DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-12-2015, 11:25 AM

Default I got a drum riser!!

The Guitar Center I work at recently changed up the merchandising of the electronic drum kits, some of the kits were on drum risers that weren't needed anymore so they gave them to employees and I got one.
I definitely didn't NEED a drum riser but I wanted to see how having my drums off the floor effected the sound, plus I can't say no to free shit!

The riser has a wooden frame with a rubber mat on the top, it's about six inches tall and five feet wide and four feet deep.

I put my practice kit on it tonight and my drums instantly got a lot louder.
As far as EQ goes the low end is basically gone and the mids and highs are much more prevalent than before, overall I'm glad I didn't pay for this thing and if it wasn't so damn heavy I'd throw it in the dumpster!
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2015, 12:00 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: I got a drum riser!!

Very cool. It's amazing the sound difference when you decouple the drums from a solid floor with a riser
Old 06-12-2015, 12:22 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not sure if it's because of the riser or the position in the room but I think I agree with you, being on the floor seems to give the drums a bit more bass, but I much prefer the sound of the riser. Would have to setup another kit on it to figure out where the biggest difference lies.

You could move it to another part of the room and see how you go?
Old 06-12-2015, 01:19 PM

What would be cool is if you put castors (with brakes obviously) on the bottom of that and could wheel your kit into venues set up.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:36 PM
Silver Member

Maybe it's something you want to donate to a local venue with live music. Maybe they'd take it.

Personally, I'd rather shove needles into my eyes than lug something like that to gigs. :)
Old 06-12-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
I'm not sure if it's because of the riser or the position in the room but I think I agree with you, being on the floor seems to give the drums a bit more bass, but I much prefer the sound of the riser. Would have to setup another kit on it to figure out where the biggest difference lies.

You could move it to another part of the room and see how you go?

My kit was basically in the same spot before I brought the riser in. My band shares a lock out rehearsal room with 3 other bands, there's so much gear in the room my kit can't go anywhere besides where it's at!
Old 06-12-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
Maybe it's something you want to donate to a local venue with live music. Maybe they'd take it.

Personally, I'd rather shove needles into my eyes than lug something like that to gigs. :)
Yeah I'll ask around or see if the drum shop I go to wants it.
I'm not lugging that thing around ever! It's just going to hang out in my practice room until I find someone to take it off my hands!
Old 06-12-2015, 04:31 PM
"Uncle Larry"

It doesn't add up to me that you have less bass on a riser. It's supposed to do the opposite, give more bass. The space below the riser acts like a subwoofer.

So this does not compute. It seems a little small too. Is it 5 feet wide by 4 deep or the opposite? Seems 5 x 5 would be the minimal size. It looks like you don't have a whole lot of room for yourself, but it could be an illusion.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
It doesn't add up to me that you have less bass on a riser. It's supposed to do the opposite, give more bass.

That was my first thought, too. I can't remember ever having played on a riser that caused lower bass response. I'm perplexed.

GeeDeeEmm
Old 06-12-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
It doesn't add up to me that you have less bass on a riser. It's supposed to do the opposite, give more bass. The space below the riser acts like a subwoofer.

So this does not compute. It seems a little small too. Is it 5 feet wide by 4 deep or the opposite? Seems 5 x 5 would be the minimal size. It looks like you don't have a whole lot of room for yourself, but it could be an illusion.
I only played my kit for a few minutes with it on the riser but the low end punch I had with my kick drum on the ground was non existent on the riser at least from my perspective, there wasn't anyone else there to ask how it sounded away from the drums.

Yeah it's definitely too small for my kit, it was designed to hold electronic drum kits with have a smaller footprint
Old 06-12-2015, 05:51 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Oh wait, it was a riser for E drums! No wonder!

Is it metal? Maybe the metal is reflecting more highs into the room and it's altering your perceptions? Maybe metal risers don't transmit lows well?

Wooden risers make nice subwoofers.

You're probably better off putting the throne on a corner. You might have more room.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:45 PM

I had no idea a riser would change the sound.... except maybe elevevating the kit behind the band for a little better clarity.

Beyond the riser, I just thought it was a visual thing. Hey, there's a drummer back there (shrug shoulders).

Not sure what 4,5,6" buys ya

Last edited by Macarina; 06-12-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:45 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarina View Post
I had no idea a riser would change the sound.... except maybe elevevating the kit behind the band for a little better clarity.

Beyond the riser, I just thought it was a visual thing. Hey, there's a drummer back there (shrug shoulders).

Not sure what 4,5,6" buys ya
Yep it can make a big difference in sound, yes it works visually as well but I noticed a big difference in low end and overall tone. We bought a riser with wheels at church and it opened up the sound of the kit incredibly.

Check out this video, fast forward to about 4:30 you'll see how decoupling can make a difference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C4Jnl9PYKQ
Old 06-13-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Oh wait, it was a riser for E drums! No wonder!

Is it metal? Maybe the metal is reflecting more highs into the room and it's altering your perceptions? Maybe metal risers don't transmit lows well?

Wooden risers make nice subwoofers.

You're probably better off putting the throne on a corner. You might have more room.
I had a buddy of mine play the kit on the riser earlier while I listened from different spots in the room, when you're playing on the riser the low end is really quiet but from the other side of the kit all around the room the low end is definitely there. It definitely increases the overall volume of the kit!