DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 04-02-2013, 02:51 PM

Default Drum ID - What brand?

Hi fellow drummers.
I've just started re-finishing my old drum kit. I have never known what kind of brand my drums are from so i could need a little help here. All sorts of marks or specific features that could help me to know what kind of kit it is, is gone, because the guy i bought it from years ago wraped it in drum-wrap and didn't put back on the original markings. So all i have to go from is that the tom-holders are hexagonal. The only brand i know using this kind of hardware is Yamaha, but im not all sure that "my kit" is a Yamaha kit.

Please tell me what you guys think...;)

Old Wrap:

Old Coating:

Raw Boilers:

Hardware:

More Hardware:
Old 04-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum ID - What brand?

You kind of have a mash up of different hardware there.The lugs are certainlly Pearl or Pearl copies used in building inexpensive import drums..The Bass drum T's and claws look like vintage Ludwig,but there are aftermarket reproductions that look very similar to those also..

To guess at the origin of the shells is something different.Horizontal grain patterns usually,but not always indicate cheaper import drums.The reverse is also true of a vertical grain pattern.The shell interiors as well as some of the exteriors, look like luan(Phillipine Mahogany) which is a cheap wood used in building inexpensive drums.

Drums that use the type of hadrware you have there are sold under literally hundreds of names,and are built in an overseas Chinese or Taiwanese factory run by Pearl,but the're NOT actually Pearl drums,just cheap copies.

Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 04-03-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
You kind of have a mash up of different hardware there.The lugs are certainlly Pearl or Pearl copies used in building inexpensive import drums..The Bass drum T's and claws look like vintage Ludwig,but there are aftermarket reproductions that look very similar to those also..

To guess at the origin of the shells is something different.Horizontal grain patterns usually,but not always indicate cheaper import drums.The reverse is also true of a vertical grain pattern.The shell interiors as well as some of the exteriors, look like luan(Phillipine Mahogany) which is a cheap wood used in building inexpensive drums.

Drums that use the type of hadrware you have there are sold under literally hundreds of names,and are built in an overseas Chinese or Taiwanese factory run by Pearl,but the're NOT actually Pearl drums,just cheap copies.

Steve B
Thanx for your answer. I now know its a Pearl Maxwin and yes an inexpensive drumkit, but well know i get to know how to make it look good..:D
Old 04-11-2013, 02:25 AM

I have a 1970's Pearl kit and it has the same T handle tuning rods and claws that you have here. Even though I'm the second owner of this kit I have had it since the late 80's and I know that these were the original ones that came with the kit.