DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 04-23-2013, 01:53 PM

Default Ludwig Acrolite versus 400

Hi drumming friends!

Advice needed from all you Ludwig experts again!I currently own a Tama SLP aluminium snare, and have also owned a Pearl Sensitone Elite Ally, but after research I believe all these newer drums are modelled on classic Ludwigs. I thought why have a copy, if you can have the original.I have owned vintage Ludwig snares in the past, and my favourite was an acrolite. I realise the 400 and the acrolite are the same shell fundamentally, but the acrolite always sounded more open, why is that?
Also, have seen modern versions of the old drums and they seem over priced here in the U.K, is the build quality as good as something like a Sensitone?Any advice appreciated, trying to find the ultimate ally snare drum!
Old 04-23-2013, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Ludwig Acrolite versus 400

I always thought it sounded more open because it has less mass attached to it (8 lugs versus 10 on the Supra), and it doesn't have the chrome on it (also, a bit of extra weight on the shell). I have an Acro with tube lugs (even less mass and contact points), and it sounds REALLY open. Sometimes too open when she is being unruly....
Old 04-23-2013, 02:26 PM

Thanks, and that's exactly what I was thinking!Right, looks like I need another acrolite then!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

Well, you can't "go wrong" with an Acro--and if it's been a fave, you'll eventually buy one anyway haha!

The Pearl and Tama will sound a bit different because they're 10 lugs vs. 8, but with 2.3's, an Acro sounds a bit more solid than with the older 1.6 hoops to my ear.
I'm sure the other snares are/were nice drums, but the Acro is a seamless shell too...

I have one of the new (2012) 6.5 Acro Classics, and I like it better than the (3 different) 402's I've owned.
It's a little beefier to my ear, but retains the cool things about a 402. For ME, it's a more satisfying sound. This shell also works GREAT in rooms where you aren't mic'd, and the room is a little smaller, because you don't need to "lay off" quite as much. The sound doesn't get as piercing as other shell types can, and if you are mic'd, no problem then either.

I'd wanted a Brushed Aluminum shelled 6.5 (NOT a Blackrolite) since I was a kid--and this one didn't disappoint!

Good luck snare shopping!
Old 04-24-2013, 04:36 AM
Silver Member

Truely great drums, both of them. The 8 lug Acro just has a certain sound. I like aluminum anyway, and would love a new supra or an Acro. Either one. Eight lugs opens the drum up. Ronn Dunnett snares are all 8 lugs, I believe, and for good reason. Everyone should own an Acro. Most versatile metal drum ever made.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:14 AM
Silver Member

My '79/'80 Acrolite has hoops that appear to be 2.3 mm.. My '71 400 Supraphonic has 1.6 mm hoops. It's hard to tell them apart when I play them side by side. They both sound good for jazz, rock, country, or whatever we happen to be playing. I think the versatility of these drums is their greatest trait.