DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:22 AM
Gold Member

Default Here we go; I'm going to attempt to start my career!

I haven't been around here for awhile, and there have been a few changes in my life. As of yesterday, I've decided that I'm moving out and going to start teaching drumming for a living. I'm going to a new area, and essentially starting from square one. I plan on living very frugally, for less than $800 a month with everything considered. I will not have a car, as I'll be in a city and walk, bike, or ride buses wherever I need to go. I'm curious to see if I'll be able to pull this off, and I don't think it'll be easy, but I'm sure as heck going to try!

Any general words of advice from you veterans would be much appreciated. I have a feeling I'll be on this forum a lot more these days; I've missed you all!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:27 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Here we go; I'm going to attempt to start my career!

Good luck out there! I do hope your teaching takes off even more without having to consider a second job. I have no other words of advice except to jump in with both feet and see what you can make fly - the needs and requirements are always so different from person-to-person.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:33 AM
Platinum Member

Old 01-23-2013, 05:36 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Good luck out there! I do hope your teaching takes off even more without having to consider a second job. I have no other words of advice except to jump in with both feet and see what you can make fly - the needs and requirements are always so different from person-to-person.
The two-foot jump is precisely what I'm attempting; I'll either find out that I'm painfully naive, or it'll work! Either way, I'll have learned something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Haha, this image made me irrationally happy. Thank you :)
Old 01-23-2013, 05:41 AM
Anthony Amodeo

you have an electric personality Luke.....use it to your advantage

try to get out and gig playing all styles of music in your new city ..... gigs have brought me more students than I can handle

I have recently pulled my student roster back to just under 50 because I needed more time to get back out and do these gigs that are being offered and do what I truly love....make music.....but every single gig I get multiple people coming up after a set saying ....do you teach?.....do you have a card?.....and of course I hand out cards .....and there goes the roster piling up again .......
good problem to have ...I know....and I am thankful every day of my life for how busy I am

if you don't already have business cards.....have some made up

honesty is the best policy .....live by that and a cat like you will do very well
Old 01-23-2013, 05:50 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
you have an electric personality Luke.....use it to your advantage

try to get out and gig playing all styles of music in your new city ..... gigs have brought me more students than I can handle

I have recently pulled my student roster back to just under 50 because I needed more time to get back out and do these gigs that are being offered and do what I truly love....make music.....but every single gig I get multiple people coming up after a set saying ....do you teach?.....do you have a card?.....and of course I hand out cards .....and there goes the roster piling up again .......
good problem to have ...I know....and I am thankful every day of my life for how busy I am

if you don't already have business cards.....have some made up

honesty is the best policy .....live by that and a cat like you will do very well

Seriously though, you have just been a huge encouragement to me; I have my healthy share of doubts. There are a few people who question my ability to succeed in this, so it's reassuring to hear such certainty on your part. I definitely plan on trying to get out and gig and do session work as much as I can. And I certainly have cards! I actually just got a brand new batch of 500, and I hope to go through them quickly.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:56 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeSnyder View Post

Seriously though, you have just been a huge encouragement to me; I have my healthy share of doubts. There are a few people who question my ability to succeed in this, so it's reassuring to hear such certainty on your part. I definitely plan on trying to get out and gig and do session work as much as I can. And I certainly have cards! I actually just got a brand new batch of 500, and I hope to go through them quickly.
right on

hit up al the music stores as well and leave a stack of cards with them

parents buying gear for their kids.....and other people just shopping there always ask the cats at the drum department if they know any good teachers.

I got a lot of students this way when I was starting out on my own .

your outgoing personality along with your awesome playing is a recipe for success in my opinion

as for those who questioned my ability to succeed when I embarked on my journey.....I was told to use it as fuel....nah....I didn't need any fuel....my tank was full.....I simply left them behind

I recommend you do the same
Old 01-23-2013, 06:02 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
right on

hit up al the music stores as well and leave a stack of cards with them

parents buying gear for their kids.....and other people just shopping there always ask the cats at the drum department if they know any good teachers.

I got a lot of students this way when I was starting out on my own .

your outgoing personality along with your awesome playing is a recipe for success in my opinion

as for those who questioned my ability to succeed when I embarked on my journey.....I was told to use it as fuel....nah....I didn't need any fuel....my tank was full.....I simply left them behind

I recommend you do the same
Music stores is a great one! I'll do that for sure. I also enjoy buying, selling, and repairing drum stuff on craigslist, and I've found that that can be an effective way to meet new people, and get business cards out there. Making contacts, that's what it's all about!

I like that twist on the whole "feeding off negativity" thing, I'll remember that. Thanks ;)
Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 AM

A good way to find tons of students is to phone school music departments.
The vast majority of my teaching is in schools, and it's nice to get the regular paycheque every month to supplement what I get from private lessons and gigs.
Good luck spreading your drumming knowledge to others
Old 01-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member

Luke, I got your PM, & I'll reply shortly, but I just wanted to add to Anthony's observation here. Your character really comes across in the way you communicate. Not just the written word, but especially on your video presentations. You've got a presentation talent. I'd advise using that to build content on a dedicated website. Do you have a website currently? I know you have your youtube channel, & that's good, but a website is the way to go.

Sure, it's going to be tough, but I know you have the personality to pull this off. best of all = your attitude. You have a superb outlook in general, & come across as being both sincere & accommodating. All in all, you absolutely have the foundation to make this work. A bit of self belief, some challenges along the way, & you'll get there - I have no doubts. If you were a little nearer, I'd get some lessons from you myself!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Where ya goin? Might help to put it up here if you are comfortable.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Gold Member

Just checked out your blog and of your youtube stuff.............some great playing.

Good luck out there................there will always be naysayers.............prove them wrong brother.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

Luke, let us know where's you're moving to so we can suggest to friends looking for a teacher.Good luck. I admire your guts :) Love York, PA though. And the Strand Theater. Have seen some great shows there.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

Luke,

From what I've seen of your work, I think you're the kind of person who can succeed at this. As others have pointed out, you really present yourself well and your enthusiasm is obvious. You have charisma that will pull people in right away, IMO.

Having a sincere passion for it is a huge, huge part. You've got that covered. It's the unexpected curveballs you'll be thrown along the way that will prove most challenging, but you're getting encouragement here from some top pros like Anthony and you should feel really good about that.

Just don't show people that picture of your collarbone sticking out of your neck. That could be a deal-breaker. :)
Old 01-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

Go for it, man. Just don't neglect the performance end. And don't give up-- it can take a lot of years of struggle-- to some extent it's always a struggle. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrummachine View Post
A good way to find tons of students is to phone school music departments.
The vast majority of my teaching is in schools, and it's nice to get the regular paycheque every month to supplement what I get from private lessons and gigs.
Good luck spreading your drumming knowledge to others
That's something I plan on looking into. I know I saw a video from Mike Johnston a while back where he suggested that as a great way to find new students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Luke, I got your PM, & I'll reply shortly, but I just wanted to add to Anthony's observation here. Your character really comes across in the way you communicate. Not just the written word, but especially on your video presentations. You've got a presentation talent. I'd advise using that to build content on a dedicated website. Do you have a website currently? I know you have your youtube channel, & that's good, but a website is the way to go.

Sure, it's going to be tough, but I know you have the personality to pull this off. best of all = your attitude. You have a superb outlook in general, & come across as being both sincere & accommodating. All in all, you absolutely have the foundation to make this work. A bit of self belief, some challenges along the way, & you'll get there - I have no doubts. If you were a little nearer, I'd get some lessons from you myself!
I actually do have a website, although it's been AGES since I've done any work on it. That's something that I am going to crack down on! Thank you so much for your kindness and encouragement Andy, it's always meant a lot to me. Also, I plan to get set up teaching via Skype, so perhaps we can still sit down and chat drums sometime ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolate View Post
Where ya goin? Might help to put it up here if you are comfortable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Luke, let us know where's you're moving to so we can suggest to friends looking for a teacher.Good luck. I admire your guts :) Love York, PA though. And the Strand Theater. Have seen some great shows there.
Toolate and larryz, I'm going to be in the Bethlehem, PA area, near Lehigh university! It looks to be a really nice area, I'm pretty excited to be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Luke,

From what I've seen of your work, I think you're the kind of person who can succeed at this. As others have pointed out, you really present yourself well and your enthusiasm is obvious. You have charisma that will pull people in right away, IMO.

Having a sincere passion for it is a huge, huge part. You've got that covered. It's the unexpected curveballs you'll be thrown along the way that will prove most challenging, but you're getting encouragement here from some top pros like Anthony and you should feel really good about that.

Just don't show people that picture of your collarbone sticking out of your neck. That could be a deal-breaker. :)
I agree that passion and enthusiasm is key, and I certainly love drumming and teaching passionately! I really believe that if I'm obsessed enough, I can make it work :D That's what I'm hoping, at least! It's always been my dream to do it for a living, and I'm extremely excited to finally be giving it a shot. I do feel really good about all of the encouragement and kind words that everyone has posted here. Now, my biggest problem is going to be keeping my ego in check, haha!

And yeah, I think I'll keep those collarbone pictures to myself, haha. My ugly mug is already a big enough drawback as it is ;)
Old 01-23-2013, 06:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
Go for it, man. Just don't neglect the performance end. And don't give up-- it can take a lot of years of struggle-- to some extent it's always a struggle. Good luck!
Very true! I actually think that my new focus and resolve will enable me to devote more time to performance and personal practice/improvement. I find that the more I teach, the more I practice, haha. And yes, I expect it to be hard. But right now, I feel like attacking it. I WANT to have to struggle, that's how I'll know I'm making progress! Thanks for the kind words, Todd!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:15 AM
Platinum Member

It's about time you posted again Luke!!

Good luck.

And keep us updated.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:36 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
It's about time you posted again Luke!!

Good luck.

And keep us updated.
Thanks DED! And I will certainly try to keep you all apprised of what's going on. Right now, I'm attempting to sell off a bunch of extra gear that I don't need, and get my hands on an e-drum setup.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:50 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

Any general words of advice from you veterans would be much appreciated. I have a feeling I'll be on this forum a lot more these days; I've missed you all!
Two words.

Ramen Noodles

Two more.

Happy hour (for the free food)
Old 01-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you so much for your kindness and encouragement Andy, it's always meant a lot to me. Also, I plan to get set up teaching via Skype, so perhaps we can still sit down and chat drums sometime ;)
I'd enjoy that very much. I think I would represent the more challenging end of your student spectrum though (no time for practice, poor base skills, etc) :) :) :)
Old 01-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Renegade

Luke, your instructional videos are entertaining and popular so that's a good sign. Exciting to take the plunge - good luck with the journey!

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-24-2013, 06:20 PM

Being an entrepreneur is very challenging but it's always worth it.

Fears and doubts will surely creep up but when they do, quickly switch
your thoughts into something that you want and give thanks for it.

You can also try to take advantage of search engines. For example, if you're
living in Chicago area, you can build a site and rank it for 'drum teacher chicago'.

I wish you the best with your new journey and btw I love your triplet groove video!

Raymond
Old 01-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post
Two words.

Ramen Noodles

Two more.

Funny! I'll add one: art openings (more free food and wine ...)
Old 01-25-2013, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

Luke, I have no useful advice (no surprise there!) but I wish you the best of luck. If anyone can crack it with students on a personal level, it'll be you!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post
Two words.

Ramen Noodles

Two more.

Haha, I will be living on ramen, rice and beans, and pasta for awhile. Toss in some mixed frozen vegetables and some fruit, and I think I'll survive :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I'd enjoy that very much. I think I would represent the more challenging end of your student spectrum though (no time for practice, poor base skills, etc) :) :) :)
I don't know about that! Once I get situated, I'll send you a message. I like to do my first lesson for free, so perhaps you'll be able to get something out of it regardless, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Luke, your instructional videos are entertaining and popular so that's a good sign. Exciting to take the plunge - good luck with the journey!
Thanks for the kind words Polly, these are indeed exciting times for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoydrummer View Post
Being an entrepreneur is very challenging but it's always worth it.

Fears and doubts will surely creep up but when they do, quickly switch
your thoughts into something that you want and give thanks for it.

You can also try to take advantage of search engines. For example, if you're
living in Chicago area, you can build a site and rank it for 'drum teacher chicago'.

I wish you the best with your new journey and btw I love your triplet groove video!

Raymond
I have plenty of fears and doubts. I'm especially afraid that the are is already saturated with instructors, and there's very little I can do to really gauge my possible success until I get there and wade in. I definitely think it would be a good idea to get a website up and running for that particular purpose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Funny! I'll add one: art openings (more free food and wine ...)
And there's a lot of events like that in the area, which is cool ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Luke, I have no useful advice (no surprise there!) but I wish you the best of luck. If anyone can crack it with students on a personal level, it'll be you!
Thank you so much for the encouragement. Every bit of it helps! Immensely so, actually. This is going to be a completely new experience for me.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I haven't been around here for awhile, and there have been a few changes in my life. As of yesterday, I've decided that I'm moving out and going to start teaching drumming for a living. I'm going to a new area, and essentially starting from square one. I plan on living very frugally, for less than $800 a month with everything considered. I will not have a car, as I'll be in a city and walk, bike, or ride buses wherever I need to go. I'm curious to see if I'll be able to pull this off, and I don't think it'll be easy, but I'm sure as heck going to try!

Man, I just recently lived in Baltimore by myself for a whole semester working at Starbucks and trying to eke out a living with everything, and I can tell you it's difficult. Public transportation is a huge help with traveling long distances and most places that are nearby are really conveniently reached on bike. I was pulling in a little over $800 a month myself with a $500 a month rent lease, and I came out the other end alright. Hopefully your place won't cost that much, and I'm sure you'll be fine. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldhardsteel View Post
Man, I just recently lived in Baltimore by myself for a whole semester working at Starbucks and trying to eke out a living with everything, and I can tell you it's difficult. Public transportation is a huge help with traveling long distances and most places that are nearby are really conveniently reached on bike. I was pulling in a little over $800 a month myself with a $500 a month rent lease, and I came out the other end alright. Hopefully your place won't cost that much, and I'm sure you'll be fine. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it.
Yes, public transport and bikes are the way I'm going to go about it! I'm going to try to go without a day job, which will make the risk greater, but also leave room for a greater potential reward. All things considered, it sounds like you were in a very similar situation to me, financially speaking :D It'll be tight, but that's how it goes!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 PM

Best of luck to you! I am considering moving out and I have a decent day job and even then it is a scarry prospect! I can't imagine doing it without an income.

Sadly, Bethlehem is just a little to far for me or I would be interested in being a student.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
I've missed you all!
... and we've missed you Luke :)

I've been a fan of your videos on YT, I enjoyed watching them, so much interesting playing/tuition/advice.

Good luck in your new adventure man, you certainly have the passion of drumming, a great sense of humor and some genuine skill to teach.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:08 AM
Gold Member

x_25 and MAD, thank you both for your kind words!

Just a little update, things currently look a bit bleak with the move, as both the housing and job situation have taken nosedives. I may be stuck at home awhile longer. Regardless, I'm selling off lots of old drum gear, changing things up, becoming mobile, and starting my life anyways :D
Old 02-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

What's the old saying? We only regret the things that we don't do. I struck out at your age in a van that was converted into an RV. Yep, I lived in a van down by the river. I was taking my showers at the gym everyday. I'm not suggesting that you live in a van, but if there is a will, there is a way.

Best wishes.