DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-17-2014, 01:10 AM
Platinum Member

Default Pulled the trigger on a new PA

Thanks for all the advice about powered speakers and subwoofers....I just got done pulling the trigger on my new PA for the drumkit - that will also double as a regular PA should I need that too.

I picked up a Mackie 1604VLZ mixing console with an older used Alesis NanoVerb as my effects unit and have paired these up with a Seismic Audio 15" powered subwoofer (about 300W, I think), and two Peavey PVi10 10" loudspeakers to my smaller satellite speakers. Basically what I've done is take your typical homeowner theater system and gone big.

After discussion, I decided I needed the subwoofer to really give a bottom-end presence to my kit, not necessarily to be painfully loud. Drums are semi-non-directional instruments, and if I have a system that lets the kit eminate in a cardioid pattern, that's better than having two main speakers directing the sound away from me.

I have enough Shure SM57s to mic the all the drums (even got those Shure drum rim mounts for the mics), and a Shure Beta 91a to sit inside the bass drum. I'm also using an AKG SE300b condenser mic as an overhead, and an Audio Technica PRO37 condenser for my hi-hats.

I'm looking forward to using this system, it being my first subwoofer-type PA ever. It should be cool.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:17 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Pulled the trigger on a new PA

What frequency do you plan on crossing these? I took a quick look at the PVi10 and I assume the "Baby Tremor" sub. It looks like somewhere around 150 Hz would work. With a 10" + horn sharing 50 watts and a 300 watt sub I'd tend to go a little higher but the sub seems to roll off above 110 Hz or so. The PVi10s are 10 dB down at 85 Hz. I don't think Seismic could've made the response plot any worse short of not having anything (like many manufacturers). You can't even read the the SPL axis. Looks like 10 dB per major division but can't be sure. Some experimenting will probably be in order.

Best of luck with it and please report back!
Old 06-17-2014, 02:29 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pulled the trigger on a new PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFiore View Post
What frequency do you plan on crossing these? I took a quick look at the PVi10 and I assume the "Baby Tremor" sub. It looks like somewhere around 150 Hz would work. With a 10" + horn sharing 50 watts and a 300 watt sub I'd tend to go a little higher but the sub seems to roll off above 110 Hz or so. The PVi10s are 10 dB down at 85 Hz. I don't think Seismic could've made the response plot any worse short of not having anything (like many manufacturers). You can't even read the the SPL axis. Looks like 10 dB per major division but can't be sure. Some experimenting will probably be in order.

Best of luck with it and please report back!
Yes, it's that Baby Tremor. When I get it pieced together I'll do a real-world "how it sounds" test. This set-up also falls within the given budget range so as much as I would've preferred outstanding components, there's only a finite amount of money. I'll keep you posted!

BTW - I think there's a switch that allows crossover at 200Hz? I'll have to read the literature. It's set at one place with the switch allowing one chaNge.