DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:05 PM

Default Gear that I wish they built

Okay, I was gonna post this is the "gear" section, but couldn't decide which sub category (pedals,heads...etc.) to put it in, since it's a general gear question / topic. Maybe the Drum Gear section needs a "general" area (?) Anyway, I wanted to get perhaps some insight on some gear or equipment I wish I had my hands on, but am unsure they even exist. Hopefully this post could yield some discovery of these. Anyway, my number one thing I would love to have is a drum racj ( Pearl icon, Yamaha Hex, or Gibraltar....etc.), that has telescoping legs. I would be able to transport it wayy easier if I could shrink it down a bit. do any of you know of anything like this? Now, i do realize i could always make one myself, but would prefer something nicer :). Also, we need a better way to remove the connecting rod between pedals on a double pedal. I hate having to loosen two drum key pins.....
Gibraltar
Old 03-21-2013, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Gear that I wish they built

There's the "other" section in the gear catagory, maybe it should of gone there, It seems like this is a general hardware question so instantly thought it should do in the "hardware" section but I looked and it turns out there isn't one, anyway....

Telescopic legs on a rack would make it more easier to transport, but I bet there would be some loss in stability which is kinda the main issue of a rack, a rack this isn't stable isn't good. No doubt there would be a way to do it, it most likely has been done somewhere, but flaws descovered and so the telescopic rack and it didn't seem finacially beneficial to pursue that style of rack. I can think of a few problems that could arise;

Stability - The legs would get thinner as they go, depending on which way thins will cause a different stability option. Thinner at the bottom and it could topple over, thinner at the top and the gear on rack would sway a lot.

Stability (slipping) - The more stuff you add to a rack the more weight at pressure is put on the legs. If your're a guy who loads up everything on a rack the telescopic legs would simply start to slip with each hit, and cause you to re-adjust after every gig. Think of it this way, theres a lot of stands that slip with one cymbal on one telescopic stand, most racks have 2 or 4 legs, so 2 or 4 telescopic legs with a multitude of cymbals and toms on couldn't cope.

Cost - The cost of a rack is already expensive, but a telescopic one would be at a lot more for a feature that isn't really worth the extra.

Weight - Rack again are already pretty heavy, making the legs telescopic is going increase the weight.

Theres a few others too, but I think theses are the main 3(4), no doubt with modern tech we could easily over come these problems

Its a similar thing with the double pedal drive shaft, it works with no failure, and simply isn't worth re-designing without experiencing many troublesome issues (such as stability, weight, cost) on the way and the cost doesn't justify the return.

However like i said, somewhere someone/some-company has already done it and most likely selling it, proving it can be done.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

I think we're still in the dark ages with so many lugs to tension and tune a head.

And I wish there was some sort of "sound sheild" that 100% stops sound Travelling past a point.

Also don't know if there's a throne that genuinely doesn't wobble after some use.

And I hate drying off with a towel. I wish there was a full body air dryer I could stand in/in front of.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsarith View Post
Stability - The legs would get thinner as they go, depending on which way thins will cause a different stability option. Thinner at the bottom and it could topple over, thinner at the top and the gear on rack would sway a lot.

Weight - Rack again are already pretty heavy, making the legs telescopic is going increase the weight.

Theres a few others too, but I think theses are the main 3(4), no doubt with modern tech we could easily over come these problems

Its a similar thing with the double pedal drive shaft, it works with no failure, and simply isn't worth re-designing without experiencing many troublesome issues (such as stability, weight, cost) on the way and the cost doesn't justify the return.

However like i said, somewhere someone/some-company has already done it and most likely selling it, proving it can be done.
well, it would only need to be 2 sizes of thicknesses for the legs. One would go into the other. And I'm only asking that it collapses down about 6 inches. That's all I would need. As far as weight goes, I lift weights all the time and frequently bench press well over 300 pounds (not sure of the unit conversion for you all across the pond :) ), that's a lot of wieght on my bench and it has telescoping racks. and it's super sturdy... Actually, am I using the wrong term here? I guess it wouldn't be telescoping exaclty. I would need something like a weight bench. so the drum rack would simply have a few holes in the rack(legs) and I can pull a pin out, adjust it up or down, and push the pin back in....
Gibraltar
Old 03-21-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
And I wish there was some sort of "sound sheild" that 100% stops sound Travelling past a point.

And I hate drying off with a towel. I wish there was a full body air dryer I could stand in/in front of.
these would both be great. Although i guess a real big fan would work to dry off.....:)
Gibraltar
Old 03-21-2013, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

I think that there should be bed pans in the drum thrones.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

An inflatable / disposable drum set including cymbals. I might want to gig again.... Well... Maybe not, but still.....
Old 03-21-2013, 11:04 PM
Anthony Amodeo

the casual catheter for those 2 hour sets

:)
Old 03-21-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
An inflatable / disposable drum set including cymbals. I might want to gig again.... Well... Maybe not, but still.....
Ya, after every gig, I make the same joke; "anyone wanna buy a drumset?" I say this so if someone were to buy it, I waouldn't have to break it down and haul it away.....
Gibraltar
Old 03-22-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZero View Post
well, it would only need to be 2 sizes of thicknesses for the legs. One would go into the other. And I'm only asking that it collapses down about 6 inches. That's all I would need. As far as weight goes, I lift weights all the time and frequently bench press well over 300 pounds (not sure of the unit conversion for you all across the pond :) ), that's a lot of wieght on my bench and it has telescoping racks. and it's super sturdy... Actually, am I using the wrong term here? I guess it wouldn't be telescoping exaclty. I would need something like a weight bench. so the drum rack would simply have a few holes in the rack(legs) and I can pull a pin out, adjust it up or down, and push the pin back in....
I just realized that my post might have come off as rude and aimed to be negative, sorry about that. I was thinking from the points of the manufacturer rather than you're view, in you use a telescopic rack wouldn't be a bad idea, eyes of the manufacture it would, but hey, this is all wishful thinking so heres mine:

Drums/heads that either came pre-tuned or tuned them selves, and could be raised or lowered in pitch to taste, I really hate tuning.

sticks that didn't break, sticks are really expensive especially when you don't have any income :(

Although I don't really have much annoyance with either.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I wish they built a bass drum that can be adjusted anywhere from 14 to 20" deep.

I found the BEST fan for drummers. The air outlet pivots to the angle you want it on. It has 2 outlets on it and a long cord. It's quiet, small, tough, and best of all, powerful. The thing really moves some air in a concentrated stream. I paid under 60 USD shipped from Wal Mart. One of the keyboard players in my 6 piece has one. I saw it and it immediately went on the list.
Attached Images

Gomez Addams
Old 03-22-2013, 12:24 AM

drum racks made out of a clear strong plastic. totally invisible. shit i shouldnt be posting this.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post

What you need is a texas catheter. Google it
Old 03-22-2013, 12:31 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I wish there was a pill that took you from high/buzzed/drunk to straight with no hangover in no time flat.

Gomez Addams
Old 03-22-2013, 12:32 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

I wish someone build a drum gear that makes me sounds like a good drummer...

... and pigs might fly.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I wish they built a bass drum that can be adjusted anywhere from 14 to 20" deep.

Close

I found the BEST fan for drummers. The air outlet pivots to the angle you want it on. It has 2 outlets on it and a long cord. It's quiet, small, tough, and best of all, powerful. The thing really moves some air in a concentrated stream. I paid under 60 USD shipped from Wal Mart. One of the keyboard players in my 6 piece has one. I saw it and it immediately went on the list.
Gretsch presents the revolutionary Catalina Club Street Kit. The mahogany shells offer reliable tone and remarkable projection. But what makes the Street Kit unique is its revolutionary “adjustable- depth” bass drum that can be expanded an additional twoand- one-half inches in depth, from a 12” x 16” to a 14½” x 16”. When the bass drum is “opened up” the drum delivers a robust feel with a focused punch, impressive depth and controlled overtones. For a more traditional “jazzy” sound with those familiar satisfying overtones, simply close the depth of the drum using the three adjustment rods. The rods are notched for quick and precise adjustments, making the Street Kit the perfect solution for the player whose gigs vary from one style to another.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:44 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Man that was FAST! Holy Mack-a-rel!

Gomez Addams
Old 03-22-2013, 03:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Never played a long set but I woudl imagine a casual catheter would be better than a formal one. I am a laid back kind of guy so I am picking up what you are putting down.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

Anthony, Is available at your nearest pharmacy. You need a leg bag also -).

I used to make those products right here in Malaysia.
Don't get me started on that customer complaint we had from Italy from a poor guy who found cat fleas in the product -)

thx

jorn
Attached Images