DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 04-24-2007, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Brian Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
Brady is the older brother, born in 1965 while is younger brother Brian was born in 1970.
thanks for the info...what that has to do with the latest post in this thread????
Old 04-24-2007, 06:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphinelli View Post
thanks for the info...what that has to do with the latest post in this thread????
Nothing ! I answered an old post...

My Kit Latest Update
Old 04-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphinelli View Post
yo yo, bb fans,

go get yourself a copy of kenny werner's lawn chair society
excellent album! featuring some excellent, moving compositions and excellent bb playing. my new favorite kenny werner album.

btw, hoping to go see joshua redman, brian blade, and christian mcbride in a couple weeks. talk about an all-star trio!

-murph
I still can't decide on that one. Well, that's not entirely true. It's great. Of course some of the tracks are utterly amazing. 13th Day, Kothbiro...Uncovered Heart wow!! Beautiful and moving tribute to his daughter tragically killed in an accident :( What a sad, lonely but joyful song.

The thing is though, the electronic tracks that he played with on it are tragically bad! Awful even. Some of the sounds he plays with just sound wrong I thought. Apart from those though, I agree the album is incredible and Blade is funky, swinging and hip throughout.

I still dig Form and Fantasy, Beat Degeneration with Ari at the moment. Actually, Werner is my favourite musician at the moment. His trio albums are some of the best I've ever heard, bar none, and I've been looking for Unprotected Music with Baron but haven't been able to find it as of yet.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzin' View Post
I still can't decide on that one. Well, that's not entirely true. It's great. Of course some of the tracks are utterly amazing. 13th Day, Kothbiro...Uncovered Heart wow!! Beautiful and moving tribute to his daughter tragically killed in an accident :( What a sad, lonely but joyful song.

The thing is though, the electronic tracks that he played with on it are tragically bad! Awful even. Some of the sounds he plays with just sound wrong I thought. Apart from those though, I agree the album is incredible and Blade is funky, swinging and hip throughout.

I still dig Form and Fantasy, Beat Degeneration with Ari at the moment. Actually, Werner is my favourite musician at the moment. His trio albums are some of the best I've ever heard, bar none, and I've been looking for Unprotected Music with Baron but haven't been able to find it as of yet.
Yes, this one grows on you. It's been growing on me. I see how some may not like the electronic, bizarre sounds...I've been getting into that somewhat lately...so I like it. Yes, a tragic story about his daughter. Very sad.

Since you're an Ari fan, I recommend Bill Carrothers' latest - Keep Your Sunny Side Up. Superb! Bill is another favorite of mine these days along with Kenny. Both are incredible and on the cutting edge in my opinion...
Old 07-11-2007, 12:46 PM
KARL MEMBER

Brian Blade is such an awesome musician. I agree that he has so much color in his playing, it`s musical...yet so intense, so powerful.
I got to know Mr. Blade as a Acid Jazz or Funk drummer when I watched a few videos...including Jazz crimes by Joshua Redman. I loved it but didn`t know that he can play Bop and all that stuff so incredibly well, too.

Later I watched some videos of him playing with Joshua redman, Brad Mehldau and Chris McBride on bass.

WOW...so inspiring, so creative.

I`ll look out for some cool CDs with him playing...

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:45 AM

BB is just downright incredible. Very inspiring!
Old 10-28-2007, 07:22 AM

met brian on friday, amazing, amazing human being. He used to just be my hero, now my friend.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:16 AM

That was a fabulous tour. I saw them in three different cities. Blade is a serious contender, IMHO, for most dynamic live player. No matter the mood of the song, he shines.
Can't imagine him rocking out with some of the speed players... but he's found his element.. and he elevates himself every show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco68 View Post
Last night I witnessed a truly spectacular live show by Daniel Lanois with Brian Blade on Drums at Summerfest 2006 in Deep River, Ontario Canada. The show was an incredible experience. I knew we were in for something special when the drums were set up at the front of the stage and not in the back as we usually see. The drumming was nothing I had ever seen, his passion for playing was obvious. I found myself spending more time watching his movements and sequences more than actually watching Daniel Lanois. If you ever have the opportunity to see Brian Blade live,GO FOR IT........you will not be disappointed!
Old 10-28-2007, 05:54 PM

I'll go all the way back to post #2 and say that Chris Potter's "Gratitude" has Brian Blade on it and is killin'. Not just Brian Blade's drumming but Chris Potter is always burnin' and the other players really bring their A stuff too.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:34 PM

I first heard Brian Blade on Momentum and it blew me away.
I'm trying to get my hands on all his recordings now, the guy is amazing..

He's playing Dublin next month with the Dave Binney Quartet so I'll get to hear him live, and hopfully meet the guy afterwards.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:31 PM

Everyone should listen to the latest Kenny Garrett offering "Beyond the Wall". Amazing musicality. Not to mention that it also includes Mulgrew Miller, Pharoah Sanders and Bobby Hutcherson.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:26 AM

You should check out the new Fellowship record Season of Changes..not only great drumming great writing and the band sounds great especially Kurt Rosenwinkle..
Old 05-09-2008, 05:13 AM

the Fellowship is certainly incrediable and just shows why Brian is so musical with all those lush ideas going on in his head
Old 05-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Pioneer Member

The new Fellowship is the best one to date in my opinion. Great playing, great writing, just all around gorgeous music. My favorite tune so far is Stoner Hill.

By the way, whoever mentioned Kurt Rosenwinkel, you should check out his new live album with Eric Harland on drums. I think its only on ArtistShare, but its absolutely killin.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:56 AM

Woah, I know its already been said, but that new Fellowship record is great. Everyone go get and support this great band.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:13 AM

i just saw him live at the vanguard...the most musical, dynamic drummer i have ever watched. his writing is really innovative too
Old 07-09-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsch223 View Post
i just saw him live at the vanguard...the most musical, dynamic drummer i have ever watched. his writing is really innovative too
was it with The Fellowship?
Old 07-09-2008, 11:14 PM

does anyone know what equipment brian blade uses? Like what heads and stuff specifically. I really like his drum sound with like the fellowship and wayne shorter
Old 09-18-2008, 01:14 PM

Modern Drummer did a great piece on him a few months back.

http://www.moderndrummer.com/updatef.../Brian%20Blade
Old 09-20-2008, 01:58 AM
Silver Member

Ahhhhh. How much do I love Elastic...
Old 09-20-2008, 02:13 AM
jay norem

Default Re: Brian Blade=Ultimate Badass

I saw Brian Blade with his own band at the Atlanta Jazz Festival about six years ago, and I just loved his playing. He plays with just the right amount of abandon, just the right amount of instinctive flow. He's not a control or chops freak. He is a musician, a jazz musician playing the drums, and as such he's at the top in my opinion. The music was great, the band was great, I think it was the Fellowship.
I hate to say it but I don't have any of his CDs. Man I have a list of about 30 good jazz CDs that I want, but there you go.
But I watch him on Youtube and I just love the way he plays. My kind of jazz drummer for sure.
And as off-topic as it is, I have to say that I just love this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama Player View Post
It may be the best that u ever heard, but maybe not us. Neil peart has awesome dynamics and so does Tony willaims and Buddy Rich. But if in your opinion its the best, I will not agree or disaggree. : )

Last edited by jay norem; 09-20-2008 at 03:36 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:43 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I have 'Perceptual' and 'Fellowship'. Great albums, everything Jay says about the man is great. Intense musical sensibilties and a real feel for what to play and how to play it. Moments of insane fire juxtaposed with great sensitivity. He's just great.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:52 AM

Default Brian Blade

I'm seeing Mr. Blade guy play on the 21st of Feb with Chick Corea and (of course) I'm excited. Checked him out on youtube - hes really cool - and funky so now I can't wait. Its going to be huge - Chick with the Five Peace Band (John McLaughlin, Christian McBride and Kenny Garrett) at the iconic Sydney Opera House. You guys seen him live? Any sweet solos I should expect?

Thanks heaps!

H
Old 01-29-2009, 11:28 AM

whoa whoa whoa!
chick corea is playing in australia,what are the dates / venues?
Old 01-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Silver Member

Brian Blade is deffinitley one of my favorite modern players, he is AMAZING. Have fun!
Old 01-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Silver Member

I'm seeing them on the 18th I believe?

At Hamer Hall. Which is exciting, cuz it's an all star band, and I've never been to the venue. Trumpet player found out about it, and bought us the tickets.

Then the next month I'm seeing Brad Mehldau!
Old 01-30-2009, 12:19 AM
Silver Member

/begin rant

I'm sooooo friggin mad about this tour with chick corea!!!!!!!!!! cause our school's music department is so awesome, the music theory and music technology classes every year get to miss a day of school to go out and see a sick concert! and guess what, this year the concert was to see chick corea and the five piece band at lincoln center in NYC in april. FOR FREE by the use of this awesome fund raiser. But guess what, our wind ensemble/jazz band was planning this trip for like 10 years, and this was the year we're actually doing it (its a 4 day extravaganza, we go to williamsburg, VA and play music and have a grand ole time). BUT THEY MADE THE TRIP THE EXACT SAME WEEKEND WE WERE GONNA SEE THE 5 PIECE BAND. and now i have to miss probably the best concert ever for free no less to go with the other group!

argh!

/end rant
Old 02-02-2009, 01:15 AM

For me, simply put, Brian Blade is one of the greatest geniuses to play the drums today, and possibly ever.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:11 AM
Platinum Member

Well, I'm playing with a singer/guitar player (Timothy Hill ) next month, who has played with Brian Blade. So six degrees of separation right there! ; )
Old 02-02-2009, 04:41 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delliejonut View Post
For me, simply put, Brian Blade is one of the greatest geniuses to play the drums today, and possibly ever.
I dont know if Id go as far to say ever. I dont really know of any real innovations Brian Blade brought to the drum-set in a jazz setting. DOnt get me wrong, hes an incredible player, but I just think ever is a very strong word to be using in reference.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:02 AM

Brian Blade IS without doubt, an incredible player. He's a very musical drummer & in my opinion he's definitely earning his place amongst the modern greats ...

I love the vibe of the little Gretsch with the 16" kick: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8VdtC9WhnCg

marvellous stuff!
Old 02-21-2009, 06:21 AM

I just saw yesterday's show.

Holy crap. I now have (yet again) a new favourite drummer.

Hope tonight's is just as good for you.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Silver Member

My band saw them on Wednesday...

We've all agreed that Brian Blade was the star of the show, along with Kenny Garrett, and Christian McBride.

Chick was great, but not as good as I was hoping. John Mclaughlin was a freak (of course) but a little too choppy for my liking. The calls of "Mahavishnu" were very predictable though.

Brian dropped a stick, which was funny, but was in flying form all night long. McBride's solos were outstanding, and Kenny brought a massive amount of emotional energy to the stage.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:00 AM

Default Brian Blade... My hero

I feel it is absolutely necessary that someone spark a discussion about Brian. He is simply a genius and very very nice actually. I had the privileged of seeing him play with "5 peace band" (john McLaughlin, chick corea) and was stunned not only by his playing but also by how genuinely nice he is. He was playing for Vinnie, and man what a GREAT player. In my opinion his playing is that in which you can appreciate no matter what your musical background is. His creativity is never ending he is an incredible showman, and to be honest i feel as though no one i have ever seen sounds anything like him. I guess i was just curious as to what everyone else thought. He already has quite a rep but i in vision him being one of the all time Jazz greats.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Brian Blade... My hero

He plays great. It is very musical and groovy. I also like how he plays in many very different bands like Joshua Redman, Brian Blade Fellowship, and Black Dub. I think he already is one of the greats.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:25 AM

Brian Blade has definitely become one of my favorite players. I first really got a chance to see just how brilliant he is back in either 2002 or 2003. I got see him twice that year, for free, hells yeah, with both Brian Blade and Wayne Shorter. The man is incredible and I was absolutely floored with his playing both times. I have been a fan ever since. He has been and will continue to be a lasting influence on my playing.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:37 AM

And more. Jazz Crimes, anyone?
Old 04-25-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinngadd View Post
Brian Blade has definitely become one of my favorite players. I first really got a chance to see just how brilliant he is back in either 2002 or 2003. I got see him twice that year, for free, hells yeah, with both Brian Blade and Wayne Shorter. The man is incredible and I was absolutely floored with his playing both times. I have been a fan ever since. He has been and will continue to be a lasting influence on my playing.
Agreed and seconded, his incredible versatility and ear for the music is impeccable. And he is soo fun to watch play!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:20 PM

He is hella fun to watch play! Speaking of which, there was a point where he was going off and killing the ride he had on his right side and the wingnut on the tilter came loose and the cymbal bent over. Joshua Redman went over to hold the cymbal in place and actually grabbed the cymbal to keep it in place. Brian was so engulfed in the moment and in the music, that he didn't immediately realize that the cymbal was no longer ringing, AND to make matters worse, he didn't realize that he was also beating the hell out of Josh's hand! Repeatedly! When he finally realized what was happening, the look on his face was hilarious, Josh was laughing as well though, and him getting his hand bashed in had absolutely no effect on how brilliant his playing was that night. And I meant to say that I saw him with Joshua Redman and Wayne Shorter that year. Again, an absolute beast on the the drums and one of my heroes. Dude's on my short list!
Old 04-30-2010, 04:21 PM

He is such a great drummer. Seen him with Lanois a couple of times :-)

Brian with Black Dub