Double Pedals that can be used as singles - compiling a list?

wildbill

Platinum Member
Can we compile a list?

The ones I have are a real old Yamaha - don't even know the number/name, and a Yamaha 9315 which can be used as a double or two singles.

What are some other ones?

Edit: wow - that was a quick change of the thread title. Someone's got eyes like a hawk - LOL It does make more sense that way though - thanks.

The Trick pedals are singles, the difference being that the "left" pedal has a stub for the connecting rod.

Bermuda

Yamaha 9500D can be used as two singles.

Are you sure about that? Do you own one, or have you used it like that? I was considering it, but only have seen pictures of it.
A couple things made me think you might not be able to use it that way: usually on Yamaha's, there's a holder for a beater on the slave pedal. Also, from looking at the picture, it doesn't look like there's a way to put the pedal on, or tighten it on the hoop.
Be nice though, if it can be used as two single:

8363_12073_1.jpg

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/drums/hardware/footpedals/dfp9500d/?mode=model

Are you sure about that?

http://i.imgur.com/E108P2l.jpeg

As you can see the baseplates are pretty much identical but the slave has no holes drilled for the hoop clamp, and obviously that part is not included, same goes for the rubber piece at which the hoop rests. I don't have mine on the main pedal because I've built a riser for the bassdrum to let the beater strike my 22" bassdrum dead center. I'm currently only using the single pedal, should there be any confusion as to why the slave footboard is just lying there. :)

So, in order to for this to work you'd have to find another hoop clamp part and another rubber piece, drill some holes, move the beater mounting piece, and move the spring obviously. The hard part is drilling threads to mount the piece shown in this picture: http://i.imgur.com/359u4O1.jpeg

To sum up, these pedals can be used as singles, but you may want to look elsewhere. :)

Last edited:
My old Pearl P-100 has the same arrangement as the Yamaha. Everything is there in terms of the casting but the parts to attach the hoop clamp are missing from the slave pedal.

It's a very common manufacturing method. The basic tooling for the single model is used for the slave pedal and a separate and new tooling is made for the master. This saves the company a lot of money for manufacturing (only requiring two sets of tooling for both single and double pedals, rather than three in total). In theory it makes it easier to convert most double pedals to singles but some modification is required, as Sjorgras points out.

To convert my slave pedal to a single (not that I use my double any more) would require a hoop clamp and to drill some holes, as well as moving a few fixtures over from the master. It's not a huge amount of work but buying a separate hoop clamp would be difficult and relatively expensive.

OK - thanks. I was thinking more along the lines of the pedals like I have. You just take the drive shaft off, move a beater over to the slave side and you can just hook it right up and it's good to go.

OK - thanks. I was thinking more along the lines of the pedals like I have. You just take the drive shaft off, move a beater over to the slave side and you can just hook it right up and it's good to go.

Well that would be the end result with any pedal similar to the ones me and BFY have mentioned, you wouldn't have to drill holes every time.. duh. :)

If you're willing to make these small adjustments your range of choice in pedals will be greatly increased.

Well that would be the end result with any pedal similar to the ones me and BFY have mentioned, you wouldn't have to drill holes every time.. duh. :)

If you're willing to make these small adjustments your range of choice in pedals will be greatly increased.

Ya - once it's done, you could use it without going through the hassle every time.

Just to be clear though, I was looking for double pedals that can be as two singles without doing any modifications to them.

dw9000 i think
Nope, at least the pre 2012 model. I looked at pictures of the new 9000, and I don't think it can either.

I think its also important to know if the pedals can do it out of the box, or if you need any more accessories to make it happen.

Demon Drives can go singles out of the box.

^^ Beat me to it! For the record, both the Iron Cobras (the older ones I think) and the Pearl Eliminators can be converted into two singles, but you'll need to buy spare parts. Not so easy to take the parts on and off over and over again though, so be wise to your needs!

- Reggae Mangle

Axis X pedals can be converted from a set of doubles into 2 singles. So can, believe it or not, 90's series Gibraltar Rock pedals. It takes some configuring, but you can definietly do it.

Back