DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 03-03-2015, 12:45 AM

Default Double Bass Left Pedal

My left pedal just feels unresponsive at times and just awkward. I am kinda new to double bass drumming but is there anything I can do to make it feel better? Also, is it worth buying a 2nd bass drum and converting my double pedal into double bass? I'm not talking about money just if it will help. I am also a big skater, could I somehow put one of my bones super swiss bearings into my pedals to make them smoother? Any ideas and suggestions will be appreciated :)
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2015, 09:08 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Double Bass Left Pedal

I don't know much about that pedal that you have, but I've had several Tama's apart before, and the bearings were the same size as skate board bearings. I'm guessing they all probably share that same feature. That's a pretty standard bearing. Pearl Demon Drive was bragging about using a certain skate board bearing when they first came out. I can't remember the name of it. Your pedals are probably pretty good. If they are, then they should have bearings that are close to what you're talking about. I don't think it would make much difference to change them. But it's not big money, so it wouldn't hurt to try it. Try adjusting the settings, and see if you can't make it feel better that way. You're fairly new to Dbl. kick? It's taken me many yr.s to get comfortable with my other foot. Some pick it up faster then others though. I can play all kinds of stuff now that I never thought would happen. I'm a lefty so I play a lot with my right foot on songs, and just grooves that only need one kick. That way I'm improving that foot. All I can tell you is just use it as much as you can, that's only thing that will give you that control. type in Dbl. kick technique on you tube. You'll find all kinds of videos. You need to use some common sense though, because some of the videos aren't helpful. Watch the pro's videos for sure. Good luck
Old 03-05-2015, 09:09 PM

One of the best things you can do is upgrade your drive shaft to the Trick drums drive shaft, which is the same as the Pearl Z-Link. It has zero latency so you can be assured that your slave pedal is solidly connected with no lag.

I did this to my Iron Cobras and the improvement was night and day. When there's slop in those U-joints it makes your left foot work much much harder to be accurate and powerful. I noticed a definite increase in speed, accuracy and power.

You can test if there's slop by holding your beater and rotating your slave pedal cam. If there is slop you'll notice it rotates a bit even though the beater isn't moving. Even if it seems like a small amount those few degrees of play can make a drastic difference in how your pedal plays.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:51 PM

I think the problem with your pedals is quite obvious if that picture is not distorting things: your beaters are much too close to the bass drum. You are not getting enough movement throughout the stroke to use the inertia built into those beaters. Does that pedal allow you to adjust the beater stroke? If so, simply move the pedals further from the bass head in their resting position. This will make a world of difference.

Make sure the beaters are extended all the way to the ends of the beater shafts, too.

With strokes that short, I'm surprised you aren't working yourself to death trying to get enough power and volume.

GeeDeeEmm