There's a chance I'll stick with the G1 and give it alot more time.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Gold Member

I just found a video that more or less shows the tone I'm after... Listen to the "ring" in this snare in this video and you'll get a great idea of what I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3UwtIHrAZY

Chris
Old 10-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I just found a video that more or less shows the tone I'm after... Listen to the "ring" in this snare in this video and you'll get a great idea of what I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3UwtIHrAZY

Chris
I like that sound ALOT, very similar to what I am after and usually get on my snares. I like a wide open sounding snare and kit as well. I don't use any muffling on anything except the kick. I know that with the drum center videos that Shane does, he usually uses a coated ambassador or the Ludwig stock head that comes with it on Ludwig drums. Those Ludwig stock heads sound great on their drums. They are a coated medium weight single ply head, much like an ambassador. They just have a touch more mids than an ambassador in my opinion, but very subtle...almost identical sound. I'll bet you'd like the Evans PC reverse dot head, it looks like a G1, can't see the dot and it sounds alot like what you are after. Judging from the sound you like, I'd say the G1, ambassador or PC reverse dot would be your options. I'm not sure what Aquarian offers, never tried them. For me, the durability issue is there, that's why I go with a G2/emperor or possibly this G14 if it works out. I'm gonna do a review on it after I play it out.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

The Acro's I have sounds like that. Yep, it comes with a Medium coated.

This type of tone/ring is the plain Aluminum shell (no chrome plating).

It's a different sound than the 402's I've owned, and I like it more than the 402.

Medium loose tension on batter, slightly more than medium on the snare side head is how the LTD came out of the box.
The first part of the video is probably just a little tweaked from "out of the box".
Snares side head has no collar and crimped film. Remo offers the no collar SS too (I think you know this).

Notice the snare CORD for the wires. It makes a difference.

The Ludwig coated Medium is a Diplomat weight 7.5, but the coating they use is kinda heavy, so it seems like an Ambassador.

If you want THIS sound, the 6.5 Acro is what you want. Fortunately, they aren't a ton of money.

My snares all have pretty much this type of character, but the Acro has the sound from the video.
I use a top dot head, with a very tight Remo no collar bottom, and 20 strand wires with Ludwig's snare cord holding them on (Puresound Black cord is nice too).

The top dot gets a more lively off the dot sound, and a solid center sound. A bottom dot head gets a flatter overall sound for me. I would still get the ringy tone off the dot area (on a bottom dot head), but not as much. The top dot is also smaller on a remo, but Evans might use the same size on both models. I like the top dot version of Evans PC head.

Good luck!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Gold Member

Thanks everyone! It's funny you mention the snare CORD. On the Ludwig, I went from a cheapo Gibralter snare cord to the grossgrain ribbon (however it's spelled.) The difference was very noticeable and the grossgrain ribbon tamed some rattles.

However, maybe now it's time to go back to the cord? Maybe the combination of the cord being more "open" sounding and the G1 being not as "open" sounding as the Remos is the answer?

That's interesting and I'll absolutely give that a shot in the next day or two. We may be onto something!
Old 10-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

I've tried Evans a few times and always go right back to Remo heads. To me they all sound muffled and lifeless, in comparison...especially the coated heads. I haven't found an Evans kick drum head that I like the sound of, at all. Some say they can't hear much of a difference...and maybe that's true from a distance...but it's night-and-day from behind the drums, IMO.

To be fair, the coating seems to wear off very fast for me on Remo heads, also. I just put up with it and replace them when the heads don't tune up anymore.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:11 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I've tried Evans a few times and always go right back to Remo heads. To me they all sound muffled and lifeless, in comparison...especially the coated heads. I haven't found an Evans kick drum head that I like the sound of, at all. Some say they can't hear much of a difference...and maybe that's true from a distance...but it's night-and-day from behind the drums, IMO.

To be fair, the coating seems to wear off very fast for me on Remo heads, also. I just put up with it and replace them when the heads don't tune up anymore.
Honestly? I think it's going to come down to that for me too. Either go for the tone that I want with the Remos and get pissed every time the coating wears off in 15 minutes or go with what seems like a million times better durability, but sacrifice that for the exact tone.

The Evans are definitely growing on me, so you never know what I'll end up doing. LOL
Old 10-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Gold Member

Karl mentioned the snare cord and yes, it does make a difference. I started a whole thread on this subject with explaination and experiments about it. It definitely opens up the sound. You can read the post if you're interested:

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...ght=snare+cord

It sounds like you're just about there and armed with the info you need, combined with your ears, to make a choice. The Evans heads grew on me too and I have used different models in different applications...just another tool in the drummer toolbox. Good luck bro, and have fun blasting that snare drum!
Old 10-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
The top dot gets a more lively off the dot sound, and a solid center sound. A bottom dot head gets a flatter overall sound for me. I would still get the ringy tone off the dot area (on a bottom dot head), but not as much. The top dot is also smaller on a remo, but Evans might use the same size on both models. I like the top dot version of Evans PC head.

Good luck!
That's interesting. I never used a top dot head, always the reverse dot thinking that the top dot would somehow muffle the drum more and affect the playing surface. I'm assuming the top dot head is coated? If so, how has the coating worn? I had an issue with the coating on Remo heads, as you know from the threads about it, and the Remo rep Brian Levan has been nothing short of awesome in customer service. He has sent me several heads to try to give him feedback on the coating. I have to test a coated emp he sent here soon, hoping the coating lasts longer than a few minutes.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

The heads I have on the main gigging BB's have been on well over a year.

Coated Emperor with top dot. I THINK the model number is BE-0014-22. I'd have to check.
No flaking, scrapes or anything.
The dot is smaller than the one used on the usual Coated underside Black Dot head all stores stock.
It's a clear Emp head, with a clear dot, and it's all coated.

There is an Ambassador version of this head as well. I used that one at first, but I liked the sound I got with the Emp w/dot better.

I use double butt end sticks, and have no problems with Remo's coating on any of my drums.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
The heads I have on the main gigging BB's have been on well over a year.

Coated Emperor with top dot. I THINK the model number is BE-0014-22. I'd have to check.
No flaking, scrapes or anything.
The dot is smaller than the one used on the usual Coated underside Black Dot head all stores stock.
It's a clear Emp head, with a clear dot, and it's all coated.

There is an Ambassador version of this head as well. I used that one at first, but I liked the sound I got with the Emp w/dot better.

I use double butt end sticks, and have no problems with Remo's coating on any of my drums.
Cool, thanks for the info. I didn't realize remo made an emperor with a clear dot and coated. I know of the emperor X which seems to be a popular head, but not the clear dot.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:09 AM
Gold Member

I searched the remo site and googled the number and description you gave me about the coated emperor with a clear dot and came up with nothing??? It obviously exists, wonder why I can't find it?
Old 10-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

You'll probably have to order it at a shop.
That's what I do. I tried to look it up as well.

It's a real part number, it's probably just in the main book.
I had the number wrong in the other post. Sorry.

THIS is the real model number: BE-0114-22.

The "22" is for the dot. A normal Coated Emp. is a BE-0114-00

This head is nothing like an Emperor X, it's much nicer.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
You'll probably have to order it at a shop.
That's what I do. I tried to look it up as well.

It's a real part number, it's probably just in the main book.
I had the number wrong in the other post. Sorry.

THIS is the real model number: BE-0114-22.

The "22" is for the dot. A normal Coated Emp. is a BE-0114-00

This head is nothing like an Emperor X, it's much nicer.
Cool, I found it. It's referred to as a controlled sound emperor. I really like coated regular emps on my snares, so in your opinion, what is the difference in sound and feel with this head? I'm assuming it has a more focused sound in the dot area, but does it inhibit the resonance much or sound "hard" compared to a regular emp?
Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

I'd say the main difference between the two (for me) is, with an Emp, the sound is pretty "even" with body/ring, and I'll get even more ring closer to the edge.

Rimshots have the usual "crack", and the whole drum rings, but, sometimes it can be too much (mainly when a mic is on it).

With the dot, it's a more solid overall sound, the "ring" happens more off the dot, giving different character depending on where, and how hard I hit between the dot and edge.

The rimshot sound has the crack, but on the dot it's more solid to my ear. Rimshots off the dot can get a variety of sounds.

Playing on the dot, with no rimshot, it's solid and not as ringy as a plain Emp.

I like an open snare, but I like to control when it sounds real solid, or like Alex Van Halen.
I like this drumhead because it gives me that.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I'd say the main difference between the two (for me) is, with an Emp, the sound is pretty "even" with body/ring, and I'll get even more ring closer to the edge.

Rimshots have the usual "crack", and the whole drum rings, but, sometimes it can be too much (mainly when a mic is on it).

With the dot, it's a more solid overall sound, the "ring" happens more off the dot, giving different character depending on where, and how hard I hit between the dot and edge.

The rimshot sound has the crack, but on the dot it's more solid to my ear. Rimshots off the dot can get a variety of sounds.

Playing on the dot, with no rimshot, it's solid and not as ringy as a plain Emp.

I like an open snare, but I like to control when it sounds real solid, or like Alex Van Halen.
I like this drumhead because it gives me that.
Gotcha, I like the same type of sound and I refuse to use moongel or anything (just takes out too much of what I like about a snare) even a small piece. Controlling an open snare can be tough when mic'ed. Sometimes a touch of verb and EQ does the trick and the ring becomes masked and blends in with the sound. Other times, the sound guy is a purest and that's when it's tough. I'll have to check those heads out. Thanks man!
Old 10-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Gold Member

Update...

I have been very aggravated this past week trying to get my Ludwigs to sound the way I want with the Evans G1 on the toms and either a G1 or G2 on the snare. I've tuned the set numerous times and I'm just not happy.

The G1's on the toms sounded great at first, but the deep "boom" they have caused the 16" floor tom to resonante too much and it ended up out of control. The 18" tom sounded horrible no matter what I did.

I just put a fresh set of Remo coated Emperors on the toms and the snare and spent a good while this past weekend tuning everything up. Now I'm back to having the tones I love and I'm no longer aggravated.

In a nutshell, I think it's fair to say that I'm not an Evans guy. I absolutely love how the coated heads still look new after many hours of playing, but the tone just wasn't there for me.

The coating on the Emperors I just put on is already coming off where I hit them, but whatever. LOL
Old 10-22-2012, 06:16 PM
Silver Member

That's cool that you experimented with the Evans heads. I was going to suggest using coated G2's on the toms with clear G1's on the bottom, but it sounds like the Emperors are working for you. Also, if you give it another go, the Evans PC Reverse dot is great on snares!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelius View Post
That's cool that you experimented with the Evans heads. I was going to suggest using coated G2's on the toms with clear G1's on the bottom, but it sounds like the Emperors are working for you. Also, if you give it another go, the Evans PC Reverse dot is great on snares!
Thanks again for your help (and everyone else too!)
Old 10-23-2012, 01:18 AM
Platinum Member

Just coming off? WTFFF????
I put on some Ambassadors and no problems, as usual. All the heads are just fine.
WTF is the deal with this stuff just flaking off?!?
That's just super crazy.

Glad you got the sound you want again though.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Just coming off? WTFFF????
I put on some Ambassadors and no problems, as usual. All the heads are just fine.
WTF is the deal with this stuff just flaking off?!?
That's just super crazy.

Glad you got the sound you want again though.
It's hit and miss. I recently outfitted my "go to" kit with Vintage Emps, and my BB with an X14. I've been whacking the crap out of those heads for over a week, not a single problem with the coating.

Around the same time I put coated emps on my Gretsch drums, which now have about 4-5 hours of playing time on them. The coating on both of those tom heads started wearing off immediately.

I wonder if it isn't due to the clear film on some heads, and the smooth white on others (i.e. Vintage Emps)?

Most Remo heads I buy start flaking off after a few hours of punishment. I don't think it's my hand technique or anything mysterious like that - I've had to become very careful about hitting as hard as I can without playing into the heads, since I went through a nasty 2 yr. bout with tendonitis.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:36 AM
Gold Member

I don't get it either. I know some folks don't have issues with the coating on Remos, but I've never had one that didn't wear quickly.

The Emperor on my Supra that I just put on last Friday (today is Monday) has the coating worn bigtime! The toms not as much, but still worn a lot.

I may take a pic.