DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 02-01-2013, 03:32 AM

Default First Drum Kit Buying Help

Ok, so I posted a topic a few days ago asking for help with buying my first drum kit and I got a lot of good advice and generally everyone said buy used. I also asked my drum teacher and he also said find a good used drum set on ebay or craigslist. So I've been checking both sites lately and I found this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tama-Superst...item3f219cd4d6
Now obviously I'm not going to buy anything without getting advice from experienced drummers first. So I wanted to know if this is a good drumset to buy and even if this isn't a perfect one and I shouldn't get this one, is this the type of drumset I should be looking for? or am I looking for the completely wrong kit?
Also I found that most a lot of the drum sets on ebay and craigslist are basically used kits that I can buy at a local music store brand new for the same price or cheaper. So should I just get a new one from the store or be patient and find a more complete drum set used?
Thanks for any advice I get I really appreciate everyone helping me out.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:35 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: First Drum Kit Buying Help

That looks like a decent, well cared for kit. It comes with some pretty nice cymbals, and the seller even knows how to spell cymbals - ha ha.
It's a 5 piece though. Not 9 piece as listed. Cymbals aren't counted as 'pieces' when listing a kit.

The only problems there, are - it's an in-progress auction, it's got more than 4 days to go, two people are bidding on it now, it's got a 'reserve' price on it and you don't know what that price is, and it's been posted on a drum forum. No telling where it'll end up.

If you're going to use ebay to check prices, look at the 'sold' and 'completed' listings.

Also, if used kits are going for the same as, or close to, the same price as new in your area, I'd most definitely buy new. The only time you wouldn't would be if you're looking for something very specific that's no longer in production, and you aren't willing to settle for an alternative.