DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 02-28-2013, 11:42 PM
Senior Consultant

Default Where the slave beater strikes...

Some double pedals, such as the Pearls, are designed so that the primary and the slave beater both strike off-center.

Others, such as Axis, are designed so that the primary strikes dead center and only the slave is offset.

Has anyone ever found out whether this has any effect on the sound? Does the off-center method produce a more even sound and volume than the primary-center method? Or is it all the same at speed?

I am assuming here that the drummer is NOT triggering. (and not going overboard on compression)

Studio engineers, drum builders, gear heads, I would love to hear what you've found.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Where the slave beater strikes...

Jeff, I'm no expert on pedals, but I can answer your question regarding striking position. Striking the very center of the head delivers the cleanest fundamental note. The further you move away from center, the more you involve higher tones. On bass drums, you only need to move a small distance from center to get a distinctly different sound & response from the drum. Sometimes, moving away from center is used to offer benefit. For example, if you're a player who buries the beater, moving off center (in any direction) will offer a touch more head sustain.

I hope this helps,

Andy.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:18 AM
Silver Member

I've got speed cobras. They are adjustable in this respect, and I've struggled with trying to get identical sound from each beater. I think Andy's right.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:45 AM

I've noticed a slightly different sound from the main pedal to the slave. By the way I use DW 5000 double pedals. But when you're playing fast doubles or using it mainly as accents as I do, I don't often play fast doubles only when I need to, the sound difference is so settle you don't even notice it, but I have noticed a slightly different sound when playing the slave alone being that it is offset.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:01 AM

I have Trick Pro-1Vs. The main beater is in the center, the slave is off to the left a bit. I actually like it, because when playing fast double bass it provides distinction between the hits
Old 03-08-2013, 07:00 PM

If it really matters, get a bass drum lift so that both beaters are offset with the same distance from center.

p.s. you'll never hear the difference with modern pedals, but if the off-chance you're extra OCD and don't want a lift, put a small mylar patch only on the slave beating spot to cancel out some of the harmonics.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Just to let you know, AXIS designed SONIC HAMMER beaters can be positioned so both the primary and slave hit off center.

99.68% of drummers do not have their bass drum beater hitting dead center due to the ratios produced by implied industry standards of pedal main shaft height- around 7.25" and beater length-around 8"

Half (center) of a 22" head is 11" The 99.999999% of us have our beaters extended above 4"

I gigged an 18x18 kick with a riser for almost a year, used that same riser on my 22" just b/c I had it. I can tell you hitting the 22" dead center 'did not' produce the most desirable sound.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Silver Member

I think the Taye Metalworks pedals have a really interesting feature that allows you to change the position where the beater is hitting on the drum head, that is, moving it sideways, not just back and forth.

- Reggae Mangle