DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 05-13-2013, 03:52 AM

Default Jazz excersises?

Hello,
Like I have said in my previous posts, I am a beginning drummer. I play a tad bit of rock. I have a lot of interest in jazz and playing swing. It is very interesting and it seems incredibly fun. I am just beginning, and I can only play the ride pattern with the foot hi-hats on 1 and 3. But I don't know where to go from there. I can't play independently with the snare or the bass yet, and I don't really know how to start getting to that point. I have the books: Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials 1.0, The Art of Bop Drumming, and Syncopation. But I don't really know how to start working the exercises. So my questions are:

1. How do I start working these?

2. Should I learn traditional grip to play with jazz?

Thanks guys.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:09 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Jazz excersises?

Hi-hat should be on 2 & 4.

Can you read rhythms by themselves.

If yes,

Pick one exercise e.g. first Syncopation page and play it on the snare with the left hand while keeping the ostinato going. If it's hard work on one bar or one line at a time. Just play with it until it's comfortable and feels good. If it's to hard doing it all at once start with just the hands first, then maybe left hand + hi-hat or whatever.

To start with you can try with just quarters on the iride cymbal.

You can also do solo exercises where you play the rhythms with your hands over the foot ostinato.

Play-a-longs are great.You can spend hours just making the ride pattern feel good on it's own.

When you can do this, repeat with the bass drum.

You can play jazz without playing trad grip, but if you're motivated to check it out , to me anyway it feels more natural. Get some help from a teacher and save some headaches.

Offcourse, if you wanna play jazz, you gotta listen to jazz.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:27 AM

Default Re: Jazz excersises?

some other great books I've learned a lot from:

A lot of drummers want to learn traditional grip because it looks cool - that's kind of why I did, but I'm really happy that I can play both now.