DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 03-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Silver Member

Default Mixing and matching pedals - Associated problems

Hell-o,
So I managed to get my seating and placement issues on an acoustic drumkit sorted out... sort of.

Has anyone else run into the problem of mixing and matching a longboard pedal with a shortboard pedal? I was having some major issues with getting the no-brand hi-hat pedal and stand at the jampad I was playing at to sit next to my Dominators. It's got a conventional three-leg set-up, no swivel either.

Thing is, this is the sort of gear I could expect if I played a gig anywhere in this old burg, so I need to learn how to work with it. Out here, the rule is pretty much club provides kit, since they don't pay well enough to cover the cost of transportation up and down, I guess.

I looked into the threads on hi-hat placement, but I have a feeling that the longboard/shortboard collision causes its own share of problems. If I position the hi-hat just a bit behind the pedal, the footboard barely clears the start of the longboards. I know Axis makes longboard stands and Trick Drums had a design up their sleeves... But I'm not endorsed, not pro and so I'm looking at a cheapie fix.

Sorry I don't have any pictures. I should have taken some at the jam. Will do so this weekend, but i'm hoping for a workaround of some kind. I'm not comfortable with the idea of the hi-hat being on the left, primarily because I can't get a two-leg design, but also because it would have to be angled in a strange way.

In the end, I had the hi-hat at 8 or 9 o'clock and the hats clamped together that jam because I couldn't figure out what to do. Another option I'm toying with is not using the hat as a conventional hat altogether. Something along the lines of Keith Moon in a speed metal context.

- Reggae Mangle