DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Playing

Your Playing Show us Your Playing

Old 03-05-2013, 06:52 AM
Casper "DrPowerStroke" Paludan Casper "DrPowerStroke" Paludan is offline
Pioneer Member

Default My latest video, take a look

Hello everybody,
It has been a while since I was here but it is good to be back among familiar faces, or avatars :-)

I recorded thi recently and would like to hear what you all think of it. It is from Igoe's amazing GE 2.0 which I am sure I will be practicing from the day I fall off the drum stool...
http://youtu.be/XCf3x1w2Qnw

Cheers,
Casper

Last edited by Casper "DrPowerStroke" Paludan; 03-05-2013 at 06:54 AM. Reason: My hamster ate the link...
Old 03-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: My latest video, take a look

I like your playing, maybe the groove could be little more tight, im talking about the sound, because rythmicali its perfect..

btw the song is really anoing :D
Old 03-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

I think you did a very good job. Didn't notice any flaws. Also didn't find the song annoying - it leaves plenty of space for nice drum playing (or a lack thereof, depending on the player).

The only thing I didn't care about was that mask... I'm just not a masquerade guy, period. ;-)
Old 03-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Silver Member

Great drumming, man! The mask made me uncomfortable though...
Old 03-07-2013, 04:52 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeplyTuna View Post
Great drumming, man! The mask made me uncomfortable though...
Tuna,
Thanks for the props, I really appreciate it....really!
Regarding the mask, I was tired of looking at the same old, same old bald face so I came up with this. I want to experiment with visual aids to my playing.

There is a drummer whose name escapes me, who decorates his kit with fresh flowers.

Anyway, thanks so much for watching and I hope you will watch the next one as well.

Casper
Old 03-07-2013, 04:54 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
I think you did a very good job. Didn't notice any flaws. Also didn't find the song annoying - it leaves plenty of space for nice drum playing (or a lack thereof, depending on the player).

The only thing I didn't care about was that mask... I'm just not a masquerade guy, period. ;-)
I got it Arky, thanks so much for watching I appreciate it. And it is interesting that you and CT both didn't like the mask.

Both, you should see what I look like WITHOUT IT!!! HA...

Anyway, I will keep working on my playing as well as a look that is fun to watch...

Thanks again,
Casper
Old 03-07-2013, 04:58 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeq View Post
I like your playing, maybe the groove could be little more tight, im talking about the sound, because rythmicali its perfect..

btw the song is really anoing :D
Radeq,Thanks for your message and thanks for watching.
I would like to hear if you have any ideas about how to make the sound tighter, I presume you are talking about the recording? whatever it is, please share. Thanks!

I also looked at your video from your thread and you play like a mofo so good job, very inspired by your amazing technique and expressivity, great show with two drummers on stage.

I actually like this song a lot but I guess Tommy can't please everyone haha.

Casper
Old 03-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Gold Member

thanks, the video is pretty old though, but thankgz :D

about the sound - I dont know if the problem is the mixing, or the way you hit the drums...if it is the first case, unfortunately I cant help you with that one.... if it is the second case, I think I can help there...or I ll rather say - what helped me....just playing one basic simple groove (kick on the first, snare on the third), moderate tempo and just listening and working on the sound...is the kick tight enough? the snare? is it the sound I want? I recorded my self a lot (I still do) so I could heat if the groove is tight enough...every single hit... I hope I could explain it well, and that you understand what I mean... take care

radeq
Old 03-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Silver Member

That was pretty cool. Very fluid. It looks like you hold your sticks close to the end, using mostly wrist strokes. I practice holding my sticks farther up, and using more fingers, on the pad. But when I sit down and really play, I always end up holding them at the ends. Good playing!
Old 03-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeq View Post
thanks, the video is pretty old though, but thankgz :D

about the sound - I dont know if the problem is the mixing, or the way you hit the drums...if it is the first case, unfortunately I cant help you with that one.... if it is the second case, I think I can help there...or I ll rather say - what helped me....just playing one basic simple groove (kick on the first, snare on the third), moderate tempo and just listening and working on the sound...is the kick tight enough? the snare? is it the sound I want? I recorded my self a lot (I still do) so I could heat if the groove is tight enough...every single hit... I hope I could explain it well, and that you understand what I mean... take care

radeq
Hi Radeq,
Thanks for your message,
It is interesting that while I have examined my own playing at length, I have never tuned my drums or changed my playing specifically to accommodate the recording situation.

I read an article by someone who had the opportunity to play Steve Gadd's kit on stage, all set up for the evening's concert. This was in a big hall. He noticed how he didn't like the sound of the drums at all. They sounded dead, out of tune, and felt really weird.

But that night, those same drums sounded stellar coming out of the speakers and pouring onto the crowd. So eventhough this was a live rather than a studio situation, I think it speaks to the same thing: Steve, and his tech Yard Gavililovic, know that the sound coming out through the speakers is not the same that would meet the ears as we sit behind the kit. I think this is a great area of study and I will start to attack it, today :-)

Best regards,
Casper
Old 03-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2 View Post
That was pretty cool. Very fluid. It looks like you hold your sticks close to the end, using mostly wrist strokes. I practice holding my sticks farther up, and using more fingers, on the pad. But when I sit down and really play, I always end up holding them at the ends. Good playing!
Thanks so much Lefty, I relly appreciate it.
Very true about the wrist versus fingers. I had never thought about this although I always knew I am a wrist fan. I tend to practice very delicate things on the pad or in the studio, but when I actually play, it is more about power, and simpler ideas prevail.

Thanks fo ryour kind words. I am so glad I posted this video and that you all looked at it. I have learned so much already!!

Thanks everybody!! Don't hold back...

Casper