DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 05-14-2012, 02:39 PM

Default Electronic China Cymbal?

So i decided i was ready to take my practicing and drumming to the next level and i started to really look around. The base of my kit is an Alesis DM7. I purchased a Triple Zone ride (alesis) thus freeing up the original single zone ride for use as a second Crash. I also purchased 3 Cymbal mounts on Ebay so i have room for two more cymbals.

Ideally i was thinking i want Two crashes, one Ride, One hat, a China and i have yet to decide on the third one, probably a third crash or maybe a splash.

The problem i have is that i want to get a china like cymbal so when i do go to an acoustic kit, i wont be accidentally going for a crash or ride out of reflex. Does anyone know of a company that sells China shaped electronic Cymbals that are plastic/Rubber and not brass?

I know Pintech has them but the cheaper ones (PC) are well, cheap and crap, and the real decent ones (ZB and Visulite) are over priced in my opinion.

i was thinking of getting a single Zone cymbal that is all trigger and simply mounting it upside down but i wasnt sure what to look for.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Electronic China Cymbal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan View Post
The problem i have is that i want to get a china like cymbal so when i do go to an acoustic kit, i wont be accidentally going for a crash or ride out of reflex.[. . . ] the real decent ones (ZB and Visulite) are over priced in my opinion [. . .] i was thinking of getting a single Zone cymbal that is all trigger and simply mounting it upside down but i wasnt sure what to look for.
I think you've answered your own question. If you already have single-zone pad that you're happy with then another one of those will do just fine. You don't need to mount it upside down or anything: the only reason one does that to bronze china cymbals [by the way - try not to go for brass if you can afford proper cymbals] is because they are contoured differently to other cymbals and if you hung it the same way you hung a crash you'd shred your sticks on the edge of the cymbal and in the long term do damage to the cymbal itself.

A regular single zone pad that you would use for a crash/ride/splash should serve you perfectly well: playing a china is no different to a crash or a splash - it's not like using different techniques for riding - you just hit the thing (so to speak). If you're concerned about muscle memory or hitting things out of habit or whatever then surely it's a question of placement. If your china-pad is placed high on your right hand side, for example, then so long as you put your real china there when the time comes you won't have a problem. Not that I believe that to be a real problem anyway. Most chinas tend to be quite big and loud: they're hard to miss no matter where you put them on your kit.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan View Post
The problem i have is that i want to get a china like cymbal so when i do go to an acoustic kit, i wont be accidentally going for a crash or ride out of reflex. Does anyone know of a company that sells China shaped electronic Cymbals that are plastic/Rubber and not brass?
My two cents: When going from electronic to acoustic drums, the shape of the cymbal will be the least of your worries. The two instruments have such a vastly different feel anyway (not to menion the size difference) that the shape of a single cymbal won't give you any extra headaches.

I've owned both kinds of kit several times, and going between them has never caused any confusion like you describe; it's more a thing of getting used to both kits individually. Electronic and acoustic drums are two different instruments, and require different approaches and playing styles.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Gold Member

I agree that it won't really matter......but if you are dead set on the look of a china, you could always DIY one. Just get a cheap wuhan or similiar china, silence it somehow....I found that spray on bedliner worked great.....and affix a piezo trigger. Very simple for a single zone setup. Total cost would be around 50 - 100 dollars I would think
Old 05-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

If you're dead set on having a china-shaped cymbal, there are a couple of options:

http://www.smartrigger.com/products.html
http://www.hopedrums.com/Hart%20ECYM...II%20China.htm
Old 04-14-2013, 10:59 AM

Hey guys!

Since a couple of days ago, there's another option: Triggera's 14" electronic china cymbal