DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 08-28-2013, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Quick Torque Cam & Speed Cobra

http://forum.tama.com/yaf_postst1221...ing-broke.aspx

http://www.mikedolbear.com/forum/top...OPIC_ID=103248

Hi Guys,

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to bash the Speed Cobra. I ordered one and am looking forward to receiving it. I'm sure lots of guys have had no problems but I've seen this on a few different sites. It's probably a good idea to have a couple of backup springs if you're gigging with it. I plan on it.

Last edited by iamjohn; 08-31-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjohn View Post
http://forum.tama.com/yaf_postst1221...ing-broke.aspx

http://www.mikedolbear.com/forum/top...OPIC_ID=103248

Hi Guys,

Don't get me wrong. I'm not try to bash the Speed Cobra. I ordered one and am looking forward to receiving it. I'm sure lots of guys have had no problems but I've seen this on a few different sites. It's probably a good idea to have a couple of backup spring if you're gigging with it. I plan on it.
I don't think anyone took it that way. If this is an issue, I appreciate you spreading this information.

It may have something to do with how the pedals are set, and what the spring tensions are (clearly they won't all break).
Old 08-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Now that it's mentioned, I could see that happening. Stock springs are pretty thin, and the connection is a small, metal to metal contact, rubbing together.

I've used DW HEAVY version springs for the last 10-12 years, and haven't any issues with them at all. They are thicker than regular springs, but at less tension they feel about the same.
One pedal with a QTC has a HEAVY spring, and the other one has a regular DW spring. There's a tiny bit of difference, if you pay attention--but not really noticeable after 10 seconds of playing.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Silver Member

I did hear about it, but I'm pretty sure it was an exception rather than the rule. A clear break on most of the springs at the hook. Tama jumped on it right away and I haven't heard about any of that since.

A lot of people talk about carrying an extra set of springs. I wonder what I would do with my Dominators' compression spring technology, lol.

Probably have to carry around a replacement pedal, now that I think about it :shudder:
Old 08-29-2013, 07:55 AM

From what I know, Tama's Super Spring uses a more hardened, brittle alloy. You can tell it is more responsive on the end of down-stroke of the pedal. I had no issues for 5 months until a week after installed the QTCs.

Like I said, the QTCs do make a difference and I am holding on to them for their value. That being said, they just aren't for the Speed Cobras. I would experiment using a regular IC spring with them installed, but I'm getting good response with the stock Speed Cobra components with the Cobra Coil, Speedo Ring, and Super Spring.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:54 PM

Got the QTC a couple of days ago and put it on an old Yamaha pedal I have. It was an immediate improvement.

Got the Speed Cobra today and tried the pedal without the QTC and loved it. Perfect for my big foot and smooth as silk. Put the QTC on and couldn't dial it in. Fooled with it for about an hour and just couldn't get it right. I took the QTC off and got the pedal right back where I wanted it. I haven't given up on marrying these two but it's interesting that it's taking a bit to get it right.

Just thought I'd share.