DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-09-2013, 05:19 PM

Default Omni-Directional Snare Stands

More and more I find myself fussing around with getting a precise snare angle live. I don't have an issue on my recording / practice kit since it seldom changes, but live it it a real issue for me.

I haven't owned a tooth-and-claw type stand for decades, but almost all snare stands offer movement in one plane: forward and back. To alter the lateral angle you have to start turning the central pipe round, which moves the basket and now your drum is in a different position (not just angle) relative to everything else.... oh man, I am really unhappy with it!

I have an old omni-directional Pearl stand which I always loved but the basket stopped securing drums beyond a certain diameter (threads wore out) so I can't put every drum in it & it's certainly not a stand to take out on gigs IMO.

Anyway, I just wondered if other players feel the same way. To me a Left-to-Right slant on the snare, albeit not a big one, is very important. I really wish this kind of stand was the norm.

Just ordered a used Tama RoadPro stand which I'm hoping will fit the bill, but what do you use? Not looking for something that weighs 4 tons either BTW!
Old 02-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Omni-Directional Snare Stands

The Yamaha ball & socket style stands are just superb in every way. I use the SS950. Well made, stable, not overly heavy, adjustable in every plane instantly, & well priced too. They'll accommodate large diameter hoop drums, occupy a small footprint, & will last for decades. Unbeatable IMO.

I have a DW 9000 snare stand &, considering it's price, it's utter crap by comparison. It works well enough, but adjustment on all planes is by two separate mechanisms, & it weighs a ton. Over engineered, & the castings are fairly poor quality.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2013, 06:52 PM

I really like my Pearl S-2000 which I believe is known as 'gyrolock'. It allows for precise positioning and will take any snare from 10 to 16". This also has an ace grip system that will not damage yet will hold securely your snare with minimal affect to resonance and tone. I find it perfect as it's very easy to adjust whilst still sitting on your throne and a small footprint. To me so far it's the best snare stand I've ever used.

Chromium
Old 02-09-2013, 08:23 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I have a Pearl snare stand, and I love the way it works. I don't love how heavy it is. Judging from Andy's pic, I might pick up one of those Yamaha stands. It looks light and very adjustable. I also like the fact that the snare basket is in line with the support. The snare baskets that are not over the center of the stand...I hate those stands. A ball tilter is a necessity. In fact gearless tilters are a necessity on all my stands. My Pearl stand is just stupid heavy, I'm pretty sure if I jack my car up it would hold it. Works great but too heavy.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

yeah i have one of the gyrolocks too, you can easily achieve jojo mayer's snare angle if required
Old 02-10-2013, 12:06 PM

RE the Pearl S-2000, I can add that I transport my kit a lot and although it is heavy, the thing seems unbreakable. My snare has wooden hoops, so had to get something adjustable and has been extremely happy with Pearl S-2000. Very durable, and very easy to adjust to any angle or height.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

I have the pearl s1000D in case I get a deep snare one day. I don't gig with it but it's not too heavy and the gyro lock is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
look at me, look at me...look what I do
Old 02-10-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
The Yamaha ball & socket style stands are just superb in every way. I use the SS950. Well made, stable, not overly heavy, adjustable in every plane instantly, & well priced too. They'll accommodate large diameter hoop drums, occupy a small footprint, & will last for decades. Unbeatable IMO.

I will certainly look at this when I upgrade another snare stand ( I have 4 or 5). I have used a fair bit of Yamaha hardware over the years.

I have a DW 9000 snare stand &, considering it's price, it's utter crap by comparison. It works well enough, but adjustment on all planes is by two separate mechanisms, & it weighs a ton. Over engineered, & the castings are fairly poor quality.
Right. Over-heavy equipment is not something I want. Ok for my practice kit, but I'd prefer any hardware to be interchangeable to live work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromium View Post
I really like my Pearl S-2000 which I believe is known as 'gyrolock'. It allows for precise positioning and will take any snare from 10 to 16". This also has an ace grip system that will not damage yet will hold securely your snare with minimal affect to resonance and tone. I find it perfect as it's very easy to adjust whilst still sitting on your throne and a small footprint. To me so far it's the best snare stand I've ever used.
The Pearl stand was my first choice actually, but I need to pick up used equipment right now and there wasn't one available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I have a Pearl snare stand, and I love the way it works. I don't love how heavy it is. Judging from Andy's pic, I might pick up one of those Yamaha stands. It looks light and very adjustable. I also like the fact that the snare basket is in line with the support. The snare baskets that are not over the center of the stand...I hate those stands. A ball tilter is a necessity. In fact gearless tilters are a necessity on all my stands. My Pearl stand is just stupid heavy, I'm pretty sure if I jack my car up it would hold it. Works great but too heavy.
Your point about the snare basket being in line with the support is precisely what I was referring to. That's part of the issue with conventional stands - you turn the support round and the whole drum moves position.

Thanks for all the replies!