DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 02-17-2015, 10:40 PM

Default Smoothest single kick pedal

So as i have a double kick that i am really happy with, i was just wondering what you guys think is the smoothest single kick out there.

Also a durable one that responds quickly.

long board or short, it doesn't matter.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:42 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Smoothest single kick pedal

For smooth, and not that I know them all, but I think I won't be alone in naming the DW 9000.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:36 AM

I enjoy the Tama 200 Iron Cobra. To me, its silky smooth. Its at a nice price point too. If you are looking for a cheaper option.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:53 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I think all pedals are potentially smooth, but pedals can have a different feel based on how the cam is set-up, whether it's a chain, strap or direct linkage, and the length of the footboard. And, personal preferences are very subjective. I haven't come across any inherently bad pedals out there, try some and see what you like!

My choice for pedal is the Taye Metalworks, and I also like the newish Ludwig Atlas pedals (which come out of the box feeling exactly like my Tayes after I've tweaked them!)

But I used DW 5000 and 9000 pedals for many years, and they're also very smooth and responsive.

Bermuda
Old 02-18-2015, 01:05 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I prefer the 5000 (with the foot plate) to the 9000, but the 9000 is smoother IMO. The 5000 is not too heavy, with just the right feel for me. Iron Cobras I could never get on with, they felt too heavy.

But everybody perceives things differently, so try a few out at a big box. That's one thing you can play with without much hassle, adjusting the pedals they have there. Bring a drum key and some allen wrenches. Set up a throne and go down the line. They're all pretty smooth. Some will just feel better than others to you.

Foot pedals are probably the thing I think about the least with drums. I spend like 0% of my time fiddling with my DW pedals. I have a 2000, a 3000, a 5000, and a 9000. They all work and feel great right out of the box.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:10 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I think all pedals are potentially smooth, but pedals can have a different feel based on how the cam is set-up, whether it's a chain, strap or direct linkage, and the length of the footboard. And, personal preferences are very subjective. I haven't come across any inherently bad pedals out there, try some and see what you like!

My choice for pedal is the Taye Metalworks, and I also like the newish Ludwig Atlas pedals (which come out of the box feeling exactly like my Tayes after I've tweaked them!)

But I used DW 5000 and 9000 pedals for many years, and they're also very smooth and responsive.

Bermuda
+1 on everything Jon said. I've played the DW 5000 and 9000 pedals the last 25 years with much success. Recently though, I have fallen in love with the Perfect Balance pedal. I don't know if it's because its a strap or direct drive, but it just feels wonderful under foot.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 02-18-2015, 01:16 AM

I've used a DW 5000 and it was very smooth. My top pick for the smoothest pedal would be the Pearl Belt-drive powershifter eliminator. It is incredibly smooth and it just feels great all around. DW 3000 and Tama Iron Cobra 600 are great also.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:14 AM
Silver Member

I've played most pedals out there and I love my DW5000, and the Pearl Demonator Direct, as well as the Trick Pro-1v, Tama's Iron Cobra....old Camcos...all of them are pretty smooth. I just wished I played whatever pedal as good as some of my heroes, though ;)
Old 02-18-2015, 12:53 PM

I have an ancient DW 5000 strap drive pedal with a yamaha foot plate that I've used for years, haven't found anything that comes close considering I paid 15 for it in 2005.

Ye olde Speedkings are also pretty damn good if they're maintained well. I'm surprised Ludwig haven't revamped it considering Pearl have the demondrive and DW have brought the machined direct drive out.

My 5000 is easier to maintain, WD40 keeps it fast and loose, plus it travels well.

Played about with a Duallist for a while, cool idea, pedal is really smooth but by god it's annoying if something goes wrong on it!
Old 02-18-2015, 02:43 PM

I have an Iron Cobra double kick and i like it.

but i will check out the DWs.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

I've got a DW9000 single, and think it's very smooth. But it's also a bit heavy feeling.
Most pedals can be pretty smooth if properly set up and maintained.

Light and heavy are contrasts. I suppose the contrast to smooth would be sticky or something like that.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:20 PM

Until recently, I'd been playing an Iron Cobra double pedal for a few years, and liked it. I've also been using a single DW5000 pedal at a rehearsal studio for about a year and a half, and like it a lot. But a few months ago I picked up a Yamaha 9500D direct drive single pedal on sale, and I'm really delighted with it -- smooth, fast, light, and all that stuff, besides being affordable (street prices seem to be around $160-$200 new). I should mention that I'm mostly a heel-down player, and this thing stays with my foot even during very small, quick motions.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motleyh View Post
Until recently, I'd been playing an Iron Cobra double pedal for a few years, and liked it. I've also been using a single DW5000 pedal at a rehearsal studio for about a year and a half, and like it a lot. But a few months ago I picked up a Yamaha 9500D direct drive single pedal on sale, and I'm really delighted with it -- smooth, fast, light, and all that stuff, besides being affordable (street prices seem to be around $160-$200 new). I should mention that I'm mostly a heel-down player, and this thing stays with my foot even during very small, quick motions.
I've got a DW9000, but my Yamaha's are all I use. I've got a couple 9500D singles, and also the double pedal version of that - the DFP9500d.
I hope they never change them too much.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:02 PM

Axis A21 Laser
Paiste cymbals
Old 02-18-2015, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Jojo Mayer's anybody?
Old 02-18-2015, 10:30 PM

I have heard good things about Axis.

Never tried them though
Old 02-19-2015, 05:04 AM
Silver Member

Not necessarily 'new' on the block (since around '06) but, of all the pedals I have owned in 50 years the Drumnetics 3XF is just the bomb. I tried the 9000 and it's a really nice expansion spring pedal but, set up at the drums the Drumnetics just takes the prize for smoothness, speed, articulation and power for me.

I agree with Bermuda, though. All of the pedals made today are smooth. It's whatever resistance system, pedal board linkage and throw style feel best for you.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:28 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
Jojo Mayer's anybody?
See post #6 on Perfect Balance pedal. ;-)

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 02-19-2015, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
See post #6 on Perfect Balance pedal. ;-)
My bad :)!
Old 02-19-2015, 09:56 AM

Okay cool.

Perhaps all the ones i had used before were old, cause they didn't feel smooth and i and to put a lot more effort into it.

I guess i'll just have to get a new one!
Old 02-19-2015, 11:13 AM

Gibraltar Catapult and the JoJo are the 2 smoothest action pedals I've tried recently .
Old 02-19-2015, 01:52 PM

I have a gibraltar double kick, but it's super loose and i can't seem to tighten it, but i think it's very bottom end, but that has put a bit of a sour taste in my mouth for gibraltar since all my equipment i had for them was never really good.

But i can check it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle pete View Post
Gibraltar Catapult and the JoJo are the 2 smoothest action pedals I've tried recently .
Old 02-19-2015, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiandrummer25 View Post
I have heard good things about Axis.

Never tried them though
I have one from the mid 90's. It's a brilliant piece of machinery, that's for sure.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:51 PM

Okay that's cool!

Are the newer ones expensive?
Old 02-21-2015, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

The only piece of DW hardware I own is a 5000 pedal. The reason I play a 5000 is because a dozen of my drumming friends all play 5000's. This means that they don't have to constantly bring their pedals to my house and vice-versa.

I've heard good things about the Axis and Jojo pedals. Expect your friends to bring their 5000's when they play your kit.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:45 AM

haha okay

any idea how much the JoJos are?
Old 02-23-2015, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member

Axis pedals are very expensive. I got mine used.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:04 PM

Okay.

What should i be aware of when buying a used pedal?
Old 02-23-2015, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

I wonder and would bet this 1909 Ludwig drum pedal would work as well as many on the market today.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2015, 09:17 PM

Why do you say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
I wonder and would bet this 1909 Ludwig drum pedal would work as well as many on the market today.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Okay.

What should i be aware of when buying a used pedal?
You know what - just buy a new pedal. Save between $200 and $300, and you'll be able to get either the DW, or the Jojo, or...anything else reasonable.

But I got a new DW5000 Accelerator for $179, so that range is about where everybody's top pedal are. Pedals like the Pearl, Trick, and Jojo and a bit higher, but $200 will get you started.

I would avoid used pedals unless you're prepared to dismantle them and see if they need some work done (like near bearings or whatnot).
Old 02-23-2015, 09:43 PM

Okay, yeah i barely have time to even go to the drum shop so i know i won't have time to dismantle it haha.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
You know what - just buy a new pedal. Save between $200 and $300, and you'll be able to get either the DW, or the Jojo, or...anything else reasonable.

But I got a new DW5000 Accelerator for $179, so that range is about where everybody's top pedal are. Pedals like the Pearl, Trick, and Jojo and a bit higher, but $200 will get you started.

I would avoid used pedals unless you're prepared to dismantle them and see if they need some work done (like near bearings or whatnot).
Old 02-24-2015, 06:54 AM
Platinum Member

You know, Bo is right. My Axis pedal started out as double bass pedals which quickly broke on me. I had to turn the slave pedal into a single pedal, which has been working great now for a decade and a half. I bought a couple old pedals too and they both had to be fixed. The belt drive broke during a gig on my Asba and my Speedking needed a complete dismantling and refurbishing. It still needs work though. I tried it on a gig, but I was wishing that I had brought my Axis or Pearl P-930 that I recently bought brand new. It's a great pedal for only $80.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:13 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
You know, Bo is right. My Axis pedal started out as double bass pedals which quickly broke on me. I had to turn the slave pedal into a single pedal, which has been working great now for a decade and a half. I bought a couple old pedals too and they both had to be fixed. The belt drive broke during a gig on my Asba and my Speedking needed a complete dismantling and refurbishing. It still needs work though. I tried it on a gig, but I was wishing that I had brought my Axis or Pearl P-930 that I recently bought brand new. It's a great pedal for only $80.
I also have that Pearl 930 and it's a great pedal. Not as cool as the top tier Demon Drive, but as a workhorse pedal - it's great.

I did the same thing, I'd buy old vintage pedals and tinker around with them to get them to their former glory, but I think I've entered a new phase in my life where I just want to concentrate on getting my playing better, and I do that better with new stuff that I don't have to worry about. If I owned a drumshop doing work for others that would be one thing, or if I was tech-ing drums for a big artist,....
Old 02-24-2015, 07:15 AM

Owned the Iron Cobras for years as well at the 9000's and the 5000 single for a short time. I know use the Jo Mayer Pedal its great..feels like a SpeedKing.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:08 AM

How much was Jojos? And how would you compare it to the Iron Cobras?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeflyer737 View Post
Owned the Iron Cobras for years as well at the 9000's and the 5000 single for a short time. I know use the Jo Mayer Pedal its great..feels like a SpeedKing.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:54 PM

Hands down the smoothest and best feeling pedal I've played is a vintage Camco. It was an extension of my foot and felt light as feather.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:07 AM

Interesting.

I have never heard of that before haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winegums View Post
Hands down the smoothest and best feeling pedal I've played is a vintage Camco. It was an extension of my foot and felt light as feather.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
So as i have a double kick that i am really happy with, i was just wondering what you guys think is the smoothest single kick out there.

Also a durable one that responds quickly.

long board or short, it doesn't matter.

Webster's Dictionary:

Axis Pedal: smoothest, durable, quickest responding pedal in the known universe.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winegums View Post
I still want to get one of those for sure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1515953...lpid=82&chn=ps

Here's one cheap that probably needs a little tinkering. I can't get it right now because I already bought a used Reuther floor tom this month.