DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 02-27-2015, 08:34 PM

Default Easy DW Pedal Modification

Anyone here over notice how once DW changed their pedals over to a dual chain design that the pedal felt heavier? I noticed what seemed to me as a drastic difference in feel between a single chain 5000 and a dual chain 5000.

Upon closer inspection it appears that when DW went to the dual chain design, the foot board position was moved forward as well. At the end of the beater stroke, the chain was nearly perpendicular to the ground whereas the older single chain design had the chain angled back towards the heel plate a bit.

The angle of the chain as you may know is one of the major design changes that sets the Tama Speed Cobra apart from the regular Iron Cobra. The pearl powershifter feature also worked by changing the chain angle through foot board position.

So here is what I did to my DW 7000 pedals to lighten the feel and improve them:

1. Using most of the original pedal parts, I flipped the hinge and mounted it on top of the heel plate which moved the whole foot board back, increasing the chain angle. I did have to use slightly longer screws to attach the hinge to the heel plate. The heel plate did require a little grinding so nothing rubbed the hinge.

2. I indexed the cam forward 1 "flat" to ensure there was still slack in the chain when the pedal rebounded.

3. Installed the dw 5000 ball bearing hinge.

4. Installed the dw high tension spring.

All said and done, the pedal has a MUCH lighter feel and it is easier to get volume out of them at speed because of the mechanical advantage the increased spring angle gives you over the pedal. The addition of the ball bearing hinge and heavy duty spring make the pedal smoother and more responsive as well.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Easy DW Pedal Modification

Very cool and easily done. Putting the bearing hinges on a 7000/3000 makes them just as good as a 5000 and almost as good as a 9000 IMO.

Also thanks for your tips about beater angles on that other thread. I toyed with that and the springs on my 9000s after reading your advice and instantly got at least 10bpm faster. Even the bass player was impressed!
Old 02-27-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankowske View Post
Very cool and easily done. Putting the bearing hinges on a 7000/3000 makes them just as good as a 5000 and almost as good as a 9000 IMO.

Also thanks for your tips about beater angles on that other thread. I toyed with that and the springs on my 9000s after reading your advice and instantly got at least 10bpm faster. Even the bass player was impressed!
Awesome! Glad my words are of use. With the pedal settings mentioned, they kind of work themselves and all you have to do is apply enough force to keep the momentum going.

What is the story with the "foot print" in your avatar?
Old 02-28-2015, 08:07 AM

Those are my schnazzy custom longboards on my 9000 pedals, complete with my footprints and initials. My brother does CAD/CAM for a living, so I designed them and he made them. I've been putting off making a thread about them for too long. I'm just lazy and hate fiddling with cameras and uploading pictures...but I'll do it soon! Someday.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:41 AM

Here is a shot of the chain angle as the pedal sits now. It is very aggressive.

Up close shot of how the hinge worked out.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankowske View Post
Those are my schnazzy custom longboards on my 9000 pedals, complete with my footprints and initials. My brother does CAD/CAM for a living, so I designed them and he made them. I've been putting off making a thread about them for too long. I'm just lazy and hate fiddling with cameras and uploading pictures...but I'll do it soon! Someday.
Very nice foot boards Sir.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:51 PM

I have a 3000 with the delta hinge upgrade. Is it possible to remove the heel plate and then flip the hinge like you did?
Old 02-28-2015, 07:31 PM

When I did mine, I removed the heel plate and then drilled two new holes in the floor plate. I countersunk them on the bottom side and then secured the hinge "flipped" with some #10 flathead screws and nuts and washers. Also I did this first to my 7000s (which should be the same as your 3000s) before I got my 9000s, so yes, very doable.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
I have a 3000 with the delta hinge upgrade. Is it possible to remove the heel plate and then flip the hinge like you did?
Your 3000 is identical to the 7000. You are good to go.