DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 04-19-2013, 08:26 AM

Default Ideas for Blues fills

Everybody seems to be doing the same,any new ideas or recommended drummers I can check out ?
Old 04-19-2013, 08:41 AM

Default Re: Ideas for Blues fills

Perhaps I'm being obtuse, but do you mean slow blues, Texas shuffle, Memphis shuffle, Chicago shuffle, rhumba, four to the floor, Bo Diddley, New Orleans shuffle, New Orleans crawl, train beat, half-time shuffle, Purdie half-time shuffle etc, etc...?
Old 04-19-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnygrabber View Post
Perhaps I'm being obtuse, but do you mean slow blues, Texas shuffle, Memphis shuffle, Chicago shuffle, rhumba, four to the floor, Bo Diddley, New Orleans shuffle, New Orleans crawl, train beat, half-time shuffle, Purdie half-time shuffle etc, etc...?
all blues seems to have the same fills,if any at all, let me check all those styles in youtube,but starting from slow blues...any source of ideas?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:42 AM

I dunno man. The slow blues is really a format for the lead player to shine, not the drums. Slow blues is about dynamic and support. I have always believed it should be played with the emotion expressed in the lyrics and by the lead instrument. Blues was actually set up for this, and the drummer is there to play for the music...period.

Some would say the slow blues is quite easy to play, but I don't necessarily agree...as there are so many ways to play it wrong in the context of a song. Fills for me fall in this category a lot...and in my opinion it takes years of playing blues to get the phrasing right in a fill.

Sorry I'm not terribly helpful in pointing you anywhere, but it really is about feel, not fill.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I dunno man. The slow blues is really a format for the lead player to shine, not the drums. Slow blues is about dynamic and support. I have always believed it should be played with the emotion expressed in the lyrics and by the lead instrument. Blues was actually set up for this, and the drummer is there to play for the music...period.

Some would say the slow blues is quite easy to play, but I don't necessarily agree...as there are so many ways to play it wrong in the context of a song. Fills for me fall in this category a lot...and in my opinion it takes years of playing blues to get the phrasing right in a fill.

Sorry I'm not terribly helpful in pointing you anywhere, but it really is about feel, not fill.
I get you sonny,thanks,but i get bored playing always the same stuff...
Old 04-19-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palo View Post
I get you sonny,thanks,but i get bored playing always the same stuff...
Ah, so you do have the blues, heh. I guess it's context. Are you gigging with a blues band? Blues jam nights? Are you getting paid?

Something you might try is to go into your usual fill section a half or even a full bar early...or after. Blues is about nailing the one, but you can nail it in the middle of a fill too. Again, context , but this time context of the song.

Fool with it, experiment. You may stuff it up but that's why they say music is the most immediate art form. It's there and then it's gone! (ALMOST like it never even existed)
Old 04-19-2013, 11:24 AM

If I get bored with my fills I try to no reinvent the wheel. I tend to stick what I know and just dress it up differently. There are a few options:

- Add a flam
- Add a drag/double
- Add an accent
- Change a sound source
- Replace a snare or tom hit with a kick note

So if you have a simple fille like (L/R/L) that could become:

- (F/R/L)
- (rrL/R/L)
- (L/R/L)
- (Snare/Snare/Tom) or (Snare/Low tom/ High tom) or (Snare/Snare/Snare) etc
- (L/R/K)

Course you can mix and match as well. And don't be afraid to subtract as well. Leaving stuff out is a great tool. This method works for all fills, in all genres. Try it.

And I'd like to restate. Blues is about the feel. Train your ear. Listen to the lyrics. Feel how the drummer hangs in regard to the rest of the band. There's an art in there and it's difficult to master.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Ah, so you do have the blues, heh. I guess it's context. Are you gigging with a blues band? Blues jam nights? Are you getting paid?

Something you might try is to go into your usual fill section a half or even a full bar early...or after. Blues is about nailing the one, but you can nail it in the middle of a fill too. Again, context , but this time context of the song.

Fool with it, experiment. You may stuff it up but that's why they say music is the most immediate art form. It's there and then it's gone! (ALMOST like it never even existed)
jamming tonight with band.I live in Ethiopia,white musicians play for the beers here,I dont mind much ,just want to have fun when I play adding something imaginative, but i dont want to be in the way of the music...
Old 04-19-2013, 01:50 PM
"Uncle Larry"

The whole concept of your thread title runs counter to what Blues really needs. With Blues, your playing is predicated on what the others are playing. If you go into a song with an agenda to use a certain fill somewhere...there's so much wrong there that I don't even know where to start.

A drummer who fills inappropriately all through a Blues song doesn't understand Blues drumming. It's not about fills, it's about everything else but fills.

Blues drumming...after you cover the required beat and required tempo at the required dynamic, is ALL about listening....listening to the vocal and not getting in the way, listening to the individual solos and again, not getting in the way, but listening and supporting the soloist dynamically and thoughtfully. Help them, don't distract from them. In fact I think it's safe to say that your typical drum fill is not something you should even concern yourself with when attempting Blues. Ditch the fills, save them for Rock songs and instead keep it tight and solid. There's PLENTY of other stuff to focus on, but if you are in the mindset of wanting to play "cool" fills during Blues, all I can say is you're barking up the wrong tree. Blues drumming just doesn't have cool fills. Blues does have plenty of other areas of focus for drummers, but fills ain't one of them. If you want a change up, try playing straight through a section where you would want to put a fill in. It's harder than you think to keep it straight and steady and to resist the temptation to blow chops. Save your chops in Blues songs for the endings. During the rest of the song, your main concern is the beat, the beat, the beat. Make it feel good. The others are relying on you to be solid and unwavering. Generally speaking, fills detract in Blues songs.

Gomez Addams
Old 04-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Silver Member

Fills in the electric blues of the 50s - that sort of classic period - are called 'straights'. Listen to Sonny Boy, Howlin Wolf etc and you'll see why - the fills are usually full or half bar straight triplets on the snare.

If you want more sophisticated stuff you need to listen to the likes of Mitch Mitchell on Voodoo Chile (not the 'Slight return' version, the long one) or Bonham on Since I've Been Lovin You. Both of those are 12/8 tunes and it's all about subdividing that basic 12 pulse.

The short answer is, listen to some music and find some stuff you like.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liebe zeit View Post

The short answer is, listen to some music and find some stuff you like.
You beat me to it.

Another popular question on here is how to develop a feel for jazz. The same thing applies. Listen, listen, and listen some more.

You have to immerse yourself in this genre to really get a feel for it. You will find that it's not about fills at all.

Check out some of the blues masters like Fred Below, SP Leary, Sam Lay, Sonny Freeman, Chris Layton, and Willie 'Big Eyes' Smith.

I could go on but there are several more recommendations over in this thread...

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=46742
Old 04-19-2013, 07:58 PM

Check out Steve Jordan. Especially his work with The Blues Brothers and The John Mayer Trio. There are way too many great blues drummers to single one out really, but I love his pocket and his fills (if any) are super tasty.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Check out Toss Panos with Robben Ford.