DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-26-2013, 06:03 PM
Muckster's Avatar
Muckster Muckster is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: I'm right behind you.
Posts: 1,836
Default Back trouble

An MRI has confirmed i have two protruding discs at L4, L5. I see the neurologist on Monday next.

I'm quite concerned now about how long this will slow my drumming down. I know i'll have to make some changes, loose a little weight, drum throne with back rest etc...

Anyone out there been through something like this?
__________________
Max Roach did it, Elvin Jones did it, but Roy Haynes didit and didit and didit.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Mad About Drums's Avatar
Mad About Drums Mad About Drums is offline
Pollyanna's Agent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 5,538
Default Re: Back trouble

Sorry to hear about your bad news, I'm a back sufferer myself, a couple years ago I had to approach drumming and more importantly, the ergonomics of my setup, in such a way that I wouldn't feel anymore pain while playing, I've done a thread about it when I joined the forum, and I've been working even further on the importance of the body in relation to the instrument, the good news is I'm able to play the kit without feeling any pain.

I also take great care when I'm not drumming when carrying physical effort.

Here's the thread: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=82838
__________________
Keep On Drumming
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-26-2013, 06:50 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,883
Default Re: Back trouble

Would a chiropractor be able to help with this? How about an inversion table?
__________________
Great art is born out of great pain.

Gomez Addams
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Funk's Avatar
Funk Funk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: houston, tx, usa
Posts: 65
Default Re: Back trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Would a chiropractor be able to help with this? How about an inversion table?
yeah man, both are great suggestions! also, try yoga or acupuncture… yoga has done marvels for my mental health… used to have a ton of self esteem and inner dialogue issues, drumming, yoga helped in so many ways… i am more flexible, more emotionally mellow... i don't feel stiff for no reason anymore! i used to think that yoga was the lamest thing in the world… i'm a shotgun-shooting, bbq-ing, beer drinking texan (the first and last never in combination, though)… see if you're back is well enough to do beginners' yoga… not criticizing, i'm just not a medical professional… talk to your doctor to see what he/she thinks
__________________
If you only listen to the style of music that you play, you'll bring nothing new to it.
-Steve Gadd
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-26-2013, 07:13 PM
Muckster's Avatar
Muckster Muckster is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: I'm right behind you.
Posts: 1,836
Default Re: Back trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk View Post
yeah man, both are great suggestions! also, try yoga or acupuncture… yoga has done marvels for my mental health… used to have a ton of self esteem and inner dialogue issues, drumming, yoga helped in so many ways… i am more flexible, more emotionally mellow... i don't feel stiff for no reason anymore! i used to think that yoga was the lamest thing in the world… i'm a shotgun-shooting, bbq-ing, beer drinking texan (the first and last never in combination, though)… see if you're back is well enough to do beginners' yoga… not criticizing, i'm just not a medical professional… talk to your doctor to see what he/she thinks
Funk and Uncle Larry:

I definitely want to try physical therapy before any type of surgery. MY neurologist is a DO so that's going to be his first recommendation.
__________________
Max Roach did it, Elvin Jones did it, but Roy Haynes didit and didit and didit.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-26-2013, 07:20 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,883
Default Re: Back trouble

Massage, chiropractic, stretching/yoga, meditation, inversion, posture while playing, relaxation techniquesaccupuncture, accupressure, accuweather, ;) all these things combined should be plenty.

Do you play trad grip? Most trad grip guys lean unnaturally to the trad hand. Steve Gadd illustrates this. I would think leaning while doing trad grip would aggravate it.

Don't let them cut.

Curious, why a neurologist? I thought they were brain guys. This is a spine thing, right?
__________________
Great art is born out of great pain.

Gomez Addams
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-26-2013, 07:25 PM
New Tricks New Tricks is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,103
Default Re: Back trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckster View Post
Anyone out there been through something like this?
Since 1982

Life goes on, it just hurts. Sometimes a lot but generally it's bearable. I have only been completely incapacitated about 5 times since then. With rest,heat Ibuprofen and an occasional Vicoden, I can get back to normal in a couple/few days.

Sitting causes me the most pain so drumming is on the list of things that hurt but it certainly doesn't stop me.

One thing that often works for me is to work my legs (doing squats) until they burn. I think the leg muscles tighten up and it somehow pulls the back muscles and relieves some pressure.

It's free and easy so, give it a shot.

And, YES on Yoga.....if you can do that kind of thing. I know it would help me but I'm just not a yoga class kind of guy. I wish I was smart enough to suck it up and do it but I'm not.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Muckster's Avatar
Muckster Muckster is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: I'm right behind you.
Posts: 1,836
Default Re: Back trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Massage, chiropractic, stretching/yoga, meditation, inversion, posture while playing, relaxation techniquesaccupuncture, accupressure, accuweather, ;) all these things combined should be plenty.

Do you play trad grip? Most trad grip guys lean unnaturally to the trad hand. Steve Gadd illustrates this. I would think leaning while doing trad grip would aggravate it.

Don't let them cut.

Curious, why a neurologist? I thought they were brain guys. This is a spine thing, right?
Yes, I am a trad player. And yes Neuros work on the back. I wish i had a dime for every time someone tells me "don't let them cut." I lived with elbow pain for years until an Air Force ortho cut in to my elbow and fixed it. It's been 30 years now. Sometimes surgery is the right thing. But i don't want to rush that option.
__________________
Max Roach did it, Elvin Jones did it, but Roy Haynes didit and didit and didit.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com