DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 04-02-2013, 06:27 AM

Default Which kit should I get?

I'm a drummer who's got a real crappy kit. It's a simple 5 piece Westbury Kit with Solar by Sabian Hats and Crash/Ride a Zildjian ZBT Crash, an LP Timbale Cowbell and a Meinl Hi-Hat Tambourine. I've completely revamped the snare with an Evans Power Center Reverse Dot batter and an Evans Hazy 300 reso, as well as Puresound Blaster wires, and I've switched out the batter heads of the toms with G2's, but there's just no hope for this kit. Everything still sounds like crap, as you'd expect. But until recently, it's what I've had to work with because I've been a little short on cash.

But now I've got a bit of money to throw around for a kit, and I've been researching. First of all, I guess I'll tell you what kind of drummer I am. My biggest influences would be the likes of Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Joey Castillo, Jon Theodore, Matt Cameron, Josh Freese, John Bonham, Keith Moon, guys like that. So I'm into the hard hitting triplet guys for the most part. But I also teach a few students at my house and they all seem to want to play Progressive Metal, which really isn't my thing. I'm more of a less is more kind of guy, I'm usually against double kick playing as I like to get speed out of one foot like all of my heroes, but I might get a double kick pedal just so I can teach my students. Also, just as a note, I'm perfectly fine buying used.

Anyways, my biggest influences use big drums and big cymbals, so what I've really been looking into is the Gretsch Catalina Club Rock. The sizes are surprisingly accurate to the sizes that most of my heroes use. As for cymbals, I'm a Zildjian guy. A friend of mine uses Zildjian's and I love 'em, as opposed to another friend of mine who uses Sabian's, which aren't really for me. Not to mention, 5 of the 8 influences I listed all use Zildjian, so I think that's what I wanna go for. What I'm thinking is simply a pair of hats, two crashes, a ride and a china. The hats I was planning on going for are the K Custom 14" Hybrids. The crashes; a K Custom 18" Dark Crash and an A Custom 18" EFX Crash. The ride; an A 21" Sweet Ride. And finally, the china; a K Custom 17" Hybrid China. Heads; I've been an Evans guy for a while, and I've never tried Remo. But most of--if not all of--my heroes use Remo, so I'd like to give them a try. If I don't like em, it's no big deal, not all that much money wasted. Anyways, for the snare, I was thinking Coated Controlled Sound with Dot over Clear Ambassador. For the toms, Clear Pinstripes over Clear Ambassadors. And then finally a Powerstroke Pro over the stock reso. I'd probably want a little more percussion, so maybe an LP Medium Pitch Jam Block and a Rhythm Tech Drum Set Tambourine. Plus the cowbell that I already have. And hardware? Gibraltar hardware comes with the kit, if I'm not mistaken, so any more hardware I need will probably also be Gibraltar. They seem trustworthy, most of my drummer friends use Gibraltar and my school uses a combination of Gibraltar and Yamaha, so I should be fine with that.

The average used price for all of this adds up to pretty much the top of my budget. Any objections or alternate suggestions to what I have here? Would really appreciate the input!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Which kit should I get?

Sounds like you've done your research and are pretty set on your path. Nothing wrong with your choices as far as I can make out.

You do seem to be fairly focused on stuff your drumming icons use though. Again, nothing wrong with that, but I would encourage you to try other stuff if you get the opportunity. Their motivations are unlikely to be the same as yours.

Good luck, & be sure to post pictures/sound files once you get sorted :)
Old 04-02-2013, 05:56 PM

Everything looks fine, but like others I would suggest trying out as many things as you can. But, judging by your cymbal selection it looks like you've tried or listened to many different ones.

The only thing I might suggest it looking for a different china if money is an issue at all. The K custom hybrid is a great cymbal, but people want a trashy sound in a china which can readily be found in much cheaper cymbals like wuhan or beginner level cymbals.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:41 PM

Your selection seems fine. The Gretsch Catalina maple is a great choice for what you like and the cymbals are all great.
Good luck!
Vic Firth, Pro mark
Old 04-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextroke2099 View Post

....The average used price for all of this adds up to pretty much the top of my budget. Any objections or alternate suggestions to what I have here? Would really appreciate the input!

It might take a while to find all that stuff used. But if you keep at it, and don't get discouraged with the time it's taking, it'll be a good kit when you get it all.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:31 PM

Thanks for all the input. I've been looking around for quite a while now, and I've tried a few kits. I've tried the Catalina Club Rock and it sounds great for my purposes. Other kits I've tried include the Catalina Maple, which I love the sound of, but I don't think I need the extra drums. Of course, I could always just not use the other drums, but I figure I payed for what I got, so I might as well use it. I've also tried a Yamaha Rydeen; a friend of mine owns one. I know those used to be beginner kits, but when you switch the heads out on those, they sound great. Mahogany shells. That kit is what made me turn towards the CCR. But they don't make them any more and they're hard to find around here. Yamaha Stage Customs I've tried at my school, but the heads are stock from 2 years ago and they're horribly tuned, so I don't really have a clue as to what they really should sound like. I've tried a Tama Superstar Hyperdrive, and while I love the build quality and sound for other kinds of music, I don't think they suit me well for my purposes. I've also tried a Pearl Target that my school has, and to be honest, apologies to all those Pearl fans out there, and I know it's only a beginner kit, but this has to be the worse kit I've heard. Mine sounds better, and that says something. It doesn't matter what it's tuned to, you cannot get a good sound out of it. The snare in particular is horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamFlamMan View Post
The only thing I might suggest it looking for a different china if money is an issue at all. The K custom hybrid is a great cymbal, but people want a trashy sound in a china which can readily be found in much cheaper cymbals like wuhan or beginner level cymbals.
I've been looking around at cymbals for quite some time; even longer than I have for drums. I've heard of Wuhan, as I believe Neil Peart used Wuhan chinas back when he was still with Zildjian, but I've never gotten to hear one in person. I'd love to try one out though, I've heard so many good things. Maybe if I see one, I'll pick one up.

Oh, and don't worry, I'll be patient if I don't see it all used yet. As long as I get a kit with hats, a ride, and a crash for now, I'll be fine waiting for the others to come. Not to mention, that'll give me more time to make more money to spend on the cymbals.

Anything else anyone want to add?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Your decision as far as drums go seems sound.But considering your selection of drum gurus,a lot of those guys played Paiste,either at one time or another of all the time.I'vs been a Zildjian guy since the 60's,but I also have a few Paistes around,and wouls love some Giant beats,and maybe some 602's and 2002's in the future.

I'm just saying,don't limit yourself to just a few cymbal makers,and checkout what else is out there.Sabian and especially Paiste are hitting new strides,and deserve a second look.

The fun is in the search for the right cymbals.Take your time.You'll be glad you did.

Steve B
Old 04-04-2013, 04:44 AM

For the most part, I'm not a fan of Sabian cymbals as compared to Zildjian. But I've never tried Paiste, as no one around here uses them, oddly enough. I know I've seen Dave Grohl use Paiste back in the QOTSA days, and Joey used to use Paiste as well. And then, of course, Josh Freese, John Bonham and Keith Moon. I'm pretty stuck on the ride I have because I'm looking for a ride that crashes really well and has a pretty good bell, and the Sweet Ride is basically everything I'm looking for. The hats and china, I just happened to like them. I wouldn't be completely opposed to getting some 15" 2002 Sound Edges, or something like that, or an 18" 2002 China. A 20" 2002 Crash could be interesting in place of the Dark Crash. As for that EFX Crash, I don't know if I would get a Paiste in place of that one. That's a big part of Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkin's sound. I know Sabian makes the Ozones, but does Paiste make any crash similar to the EFX Crash?