DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 07-05-2014, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Default Band merchandise ideas

Hey, Drummerworld. I am looking to procure some cool band merchandise we can sell at shows and on our website. We have posters and some cool, glow-in-the-dark guitar picks with our band logo on them that we give away. I'd like to get some feedback on what has worked for your band, things that have been popular. Some of the more obvious things I'm considering are:

T-shirts (of course)
Stickers (not sure if adhesive bumper stickers or the removable kind that go on windows would be best)
Coffee mugs

But I'm sure there are more cool ideas, and I really want to focus on the ones people will like.

Also, if you have a recommended vendor you worked with to put your logo on some of these items, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2014, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Band merchandise ideas

sombreros. best thing my band ever did.

Paiste
Formula 602
Dimensions
RUDE
Sabian AAX

Ludwig
Iron Cobra
Old 07-06-2014, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Whisky tumblers. Every. Single. Time.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Yes, T-shirts are a must, maybe caps, too.

Mugs aren't a bad idea, however keep in mind that they're fragile and require special handling on your end to avoid breakage.

Adhesive stickers, yes. They're cheap and take up very little space.

It might be smart to sell CDs, and get real ones, not CDRs. Order 500, they're only $1.25/ea or so, and selling at $10 each, you'll make it back in 7 or 8 gigs.

If there's a band logo, you should look into key chains and similar items.

You can get more ideas from an "ad spec" (advertising specialty) company, there are hundreds online.

Bermuda
Old 07-06-2014, 06:56 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Women's panties with the bands name on the ass.

Lar, what kind of music do you play with this band? How many bands are you in? How often do you play out?

Gomez Addams
Old 07-06-2014, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Yes, T-shirts are a must, maybe caps, too.

Mugs aren't a bad idea, however keep in mind that they're fragile and require special handling on your end to avoid breakage.

Adhesive stickers, yes. They're cheap and take up very little space.

It might be smart to sell CDs, and get real ones, not CDRs. Order 500, they're only $1.25/ea or so, and selling at $10 each, you'll make it back in 7 or 8 gigs.

If there's a band logo, you should look into key chains and similar items.

You can get more ideas from an "ad spec" (advertising specialty) company, there are hundreds online.

Bermuda
Thanks so much for the tips, Jon. We do have a nice stash of CDs we had made through CD Baby and we sell them at our gigs. We do indeed have a band logo and getting it on more merchandise is what got me thinking about this. Key chains are a great idea. Thanks again!
Old 07-06-2014, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Women's panties with the bands name on the ass.

Lar, what kind of music do you play with this band? How many bands are you in? How often do you play out?
Larry,

This is a rock/pop/folk type group. We specialize in summer concert-in-the-park shows locally. We typically play two or three shows a month during the summer.

I play with a few different groups; whatever is available, I take! One of the guitar players in this band is part of another band and I sub for their regular drummer whenever he's not available, which is quite often because he's a really busy guy. Trying to get a jazz trio off the ground but running into some obstacles there. I also record for some local artists who are trying to get their solo projects going.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

Autographed condoms. Make sure you get the extra large size.

Seriously, a few years back our running club got a nice deal on USB drives with our logo on them. Everybody loved them. The one we chose doubled as a bottle opener. Lots of companies offer these. You could even have them preload a bunch of MP3s on it.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Larry,

This is a rock/pop/folk type group. We specialize in summer concert-in-the-park shows locally. We typically play two or three shows a month during the summer.

I play with a few different groups; whatever is available, I take! One of the guitar players in this band is part of another band and I sub for their regular drummer whenever he's not available, which is quite often because he's a really busy guy. Trying to get a jazz trio off the ground but running into some obstacles there. I also record for some local artists who are trying to get their solo projects going.
sunglasses?

Beer cooler holder things?

Anything summer festival related would be wuite a cool angle
Old 07-07-2014, 04:26 PM

Lighters.

In Australia it is almost a must to do stubbie holders, (you know, the rubbery things that you can put a bottle of beer in to keep it cold).

I've also seen drink coasters with band logos. Find a business or artist that has one of those laser cutter machines and you are golden.

I usually think about things that are designed for partying or having a good time. It's good to associate your band with that thought process.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks again for the recs. I like the idea of the beer cozies.

Question for the more graphic-design-literate folks: We have a logo that was created by an artist but it's 72dpi. If I want to get a 300dpi version, can a good artist recreate what was done at the higher resolution? I realize that saving the file at a higher dpi would just mean making it smaller. What I'm hoping is that someone could essentially "re-draw" it at a higher res.

I'm a bit uneducated about this stuff, so just looking for some tips. I would pay a professional to do this.

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2014, 05:28 PM
Silver Member

That depends on what the original artist used. For example, if they used Illustrator or a similar vector based tool, they probably just rendered the output to 72 dpi for you to use on the web or similar. It would be no problem from them to render the output at 300 dpi or higher (assuming they have the original vector file, that is - did you get a .ai or .eps or .pdf file too?). OTOH, if they just used a simple pixel-oriented paint program, the best you could hope for would be to load the file into an image processing program (Photoshop, GIMP, etc.) and apply some smoothing filters while resetting to 300 dpi. That will be better than a simple blow-up, but still less than perfect.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Silver Member

Our next thing is going to be a USB keychain fob that is also a bottle opener. I'm going to create a website on the USB key that has all of our bios, music, interviews, etc. When you plug into a Windows machine it will autoexec... on a Mac notsomuch but anyway, that's the idea.

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com
Old 07-07-2014, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

Here's what ours looked like. I think they were 2 Gig, this was 2 or 3 years ago. One side was screened and the other was laser etched. We got them from flashbay.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2014, 01:28 AM
Platinum Member

Awesome. Thanks so much, guys.

Jim, I have reached out to the guy who did the original work in hopes that he has a high-res version, but we'll see. In the meantime, I downloaded a trail version of Photoshop and was able to enlarge using one of the tools and it looks pretty good at A4 size at 300dpi. That should suffice for most of our needs.

Thanks again for the replies, all.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:22 AM
Platinum Member

Too bad not everyone can follow the Gene Simmons model of KISS merchandising - just sell EVERYTHING!

Bobble heads, comics, dolls, pins, clothes, hats....statues.....I don't think there's anything that guy wouldn't sell!
Old 07-08-2014, 04:15 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Thanks again for the recs. I like the idea of the beer cozies.

Question for the more graphic-design-literate folks: We have a logo that was created by an artist but it's 72dpi. If I want to get a 300dpi version, can a good artist recreate what was done at the higher resolution? I realize that saving the file at a higher dpi would just mean making it smaller. What I'm hoping is that someone could essentially "re-draw" it at a higher res.

I'm a bit uneducated about this stuff, so just looking for some tips. I would pay a professional to do this.
Lar, if you have problems finding a pro designer I'm happy to do it.

My last boss when I was working had a film production company on the side and she also had the same issue with a small logo and no high res versions or the original vector image. How do-able it is depends on the complexity of the logo.

Soundcloud stream
Old 07-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

8 mile, I left you a PM but your inbox is full....
Old 07-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Oops! Sorry about that. I just noticed that and came here to see if you tried. Should be all set now. Thanks, Karl!