DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 12-26-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Stewart Copeland

Stewart Copeland is probably my favorite drummer. What are your opinions?
Old 12-26-2005, 05:04 PM
Thinshells

Default Re: Stewart Copeland

He is one of those drummers that really nailed a niche. I just got done watching my synchronicity live concert dvd.

It was a terrible thing that the Police broke up...

Anyway, I always though Stewart had a *awesome* sounding kit and cymbals. Not just parts of it, but the whole kit was very unique sounding. His snare had a signiture tight and crisp sound---the same with his hats.

His style was extracted from reggae, and well off the beaten path of standard 80's drummers. The look of his kit was hybrid--like a scaled down prog rock or fusion kit. Complete with cool octobons. It was even a cool color. (Midnight blue)

I don't even know what he's doing now except maybe composing tv music.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:27 PM

I always found awesome that most of his performances were totally improvised, and even so, very difficult for us to re-do!!
Old 12-26-2005, 09:00 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinshells
I don't even know what he's doing now except maybe composing tv music.
For a recent recording, check out the Les Claypool-fronted "Oysterhead" CD.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins
For a recent recording, check out the Les Claypool-fronted "Oysterhead" CD.
i'm not sure it was claypool fronting it, i think all three of them brought a fair bit of the crowd in. copeland, claypool, and trey anastasio.

that was a great cd - a little strange, but fantastic playing, especially by stewart.

he's one of those drummers whose style is really and truly unique. very few people can play a beat and leave out a backbeat at random times without it sounding completely wrong - and no one can do it like he can.

not to mention, of course, his phenomenal hi hat work.

definitely a drummer worth studying and listening to.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlehnertz
She saw probably Omar Hakim

Saw him with Sting in 1984 "Dream of the Blue Turtles" tour.

Excellent drummer!

http://www.sting.com/features/blueturtles/musicians.php
Old 12-29-2005, 04:21 PM
mlehnertz

Without a doubt. Some tasty playing on that album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Crimson
Saw him with Sting in 1984 "Dream of the Blue Turtles" tour.

Excellent drummer!

http://www.sting.com/features/blueturtles/musicians.php
Old 12-29-2005, 04:36 PM
Stu_Strib

Yeah that was Omar Hakim....decidely NOT very Stewart Copeland lookin'
Old 01-04-2006, 09:54 AM

Stewart Copeland is by far my all time favourite drummer and the one who has inspired and possibly influenced me the most. what I found most amazing about him is his sound in combination with his playing style. He has such a signature - as did all of the Police. I immediately recognise his drumming. His whole drumset sounds unique - from the way he tunes his snare to his signature splash-cymbals. since I seriously started to listen to drummers I have never come across a drummer with such a unique playingstyle and sound. For me, he was definately the most unique musician in the trio. Sting was arguabely the gifted songwriter, but without Copeland the Police would have sounded radically different.

I might be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that Sting and Copeland actually never spent time together in studio when they recorded Synchronicity. Can anybody elaborate on this story?
Old 01-04-2006, 10:33 AM

OLe - check out this link - it seems that Copeland and Sting weren't the best of pals during that time...

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar0...ssictracks.htm

I bought The Synchronicity Concert DVD last week - I seriously recommend any Copeland fans to get it. His playing is phenomenal on that gig.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco
OLe - check out this link - it seems that Copeland and Sting weren't the best of pals during that time...

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar0...ssictracks.htm

I bought The Synchronicity Concert DVD last week - I seriously recommend any Copeland fans to get it. His playing is phenomenal on that gig.
I just got it - amazing playing and great hairdos.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Pioneer Member

My band has been working on 'Message in a Bottle' ... I'm very intimidated by the drumming, but finally taking it beat-by-beat and getting it broken down ... actually quite fun to play. I'll definitely be listening to other Copeland stuff to try.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:19 PM

glynes, I play Message In A Bottle too, it's good fun eh? There's a lot going on with the drums in that track. I find Copeland very hard to reproduce completely because his playing has a sort of haphazard looseness to it, but all the while being groovy as hell.

OLe - have you seen on the DVD when he's taping his hand/wrist up? What is THAT all about. He is like RoboDrummer.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco
OLe - have you seen on the DVD when he's taping his hand/wrist up? What is THAT all about. He is like RoboDrummer.
Yeah, I´ve noticed that - and that he has a towel taped along his snare drum - probably to protect his leg from scratching against it I would think. I never really figured out why he would tape his fingers though. Maybe it´s the same thing as drummers you occassionally see wearing gloves - I never quite figured out that one either, but I reckon it is to get a better grip or something?

Copeland is a hard hitter and he uses a traditional grip - perhaps the tape strengthens his grip or something? Perhaps he is a bit sloppy and uses it as scratch-protection?
Old 01-22-2006, 05:27 PM

no one really knows what kind of hi-hats he used. some people say that he used paiste 2002 13" medium hats. others say that he used paiste 602 which are not made anymore either way I don't think anyone can recreate copelands hi-hat work. oh and gettting back to the conversation above...stewart copeland admited that he would some times do extra drum work in the recording process like message in a bottle sounds different live in some of the cymbal work. there was also the echo machine he work with that he put alot of his equipment through like his hi-hats on walking on the moon. he then stated that he did not redo anyof hid drum work after a while. one world (not three) wasthe first take of that song!!! one of his best drumming songs ever. I too have the DVD and the complete recordings so that added to my knowlege of stewart copeland and that after he inspired me to play drums I spent everyday researching him. the other thing is that he could play reggae which changes everyone's knowlege of druming, he was raised on jazz started with punk with the police then moved in to rock regge fusion. the best (rock) drummer out there.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:51 PM

Hello people, Im new on here and I figured my first post on a drummers forum should be about my favorite drummer! Stewart copeland is Gods gift to the hi hat, period.

MURDER BY NUMBERS!
Need I say more?
ZILDJIAN
Old 02-03-2006, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLe
Yeah, Iīve noticed that - and that he has a towel taped along his snare drum - probably to protect his leg from scratching against it I would think. I never really figured out why he would tape his fingers though. Maybe itīs the same thing as drummers you occassionally see wearing gloves - I never quite figured out that one either, but I reckon it is to get a better grip or something?

Copeland is a hard hitter and he uses a traditional grip - perhaps the tape strengthens his grip or something? Perhaps he is a bit sloppy and uses it as scratch-protection?
I tend to think the tape was strictly for the horrible blistering touring so much caused. In thier day The Police toured a hell of a lot more than most of thier peers.
ZILDJIAN
Old 02-03-2006, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
plus he's a hang of a composer. he did the soundtrack for 'blade runner' i heard.

j

yeah also "Tyson" based on Mike Tyson.
great drummer with a unique style and one of the best drum sounds of his era.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Womble

(Sorry to drag this back up, Nutha)

Stewart Copeland did not write the Blade Runner soundtrack!! Let's be sure of this. It was Vangelis. And what a masterpiece it is. A lesson in crafting sound. Ahhhh the analogue fatness. I don't think I've ever heard another 'album' (that word seems inappropriate) that transports me away from earth like this one does. Anyone who has the slightest liking of or interest in electronic music must own this soundtrack.

Sorry, now back to Stewy....
Old 02-04-2006, 10:21 AM
Pioneer Member

I heard he was very cocky and a pain to be around. A friend of mine said that he watched an interview where he was saying that there is no greater drummer than him and all that. Despite all of this, he is one hell of a drummer and is very talented!
Old 02-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Gold Member

Amazingly talented. Not too sure about his ego though.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:50 PM
Stu_Strib

Stewart Copeland was one of the three main rock influences when I first started playing (Steve Smith and Jeff Porcaro being the other two).

His style is so unique yet pretty subtle. You don't see him drawing attention to himself. You find yourself listening closely to his hats and other intricate parts and thinking...wow...that is so much harder than it sounds.

This is my favorite bit of his that is a bit more showy than his normal stuff. This was the first drum part I ever broke down piece by piece to learn:

notimethistime.mp3

I find that I use that first break probably 3 or 4 times a night per gig! I almost forgot where I even picked it up, until No Time This Time came on my mp3 player for the first time in forever.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
I find that I use that first break probably 3 or 4 times a night per gig!
I can see why. That was hot. Second one is monstrous.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:39 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat
I can see why. That was hot. Second one is monstrous.
Come to think of it, I use that one way too much too! (That was the first "cool" fill I learned, thanks to Bonham stuff!). I like the last one which is just single strokes on the snare (then around the toms), but with a really interesting grouping (like 7s or something..they fade it out, so its hard to tell).
Old 02-05-2006, 08:07 PM

i like his playing a lot, he's got a very intricate way of playing and i havent got a clue haw he does half the things he does.
i didnt know he was such a prolific composer though!
Old 02-08-2006, 06:17 AM

Excellent drummer, he's so fun to watch. One of those guys where you think,"That sounds easy," than you sit down and its a whole different story. Extremely creative.
On the Synchronicity DVD he tapes his hands, any one know what kind of tape, and in what configuration? I've been trying that lately and haven't found a solution. Thanks
Old 02-08-2006, 08:34 PM

As per http://www.stewartcopeland.net/ he uses Paiste Signature - Dark Crisp Hi-Hat 13". Go to the "drums" tab and hover over the hats.
From the drummerworld pics, seems like he used the RUDE series for cymbals; my guess would be that the hi-hats were too.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:47 AM
foghorn2

By far one of the greatest drummers of all time. Take a listen to "Driven to Tears". No way anyone can re-create his stuff on that song! During the 80's I touted him as the best while my friends loved Neil. Neil was great then but I found him to robotic for my taste. Stewart was a monster an articulate artist at the same time. Not until I heared Neil during the "test for echo" years that I ranked them both equal.

Now if just Stewart would get out of his little hole and put out a drumming DVD and show us all what he is all about, then I could kick him up a notch again!

PS.
He used the 602's and Rude in the old days. A clue to his high hat tricks has to do with the tension on the foot pedal at any particular time during the varied angles, locations, and intensities of hits on the hats. Certainly no disco!
Old 02-10-2006, 05:24 PM

Every little thing he does is magic

I mostly like his earlier work..

The cross-stick work on the song "Reggatta de Blanc" ...."The bed's too big..."

Great great ideas.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:45 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

If anybody is after a somewhat geeky/film music oriented laugh, have a listen to this:

http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail342.html

It's Stewart at a presentation/Q&A thing as part of what appears to be an Apple OSX conference. Funny stuff, and if you're wondering about the personality thing I think this goes a long way towards getting an idea of what he's like.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynes
My band has been working on 'Message in a Bottle' ... I'm very intimidated by the drumming, but finally taking it beat-by-beat and getting it broken down ... actually quite fun to play. I'll definitely be listening to other Copeland stuff to try.
Be careful with that one.. there are actually two drum tracks running for the entire song. He did this a lot and it's so great. Some times it's real obvious as when the back beat goes right through the fills (Ghost in the Machine) .. but on the early records it's harder to hear, but it's there. It's just the way a guitar player would do it and it's brilliant. Check out the last verse of Message in a Bottle .. you're hearing two hands on the hi hat and ride cymbal and snare. The whole thing just lifts off the ground from the extra "hands" as it were.

Stewart is one of the great ones. I can't wait to see his home movies. I also wish the Police would tour again, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Gold Member

For those in the UK, Stewart is currently judging a singing reality TV thing..called 'Just the 2 of us' or something. It's where b-list celebs sing in pairs blahblahblah. I was disappointed he went on the show..its just cheesey crap...they must be paying him a bundle.

**edit

http://www.stewartcopeland.net/forum...opic.php?t=490

That explains it. Can't say i agree with him though.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:15 AM

According to an interview I read, Stewart Copeland was the only person Buddy Rich ever asked for an autograph. But the funny thing is, that it was for his daughter. It was actually pretty funny when Stewart said it, I wish I could find the link.

Last edited by CheeseCake; 03-20-2006 at 04:08 AM.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:22 AM
helldrummer

i love the way stewart copland pushes the beat forward.. i.e. plays a little bit ahead of the 2 and 4 on the snare... ..his drumming in every little thing she does is magic is brilliant !!

by the way is it just me or is there quite a lot of room for double bass in some police songs (message in a bottle, can't stand losing, every little thing... etc.) ?

i tried putting some 16ths in one day when i was practicing my singles on the double pedal and i noticed how well it can fit in.. mainly because of the intensity of some of andy summers's playing

......or i am just killing the songs ??
Old 03-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helldrummer
i love the way stewart copland pushes the beat forward.. i.e. plays a little bit ahead of the 2 and 4 on the snare... ..his drumming in every little thing she does is magic is brilliant !!

by the way is it just me or is there quite a lot of room for double bass in some police songs (message in a bottle, can't stand losing, every little thing... etc.) ?

i tried putting some 16ths in one day when i was practicing my singles on the double pedal and i noticed how well it can fit in.. mainly because of the intensity of some of andy summers's playing

......or i am just killing the songs ??
Unless you're copeland. then yes.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:42 PM

Stewart Copeland was just on HD.net's Steve Wilonsky show. Stewart recently filmed a new documentary about the Police. I think it will be premiered at Sundance.

He said that back then all they did was fight and would never rehearse, just one take to record. He also said that he likes being in bands where he can collaborate with other musicians. Sting was the opposite, he is a born leader and Andy is a cross between the 2 of them. He loves them and are all very supportive of each other.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:00 AM

The dvd is called "Everyone Stares", it looks pretty good. Man do I love that band, I think Stewart Copeland is quite possibly the funnest drummer to watch ever.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:23 PM
helldrummer

Quote:
Unless you're copeland. then yes.
gee thanks that was a well thought out response.
real funny too.
thanks mate.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helldrummer
gee thanks that was a well thought out response.
real funny too.
thanks mate.
Now, now, we've established you can use the full-stops for that 'I'm pissed at you' effect, but you asked a question, and i gave my answer. If you don't like being criticised dont ask questions about yourself.

And on topic, i had no idea Copeland and Andy Summers performed with Incubus, that must've been awesome.

Check it out at stewartcopeland.net under tours or something.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:01 AM
helldrummer

Quote:
Now, now, we've established you can use the full-stops for that 'I'm pissed at you' effect, but you asked a question, and i gave my answer. If you don't like being criticised dont ask questions about yourself
you didn't even give any thought to what i said about the double bassing potential in the choruses of those songs i mentioned, you just took the opportunity to try and be funny. good on ya.

are you even interested in experimenting with new ideas? don't you find it fun to try and find new and creative ways to approach these songs, e.g. to ask yourself "how would copland play this if he were to record it a second time?"

btw, does anyone know if he plays on dirty drowning man, track 9 on antipop by primus? i'm pretty sure he helped produce it, so it would make sense that he played on it as well