DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 03-17-2013, 07:35 PM

Default Clave Samba Independence Part 3

I guess I always need something crazy to work on. I have found this pretty difficult, but I'm not giving up. And I actually think it will be useful, eventually.

Right hand plays clave.
feet play samba.....I actually have been experimenting with playing the samba bass drum pattern using a double bass pedal and omitting the left foot hi hat pattern. I like how even the feet feel and how easy it is to go blazingly fast this way.
Left hand? Plays whatever you want!

I am sick of left foot clave (overdone at this point....not that it isn't very cool.....but why compete with Antonio and Horacio? They have it locked), and I think this will be more useful for my playing. The latest of my exercises to work on this are posted at the link below. I have just applied the first summary exercise of "Syncopation" to the pattern, and written it out for you, a la Chapin's "advanced techniques." It is kind of crazy to me how good these patterns sound in the latin context....Did Ted Reed play in latin bands? :-)

http://www.bangthedrumschool.com/cla...ndence-part-3/
Old 03-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Clave Samba Independence Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldiefeld View Post
I guess I always need something crazy to work on. I have found this pretty difficult, but I'm not giving up. And I actually think it will be useful, eventually.

Right hand plays clave.
feet play samba.....I actually have been experimenting with playing the samba bass drum pattern using a double bass pedal and omitting the left foot hi hat pattern. I like how even the feet feel and how easy it is to go blazingly fast this way.
Left hand? Plays whatever you want!

I am sick of left foot clave (overdone at this point....not that it isn't very cool.....but why compete with Antonio and Horacio? They have it locked), and I think this will be more useful for my playing. The latest of my exercises to work on this are posted at the link below. I have just applied the first summary exercise of "Syncopation" to the pattern, and written it out for you, a la Chapin's "advanced techniques." It is kind of crazy to me how good these patterns sound in the latin context....Did Ted Reed play in latin bands? :-)

http://www.bangthedrumschool.com/cla...ndence-part-3/
If you think left foot clave is overdone, you're crazy. I can count on one hand the number of people I know here who do left-foot clave. What's really overdone is double-pedaling - its' the most popular topic in technique, gear and general discussion. Left-foot clave has far more applicability to a broader range of genres.

Otherwise, that's a cool exercise you have laid out and I'm going to try it.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:54 PM

So wait, clavé is "overdone"? No kidding?

Show us some grooves of you smoothly doing a solo and keeping time in clavé.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Clave in the left foot got severely overemphasized relative to all the other important things to learn about Afro-Cuban drumming. For awhile it was basically the hard drummer thing du jour-- a complicated novelty.

Syncopation works really well for this kind of thing; if you play it the long exercises in the left hand along with an actual Brazilian samba recording, they work perfectly. The only thing I would caution against here is that Brazilian music is not based on clave-- shove the hit on beat 3 of the '2' measure over to the & of 3, making it the standard bossa rhythm, in we're in business.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
Clave in the left foot got severely overemphasized relative to all the other important things to learn about Afro-Cuban drumming. For awhile it was basically the hard drummer thing du jour-- a complicated novelty.

Syncopation works really well for this kind of thing; if you play it the long exercises in the left hand along with an actual Brazilian samba recording, they work perfectly. The only thing I would caution against here is that Brazilian music is not based on clave-- shove the hit on beat 3 of the '2' measure over to the & of 3, making it the standard bossa rhythm, in we're in business.
Thanks Todd. Yes, the hard drummer thing du jour....that's why I reject the left foot clave notion.

Out of curiousity....what would you think of playing the baion bass drum drummer pattern here instead of the samba?

I think that either the "1", "and of 2" and "4" pattern on the bass drum or simply the abbreviated version of the the former with the "1" omitted would sound good and more authentic as well.....

Thanks for your insights, Todd.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

I'm a lot more comfortable discussing Brazilian drumming than Afro-Cuban, but that baiao-type bass drum rhythm-- or some part of it-- is used in A-C playing on the drum set-- so using it would push the exercises over into that camp. Or changing the clave rhythm to that 1 (2)-& 4, 2 (3)-& bossa rhythm would make it more 'correctly' Brazilian.

My philosophy with the hihat is either to do the totally not-correct, jazz drummer bastardizing thing, and play it on 2 and 4, or just not sweat playing it at all-- I was in a master class with Ignacio Berroa years ago where he was asked about what to do with the hihat; he didn't say anything, and just picked up the stand and set it off to the side.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:37 AM

Ha ha.....Ignacio is great. I have been working through his book, Groovin in Clave....which is what got me started on this crazy thing in the first place.