DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 04-19-2013, 05:43 PM

Default 62' vintage gretsch

I have a 62' blue hologram finish Gretsch that I want to sell. I have a potential buyer, but I want to get the most out of the sale without hurting either of us in the process.
About the drum set:
It's barely been played. When I got it, it had been in moving boxes for 20 years. The owner said he played them for 10 years and put them in boxes.
There are a few stress cracks around some of the lug mounts, and a few what I believe to be mold freckles on the bass drum finish.
I'm not really sure what kind of wood they are, I'm guessing someone out there in drummer world will know that answer.
It's a five piece kit:
6 1/2 x 14 " snare
16 x 18" bass
2 12 x 10" toms
16 x 16" floor tom
Paiste 602 14" hats, and 20" ride
I'm trying to figure out how to add a picture. Any ideas out there?

Arne
Old 04-19-2013, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: 62' vintage gretsch

Literally impossible to say with our a few clear pics.I would also measure the drums again,bearing edge to bearing edge without the rims on.The bass drum is probably 14 not 16x18,and the toms 8x 12,not 10x12.The floor tom might be 14x14 if it's with an 18" bass drum.

Condition and originallity also has a great deal to do with value.If they drums were altered in ANY way for original,they will decrease in value from at least 35-40% of current market resale value.

The kit you describe was a non catalog item,and so it may have been pieced together over time,which further devalues it.

Post some clear, as in non cell phone pics of the exterior as well as interior and remeasure the drums.Gretsch didn't make mounted toms and bass drums in the sizes you state in the early 60's.

Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 04-20-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:18 AM
Silver Member

A few questions:
"Hologram" finish......do you mean "Satin Flame"....I'm not familiar with the Hologram finish or name.

Are you sure the floor tom is 16"?

Do the drums have sticker 'labels' inside the shell? Gretsch started to use the stickers on the inside of the shell around 62....there are some before, but mostly they're seen from 62 on.

If you have a shellpack that has an 18" bd with 12" toms and 14 floor tom....Factory original....they could be worth a LOT of money. The sizes I mention are 'sought after.'

Please post some detailed photos and measurements of your drums and we can give you some more advice on the potential worth of your drums. I'm getting excited just thinking about them. I know.....I know.....I need to get a life haha, I'm just a vintage Gretsch nut and I can't help it.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWN008 View Post
I have a 62' blue hologram finish Gretsch that I want to sell. I have a potential buyer, but I want to get the most out of the sale without hurting either of us in the process.
About the drum set:
It's barely been played. When I got it, it had been in moving boxes for 20 years. The owner said he played them for 10 years and put them in boxes.
There are a few stress cracks around some of the lug mounts, and a few what I believe to be mold freckles on the bass drum finish.
I'm not really sure what kind of wood they are, I'm guessing someone out there in drummer world will know that answer.
It's a five piece kit:
6 1/2 x 14 " snare
16 x 18" bass
2 12 x 10" toms
16 x 16" floor tom
Paiste 602 14" hats, and 20" ride
I'm trying to figure out how to add a picture. Any ideas out there?

Arne
Old 04-20-2013, 02:39 AM

The 602s are worth some bread too.