DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-22-2013, 07:05 PM

Default I finally got a cajon - HELP (muffling, miking, what to hit it with)

Hey guys so I got a Meinl Cajon finally I liked the sound of this the most out of the options and price range I had to work with.

Anywho!
I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips and tricks about cajons,
Maybe muffling the strings a bit, or micing it, things to hit it with (I know hands, brushes, and mallets) any other cool things to do with it?

This is my first cajon and first time playing one a lot.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 AM

Default Re: I finally got a cajon HELP

Hey man! Congrats on the new piece of gear! Cajons are a great tool especially in an acoustic setting. You can replace an entire kit with it. I've played many a gig with mine and it never fails to get compliments on the sound. As far as tuning, similarly to anything else, its all about personal preferance. Do you know how to tune it?
As far as muffling, i've actually achieved pretty solid results literally just wadding up paper towel and taping them to the inside head of the instrument. I've also tried putting in the evans eq pad, and it sounds decent, but a little to muffled for my taste.
As far as playing tips, I usually do it the same as most other hand drums. But experiment! As with any hand drum an open hand will achieve different results than a closed one. Also for fun, try sliding your foot up the front of the cajon towards your body. The pitch will get higher as you slide up, super cool for fills and whatnot. There are also these cool little toys made by LP called finger shots. They are tiny shakers that go on your fingers, and they only shake in one direction. They are awesome for any hand drum. HIGHLY recommended.
Hope some of this helps!
A little food for thought, my cajon is a lower end version of what you have, so some of the things I said may work differently for you, but they shouldnt be to drastically different.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:22 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: I finally got a cajon HELP

I got the basic Headliner cajon for Christmas. I've used it a couple of acoustic jams. I'm probably playing it all wrong but I've gotten compliments from the other musicians. Basically I've been attempting to emulate a drum set (at least bass and snare). Sometimes I'll bang a tambourine against my left leg and play a bass pattern with my right hand on the cajon. I'm just making it up as I go along. It's a blast to play.