DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 04-09-2013, 03:14 PM

Default Pearl Blx tuning issue

Hey guys I've owned my Blx kit for a number of years now . Recently I began recording in my practice room and I have noticed my 13" tom really lets out overtones that gets in the way pretty much everything, like when I play the kick drum the over tone rings out. The head Im using is an Evens EC2 skin and the bottom head is a Pearl Ws? Is there something im missing when tuning this tom or are the Blx drums naturally gonna have overtones??

all you help and advice is greatly appreciated
Old 04-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Pearl Blx tuning issue

Try putting about 3 ( give or take ) cotton balls in the shell. They'll rest lightly on the reso head. You can put them in by forcing them through the vent hole. Where it's a BLX, u wouldn't have ISS mounts. So you could even push them through the Tom mounting hole. Give it a try. I hope it helps.
DW, Gilbrator
Old 04-09-2013, 07:44 PM

Ok that sounds like it could work :) ill give it a try and post back what happens. Many thanks :D
Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 PM

Woop it works I never thought such a simple concept would sort it :) thanks so much :)
Old 04-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

Np. It works even better in some Floor Tom situations. I had a problem with a floor Tom where the sound on the reso was bouncing off of the floor and back up. It caused the drum to have a really wierd " over rumble" kind of sound. A few cotton balls straightened it out.
DW, Gilbrator
Old 04-09-2013, 10:16 PM

I prefer to use duct tape to lightly muffle things, but I've also heard of people dropping muffling rings into drums to rest on the reso head from the inside and I know that Travis Orbin uses moon gels underneath his toms to clean them up a bit.

I'll have to try the cotton ball method some time though, definitely sounds interesting.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:14 AM
audiotech

Also touching up the tuning of the drum will eliminate some of those unwanted sounds.

Dennis
Old 04-10-2013, 06:33 AM
Platinum Member

I've never put stuff in my toms like that. I've always used an ambassador- or emperor-weight head as my reso and most of the time it ends up that the top and bottom head are of the same pitch for maximum resonance. To eliminate some of that overtone, I've tightened the bottom head a little and the overtone would go away.

You have to understand that in a recording situation, this would be a big issue, but in a live situation, no one is going to hear that ring, and you need it to help with projection. But considering many players have been playing their toms wide open with nothing in them, I have to think head choice and tuning ability would be the cause and solution.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:14 PM

Yeah I wont lie my ability at tuning drums is still bad :(. Looked up tuns of videos and just cant grasp it. This is why i was thinking is it the BLX kit that naturally has an overtone issue. Just got my hands on a vintage premier and in the process of putting new skins top and bottoms on this week so really need to get my tuning head on to make it sound the bomb :P. once the premier is set up ill try take get some pics as well :)