DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 05-13-2014, 09:17 PM
Gold Member

Default Hybrid kits. Anyone play one?

Since I've been using an E kit, I have experienced all the typical issues from not quite right cymbals to the bias in the drumming/music crowd.

They have always offered more pros than cons for me so I'm standing by them. In order to combat the aesthetics, I simply placed a dummy kick in front of the kit so no one could look up my skirt

To further address this issue, I have converted an A kit to E and now I have questions. I will eventually figure it out but I thought I'd throw it out here in case anyone has been through it.

When I first went to an E kit, I felt the cymbal (and HH) sounds were inadequate. Now that I have the hybrid, I find I'm not loving the A cymbals like I should.

Is it because they are too loud? Is it because I am hearing them a mili second before I hear my E drums thru the PA across the room? Is it simply because I got accustomed to the E cymbals? Is it because E cymbals aren't really that bad and I just bought into popular opinion?

I haven't yet played them with my band yet so maybe they will blend into the mix. All I know is, with an A crash, you have to hit it hard and hard = loud. With the E's, you can get the full crash sound at a lower volume. And, I do have the thinnest crashes I could find. Maybe some makes extra super thins?

I don't play much ride cymbal so that is of little importance to me. I'm strictly a HH and crash kind of guy.

Any input will be appreciated
Old 05-13-2014, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Hybrid kits. Anyone play one?

I play a Hybrid. But Not the way you do. I play acoustics with a RT10 on the kick. And some pads thru out the kit along with my SX. So Im basically an acoustic drummer, running electronics. I do really want to go full electric someday, but they're just not there for me yet. Mostly the cymbals.

I love my set up now.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:51 AM

Just curious: Are you using a module for sounds and if so, which one (Roland TD20, Yamaha DTX500. etc.) or are you using pc-based VST and if so, which one (Superior, Addictive, etc.)?
Old 05-14-2014, 12:53 AM
Gold Member

I play an A2E for the simple reason that I wanted the quietness of an E-kit with the aesthetics of an A-kit.
I'm not sure why you would go through the trouble of a conversion just to throw away the quietness factor by playing it with real cymbals??
As you mentioned, I would find it really off-putting to be forced to play with essentially 2 different types of kits at the same time (ie having to apply heavier strikes on the cymbals than the drums).
Maybe I'm used to the relative "fakeness" of e-cymbal sounds but I would rather play on rubber cymbals than have to adjust my playing to accommodate real cymbals (just my opinion).
Old 05-14-2014, 01:27 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobrush View Post
Just curious: Are you using a module for sounds and if so, which one (Roland TD20, Yamaha DTX500. etc.) or are you using pc-based VST and if so, which one (Superior, Addictive, etc.)?

TD 20

Quote:
I'm not sure why you would go through the trouble of a conversion just to throw away the quietness factor by playing it with real cymbals??
1) Peer pressure
2) In my mind, the A cymbals should sound better because..... they are real :)

Quote:
Maybe I'm used to the relative "fakeness" of e-cymbal sounds but I would rather play on rubber cymbals than have to adjust my playing to accommodate real cymbals .
That is where I'm at but I will continue to explore.

Thanks!!
Old 05-14-2014, 03:16 PM
Silver Member

Check out the Zildjian Gen-16 cymbals. Could be what you need. They're acoustically quieter than regular cymbals, but the right volume to go with e-drums. And they're electronic to boot. You should look into the ones with the newer designed Direct Source pickups.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggae_Mangle View Post
Check out the Zildjian Gen-16 cymbals. Could be what you need. They're acoustically quieter than regular cymbals, but the right volume to go with e-drums. And they're electronic to boot. You should look into the ones with the newer designed Direct Source pickups.
I agree I use the Gen16 cymbals with my hybrid kit didn't like the DSP that came with it so I just use the as acoustic cymbals mix very well with edrums.