DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 01-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

Default New Zildjian Stuff

http://zildjian.com/newfor2013

Re-designed lines, and 4 new/re-released cymbals including a 23" Sweet Ride.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: New Zildjian Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
http://zildjian.com/newfor2013

Re-designed lines, and 4 new/re-released cymbals including a 23" Sweet Ride.
................You can use it with a 23" DW Bass drum, lol

I wonder how much the new Gen16 pickup is improved?
Old 01-24-2013, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting. I got my 22" Medium Ride about a year and a half ago and knew that it was much lighter than the one I had before and lighter than anything I'd heard that wasn't vintage, and even suspected that maybe Zildjian finally fired their lazy lathe operator for not putting enough ass into it. Now we know!

I'm hopeful that they can fix what's been ailing the rest of the A series with this approach. Those things have been nasty for too long (except the New Beats - I hope they don't hose those up!). It's amazing what a difference there is between an A Thin Crash and an A Custom Crash. Hopefully they can close that gap a little bit.

I predict that the 23" Sweet Ride is going to be a smash hit.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

...I'm hopeful that they can fix what's been ailing the rest of the A series with this approach. Those things have been nasty for too long (except the New Beats - I hope they don't hose those up!)....

Hey - watch it there buddy - LOL. I got an A Classic pack not too long ago, and like every cymbal in there.

The 16 and 18" Fast Crashes are listed as 'paper thin', and they sound really good. I like the Sweet Ride enough that I got two of them, and New Beats are my 'forever' hats. I've got three pairs of them, and have used them for the whole time I've been playing.
No complaints about the whole set.

I did get three K rides in the last couple months, and they've got a whole different, complimentary character. Not because I wasn't satisfied with the A stuff I've got, but just to have alternatives when the mood strikes me. They get along well with the A's - LOL.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

Updated logo ? What does that mean ?? Last week I was at my local music store, where the guy who runs the drum dep't is really knowledgable about cymbals, and used to work for Zildjian. He mentioned that Zildjian is dialing the A line back to the weights of yore. I have an old and newer pair of New Beats, and the newer ones are defintely heavier and sharper sounding, but I still use them happily.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

I've always preferred "A" Zildjians also my 20" med-thin is absolutely adorable..lol

cant wait to hear the revised thin crashes & the 23" sweet ride.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead
Old 01-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

The dull, clangy, crappy sound the A series had starting around 2000 is what made me switch from them.
I couldn't get a decent sounding 20" crash at all! They sent 6 or 8 20" Medium Thin cymbals before I said forget it, and went with another brand. It got worse with what was sent to the shop after that too.

Actually, the only really good sounding A series cymbals I had heard between '00 and '08 were Steve Riley's (LA Guns) 19's and 20's. THOSE sound like what A's are supposed to sound like. Of course, he gets to pick them at the factory...

Maybe it's turning a big page back to the nice, shimmery, smooth sound again. The cymbals in the video sure sounded nice.

If people have recently been getting A's that sound like this video, then they've gone back to the previous weight and profiles. That's cool, I've waited 13 years for it to happen. Now all they have to do is bring back the freakin' Swish model.

The 23" Sweet Ride is VERY appealing to me, and the 20" Medium Thin too....even though I just got a crapload of Paiste's...
Old 01-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey - watch it there buddy - LOL. I got an A Classic pack not too long ago, and like every cymbal in there.
hehe - yeah, but you got the paper thins, so there you go! I should say that not all of them sound nasty to me, I just have to look longer to find the ones I like is all. Also, I'm mostly referring to the crashes. For some reason they're the ones I've been having the most trouble liking in recent years (but nothing an A Custom or K can't address).

I'm pretty excited about checking out the larger thinner crashes - especially that 20" Thin and Medium Thin. I wonder what's going to become of the Armands. I haven't seen many of those around lately. Hmmm.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

"Nothing an A Custom wouldn't address"....

Yeah, in '00-'01, that's what I got from the Zildjian reps when they would come to the shop!
I'd say "Why can't I...?", then I'd get, "well, we have the A Custom "__" and it'll blahblahblah..."
Well, if I WANTED an A Custom, I'd buy one, but I wanted the style and sound I always got before they changed to a heavier weight. I also DIDN'T want Brilliant cymbals.

The discontinuing of the 20" Swish/whole Swish model--right when I was going to buy a new one REALLY bummed me out.
I was thinking, "Thanks Craiggie for screwing up the company" for a long time.
I had a couple polite, but pretty frank discussions with a couple Zildjian reps to let my displeasure with what was happening known, so SOMEONE would hear. I knew I wasn't the only one feeling the way I did.

Zildjian must have gotten A LOT of requests, or enough people were leaving/not buying to make this kind of move.

I'm glad they did, and with this change I'm probably back in the "I'll likely be buying...", instead of the "I'll never buy one of their cymbals again" column--after I hear some of these new one's of course.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Glad to see the thinner cymbals again. I've been screaming about this for years.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2013, 10:18 PM
Silver Member

Can't say that I like the new A logo on there. It looks too much like A Custom. I wish they would just go back to the block lettering with "Zildjian" written on there. Yes, I'm that shallow ...
Old 01-24-2013, 10:25 PM

A 23" Sweet Ride?!

Shut up and take my money!!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverok View Post
Yes, I'm that shallow ...
You and me both. I've been waiting for Sabian to change their logo since, oh I dunno, '82 or so ... ;)
Old 01-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

All the moderne thin A series crashes I've tryed in the last few years have felt more like a medium weight. I'm hoping that the new thin, will actually feel like thin.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swexx View Post
A 23" Sweet Ride?!

Shut up and take my money!!

Can't wait to hear that one.

Just call me Rip van Winkle - ha ha. Until 2012, I was using Zildjians that I bought around 1980, so I missed a lot of years, and ups and downs with them.
Can't really say I'm too dis-satisfied with what I've been hearing from them lately.
Of course, I like some more than others, but that's to be expected with anything, right?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
The dull, clangy, crappy sound the A series had starting around 2000 is what made me switch from them.
I couldn't get a decent sounding 20" crash at all! They sent 6 or 8 20" Medium Thin cymbals before I said forget it, and went with another brand. It got worse with what was sent to the shop after that too.

Actually, the only really good sounding A series cymbals I had heard between '00 and '08 were Steve Riley's (LA Guns) 19's and 20's. THOSE sound like what A's are supposed to sound like. Of course, he gets to pick them at the factory...

Maybe it's turning a big page back to the nice, shimmery, smooth sound again. The cymbals in the video sure sounded nice.

If people have recently been getting A's that sound like this video, then they've gone back to the previous weight and profiles. That's cool, I've waited 13 years for it to happen. Now all they have to do is bring back the freakin' Swish model.

The 23" Sweet Ride is VERY appealing to me, and the 20" Medium Thin too....even though I just got a crapload of Paiste's...
That's funny you said newer A's the 20" med-thin I was referring too was a 80's "A" hopefully now that they're redefining the series there won't. be such a sound difference between the same cymbal which has been haunting Zildjian for years IMO.

Bonzolead
Old 01-25-2013, 08:10 AM

I have to wonder if music stores will put the older A's on sale so they can stock the new ones.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:46 PM

FINALLY !!!!!

I've been complaining about the weight of the A. Zildjian line for years. The Zildjian reps told me that they increased the weight to appeal to the hard hitters. My question was always, "What about the thousands of us who desire the classic Zildjian sound - the sound that made Zildjian the company that it is?" SURPRISE - I NEVER RECEIVED AN ANSWER. YES, YES, YES - SOMETHING THAT MAKES SENSE !!!!

Ohhhhhhh - a 23" Sweet Ride !! Here goes more money !!

Last edited by KirbyM; 01-26-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Yeah, in '00-'01, that's what I got from the Zildjian reps when they would come to the shop!
I'd say "Why can't I...?", then I'd get, "well, we have the A Custom "__" and it'll blahblahblah..."
Well, if I WANTED an A Custom, I'd buy one, but I wanted the style and sound I always got before they changed to a heavier weight. I also DIDN'T want Brilliant cymbals.

The discontinuing of the 20" Swish/whole Swish model--right when I was going to buy a new one REALLY bummed me out.
I had a couple polite, but pretty frank discussions with a couple Zildjian reps to let my displeasure with what was happening known, so SOMEONE would hear. I knew I wasn't the only one feeling the way I did.

Zildjian must have gotten A LOT of requests, or enough people were leaving/not buying to make this kind of move.

I'm glad they did, and with this change I'm probably back in the "I'll likely be buying...", instead of the "I'll never buy one of their cymbals again" column--after I hear some of these new one's of course.
Did I miss something? I thought they just redesigned the Swish Knocker? Or are you referring to the fact that they used to have other types of swishes, pangs, etc.?
Old 01-26-2013, 01:14 AM
Gold Member

Any one know where we can here this epic 23" Sweet Ride???
Old 01-26-2013, 03:19 AM
Platinum Member

Saw them today.

Yes, thinner.

Seem nice.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Saw them today.

Yes, thinner.

Seem nice.
You sound: enthusiastic.

C'mon, man, give us a review! It don't do nobody no good to have you down there on the front lines checkin it all out to only be posting that. Give us some gossipy goodness worthy of the sleaziest tabloids! Get paparazzi on them pies, Ian! Give us some DIRT!
Old 01-26-2013, 03:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
You sound: enthusiastic.

C'mon, man, give us a review! It don't do nobody no good to have you down there on the front lines checkin it all out to only be posting that. Give us some gossipy goodness worthy of the sleaziest tabloids! Get paparazzi on them pies, Ian! Give us some DIRT!
I am actually!

But everyone else seems to have really nailed the description, so there isn't much to say that hasn't already been said about them. LOL.

Other than, yes, it is true. They are indeed thinner and are indeed made to emulate vintage A's. And the new logo is nifty. I'll upload some pictures later.

I didn't see the 23" Sweet ride, but that's why I check in here, so I can go back tomorrow and get more info on what people are talking about.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Yes, well, it's no coincidence they lost a ton of big name endorsers over the last 10 years.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:53 AM
Platinum Member

The other "new" thing is the mic/pick up system used on the Gen-x e-cymbals is now available to used on regular cymbals.

The downside is you have to drill a small hole. I couldn't believe it when my rep told me you really have to drill, but he says enough people requested that this system be adapted to regular cymbals, they made it.

It's neat, and adds a cool visual aspect as well as a great sonic aspect for live and recording. But drill? really? I don't know about that.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post

....I didn't see the 23" Sweet ride, but that's why I check in here, so I can go back tomorrow and get more info on what people are talking about.

23" Sweet Ride !

23" Sweet Ride !

23" Sweet Ride !

23" Sweet Ride !

LOL !

I want one, and I haven't even heard it yet. Check it out please.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:05 AM

I played the 23" Sweet Ride this morning, during a rare quiet moment at the show, and loved it. Great stick definition, good bell and not bad crashability.

\,,/
Old 01-26-2013, 06:36 PM

Check out these youtube videos about the new A Series Zildjian cymbals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW67sRXYhcE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAk3ix7XSFM

I am truly excited. This is the best news Zildjian has had in years. They finally may be paying attention to the product that made them successful. It's OK to offer cymbals that are heavier, thinner, or whatever the case may be. It was not good logic to take away the product that made the company so huge. For years, Zildjian reps would not admit that the company had changed the weight of its A Series cymbals. When I offered to bring in a scale, and weigh them, the reps would mumble and find an excuse not to talk anymore. Jeeeeeeeeez, I wonder what changed everyone's minds at the factory? Possibly, too many complaints? Too many people choosing other brands of cymbals?
Old 01-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Gold Member

This is great news! I've really liked most of the older A Zildjians I've owned or played, but was completely turned off by how heavy and clangy they've been for the last ten years or so.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
23" Sweet Ride !

23" Sweet Ride !

23" Sweet Ride !

23" Sweet Ride !

LOL !

I want one, and I haven't even heard it yet. Check it out please.
I went back.

Really nice.

It has a nice mix of spread and ping. Really sweet spread, but I noticed it never got overly washy, and there was no annoying overbear roar you often get when playing a lot of notes on a big ride. It was almost like it had a built in compressor so you could get all the nice spread of a thinner ride, but without it washing out on you.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:11 AM
Silver Member

I was hoping they would drop their Z3 line and bring back the Z custom.

They haven't come to their senses yet.

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K
Old 01-27-2013, 06:38 AM

When will these be in the stores for us mere mortals to purchase?

Last edited by KirbyM; 01-27-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:05 AM

I was told the new A series would probably be in stores by May.

\,,/
Old 01-27-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Boyd View Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the new 23" Sweet Ride.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:59 PM
audiotech

I'm not interested, I'll stick with my 21". If I went with the 23" I would have to buy a new cymbal bag, lol.

Dennis
Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyM View Post
Check out these youtube videos about the new A Series Zildjian cymbals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW67sRXYhcE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAk3ix7XSFM

I am truly excited. This is the best news Zildjian has had in years. They finally may be paying attention to the product that made them successful. It's OK to offer cymbals that are heavier, thinner, or whatever the case may be. It was not good logic to take away the product that made the company so huge. For years, Zildjian reps would not admit that the company had changed the weight of its A Series cymbals. When I offered to bring in a scale, and weigh them, the reps would mumble and find an excuse not to talk anymore. Jeeeeeeeeez, I wonder what changed everyone's minds at the factory? Possibly, too many complaints? Too many people choosing other brands of cymbals?
Crap. Now I want to sell some cymbals to get these lighter models. I hate it when that happens...
Old 01-27-2013, 08:11 PM

Same here. Looks like I'll be doing some housecleaning. I won't get rid of anything until I hear the new ones.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyM View Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the new 23" Sweet Ride.
You're welcome, I got this answer directly from Paul Francis of Zildjian, whom I met at NAMM. He is a very articulate and interesting guy (and the person responsible for the 23" Sweet Ride). Paul told me several great stories during my very entertaining visit to the Zildjian booth. (Picture of us below.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
I'm not interested, I'll stick with my 21". If I went with the 23" I would have to buy a new cymbal bag, lol.

Dennis
It might be worth it! The cymbal sounded fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtThump View Post
Crap. Now I want to sell some cymbals to get these lighter models. I hate it when that happens...
My thoughts exactly!

_
Attached Images

\,,/
Old 01-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Boyd View Post
I heard that that's what NAMM stands for: Not Available, Maybe May ;)
Old 01-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

I wonder if this will affect the Fast crashes ( paper thin weight )?