DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

Default Tama Stagemaster hardware?

I am looking to get a hihat for my cocktail set and I've located one on Craigslist locally. It appears to be an older Tama Stagemaster, single braced and light duty.

That's actually what I am looking for, something lighter, and it extends high enough to play standing. But I've always used beefier hardware and I know Stagemaster is Tama's lower-end line.

Has anyone used a Stagemaster hat and what did you think of it? Did the saddle have a tilt adjustment? Could you adjust spring tension? How easy was it to break down and set up?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Tama Stagemaster hardware?

This was the weirdest freaking thing in my life.

I bought a new Tama Stagemaster boom stand today, and I thought "maybe I should make a thread about it because it's so good and call the thread Tama Stagemaster hardware and ask for peoples opinions and share my experiences and yada yada yada yada" because I've never seen a thread about Tama hardware on DW before.

And just that SECOND I logged in to DW and your thread was on the first page. WHAT?

....now I've vented. Sorry for hijacking your thread...

EDIT: Now I realize that I have and use the exact hihat stand you're talking about (Stagemaster single braced). It's great, it's light but yet sturdy, although not very adjustable (you can't adjust spring tension and such, just the basic settings like the height). I'm not bothered by that though, I still think it's great, but if you're faddish about hihat stands, maybe the stand is not for you.

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60

Last edited by Swexx; 03-01-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Administrator

So how do you like it??
Old 03-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swexx View Post
This was the weirdest freaking thing in my life.

I bought a new Tama Stagemaster boom stand today, and I thought "maybe I should make a thread about it because it's so good and call the thread Tama Stagemaster hardware and ask for peoples opinions and share my experiences and yada yada yada yada" because I've never seen a thread about Tama hardware on DW before.

And just that SECOND I logged in to DW and your thread was on the first page. CRAZY OR WHAT?

....now I've vented. Sorry for hijacking your thread...

EDIT: Now I realize that I have and use the exact hihat stand you're talking about (Stagemaster single braced). It's great, it's light but yet sturdy, although not very adjustable (you can't adjust spring tension and such, just the basic settings like the height). I'm not bothered by that though, I still think it's great, but if you're faddish about hihat stands, maybe the stand is not for you.
Freaky! That's what makes this such a good board.

Thanks for your impressions. I was hoping it would have a spring tension adjustment but it is a lower-end item so I'm not surprised. If the spring it too tight I suppose I could snip it down a bit. Is the stand very hard to disassemble to get at the spring?

Last edited by Deathmetalconga; 03-01-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:31 PM

The stand I bought today was a single braced boom stand. It features incredibly clever design, it's sturdy and can easily be adjusted (I highly recommend it!)

The hihat stand, I've used and loved for like five or six years (which says something about the durability - it might as well have been bought yesterday, it's in such good shape!)
It's robust and reliable, yet simple and light weight. But as I said, you can't adjust things like tension or angles, you can only adjust the spread of the legs and the height of the stand. So if you're strict with hi hat stands, maybe the Tama isn't for you. But I for one love the stand!

EDIT: I think the default spring tension is good, I probably wouldn't adjust it if I had the option to. I haven't tried disassembling it, but I don't think it's that hard....
EDIT2: There are some different screws and holes down there, I definately think you're able to disassemble some parts and get to the spring. (I went down and looked)

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60
Old 03-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swexx View Post
The stand I bought today was a single braced boom stand. It features incredibly clever design, it's sturdy and can easily be adjusted (I highly recommend it!)

The hihat stand, I've used and loved for like five or six years (which says something about the durability - it might as well have been bought yesterday, it's in such good shape!)
It's robust and reliable, yet simple and light weight. But as I said, you can't adjust things like tension or angles, you can only adjust the spread of the legs and the height of the stand. So if you're strict with hi hat stands, maybe the Tama isn't for you. But I for one love the stand!

EDIT: I think the default spring tension is good, I probably wouldn't adjust it if I had the option to. I haven't tried disassembling it, but I don't think it's that hard....
EDIT2: There are some different screws and holes down there, I definately think you're able to disassemble some parts and get to the spring. (I went down and looked)
Wow, this is very helpful, thanks!