DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:14 PM

Default How often should you practice

1. how much days
2. how much hours by day
3. should you take a break (and how often)
Old 04-29-2013, 09:19 PM

Default Re: How often should you practice

1. As often as possible
2. As often as possible
3. Yes...whenever your frustration level is so high that you can't concentrate...until you clear your head and feel like playing again. Or, if you hurt yourself.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Hey - this is an extension of your other thread.

There is no right answer here, and it's a good excuse to say that you can't play because you can't put in the time, as dictated by somebody else.

Well, newsflash, in the beginning it takes as long as it takes. All you have to do is coordinate your time among all the other things you have to do. Some people find every waking moment is spent practicing (when they're not doing other things like school and such). Some people only spend an hour or so a day and really utilize their time correctly. Some are sorta natural and never practice. You gotta find out which one you are and plan accordingly. Take responsibility and you tell yourself how much time you have to practice, and if you want this bad enough, you will do what you have to do to get there. Talk with your teacher and have him help you come up with a good practice routine and just keep at it. One day it'll be like a light turned on and your playing will start coming together.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Practicing tons of hours all the time would be great, but you already knew that. Make it your first goal to just sit down at the drums every day-- I don't care for how long. A good second goal is to see how many times you can keep on playing every time you get a strong urge to stop because you're bored or frustrated. Just try to do those two things. I don't think you'll be practicing long enough at first to need a break.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry,but the OP has 3 separate threads running and the first one is just asking how long is a pice of string and the other two aren't much better and have actually been asked here hundreds of times.

I'm smelling troll here.

Steve B
Old 04-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

Steve,
I agree - that was my impression also, judging from the first few posts the OP made.
But... on second thought it might really be a legit user who's a bit uncertain on a couple things. Let's try to help but I'll keep an eye on the OP. If it turns out to be trolling... the matter will be resolved shortly.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

Neksss, take a deep breath, and then let it out. Repeat as required.

The answers to all three of your questions are, "it depends". Every person, every developing drummer, every musician, is different, and arrives at a different place on a different schedule. This is not a video game where when you attain a certain number of points you "level up" and magically get a new ability. It takes time and lots of it.

You didn't learn to walk in one week or even seven months, I wager. Nor did you learn how to talk, type, use a computer, etc. And let's take that last task into account. "Use a computer". What does that mean? Most people can open email and surf the net. How many of them can write HTML, design a catalog in Adobe InDesign, or build a multilevel SQL database from scratch? Yet that's not the skill set most users aspire to. And getting to those levels takes ... you guessed it ... time and practice.

Take another deep breath. Let it out.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:03 AM
Silver Member

I know working musicians that have families and full time careers outside of music. They
practice 5 and 10 minutes, whenever they can. When I was young, I could practice and mix
in just playing for fun (that's important too I believe) for hours most days. In my full time career not in music working years practicing was whenever I could squeeze in a bit of it.
Now I can spend hours a day again and am loving it!

Improving on an instrument is like a plant growing. You first water the seed and not much happens that you detect, but keep at it and eventually the plant begins to appear.
The improvements are not linear depending on practice either....it's more like climbing stairs where no two stairs or treads are the same size. You practice and practice and don't notice anything then one day you do. It's thrilling to see progress in your own playing as you get better and better. The only reason to spend time on anything in the arts is because you love it.

Last edited by groove1; 04-30-2013 at 03:07 AM. Reason: sentence
Old 04-30-2013, 05:26 PM
Silver Member

"Should" Is an emotive word.

As far as I am concerned, practice when you really want to. If you force yourself to practice then it will be largely counter productive.
Some days I sit at the kit, and if I have the time, the whole day can just disappear. Some days I dont feel the buzz, so I dont play. Its not a job for me you see, I play for the love of the drums. I get paid for gigs but its not my job.
If it was my job I would feel compelled to practice every day, regardless. lets face it, you cant choose to go to work or not, If you want to get paid.

Enjoy it. The more you enjoy the easier the practice gets.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksss View Post
1. how much days
2. how much hours by day
3. should you take a break (and how often)
1. as little as possible
2. as little as possible
3. yes, as much as possible

I hope this has been helpful. In the meantime, it's five o'clock somewhere....
Old 04-30-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I know working musicians that have families and full time careers outside of music. They
practice 5 and 10 minutes, whenever they can. When I was young, I could practice and mix
in just playing for fun (that's important too I believe) for hours most days. In my full time career not in music working years practicing was whenever I could squeeze in a bit of it.
Now I can spend hours a day again and am loving it!

Improving on an instrument is like a plant growing. You first water the seed and not much happens that you detect, but keep at it and eventually the plant begins to appear.
The improvements are not linear depending on practice either....it's more like climbing stairs where no two stairs or treads are the same size. You practice and practice and don't notice anything then one day you do. It's thrilling to see progress in your own playing as you get better and better. The only reason to spend time on anything in the arts is because you love it.
really good description of how you learn .. with uneven steps... spot on :)
Old 05-01-2013, 02:32 AM
Silver Member

Drumming is truly the path to inner peace.

Just practice 24/7.

You'll be there by Thursday at 16:45 hours.