Expanding the e-kit--but with what?

gradier

As an inexperienced drummer, I often wonder as I am "playing," what would I do if I expanded the kit (Roland TD-11K) with the one expansion option? Would I get a fourth dual-zone tom or a dual-zone cymbal? Should I even bother (actually I like the idea so why not?)? Used ones at my local musical store are pretty cheap (e.g. dual-zone PD-8 pad). Any thoughts on a one-trigger expansion?

Thanks

Gradier

I'd vote for a cymbal! You can never have too many! That said, I have just four cymbals :/

- Reggae Mangle

I added both a 4th tom and 4th cymbal to my TD-9. Then I decided I don't need 4 toms, I just like 1 rack tom and 2 floor toms, so I put the 2nd rack tom to the left of my hi-hat as a 2nd snare most of the time. But I would definitely make better use out of a 5th cymbal, so sometime soon I'll sell the extra PD-85 and buy another cymbal. I guess it's just up to personal preference. All the time I find myself wishing I had another cymbal, so that's what I'd get, but you might be different. Also, I don't know how cheap they sell PD-8's at your music store, but I know you can get them for way cheap on eBay, so I'd check there first if you haven't already.

Thanks for the advice. I can get a used dual-zone PD-8 for $55 Cdn (with 90-day warranty and free returns). The problem with ebay is that, in Canada at least, there is usually a shipping charge from the U.S. of about $30, so items are not usually cheap enough to bother with.

Gradier

Back